Old 05-01-2012, 06:08 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChiaro View Post
Hmmm, I thought it was Grim...
Old 05-01-2012, 06:17 PM

mgakathereaper/Mike... Welcome To AA!!!

Old 05-01-2012, 10:33 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome. Looks like a great forum.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:36 AM

Bart and Meta,
Thanks for the photos and set up descriptions, it really is a beautiful system. When I showed my wife a photo of the G2, she said "they don't go with the room, if we're getting those you'll have to redecorate". I wasn't expecting that. I'm not sure if she realizes how big they are, or how much they cost. Then again I'm not sure of the cost in the UK, I did fill in the 'contact us' form on their web site a couple of weeks ago, but no reply, the same with TAD.
No doubt I'll get to listen to them, and get more information, in Munich over the next few days.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:47 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgakathereaper View Post
Bart-

Awesome setup and pics. Having Dickie around to assist with setup isn't such a bad option either...

This is my first post here and I ran across this forum doing a search for Giya G2's. In my case I will be purchasing the Giya G2's in the near future so I am researching others experience with them. Like you, I have will opt for the Piano Black.

I will be using for 2-Channel as well as Theater and I am looking at the C1 and V1w's as well but that will be phase two once I get my 2-channel dialed in.

So some quick questions that I am wrestling with and realize are somewhat subjective and room dependent.

Bass Response
- I have seen this topic covered a bit but figured I would ask again. For 2-channel audio do you find the bass sufficient now that they are breaking in?
- For Theater do you find the bass sufficient for Low Frequency Effects?

I suspect I will be happy with the bass for 2-Channel but not sure for Theater. It looks like you have some real-world experience given your setup.

Voicing
- How difficult has it been to get the ideal placement in your room to optimize sweet-spot, tonality, etc.
- Did you end up pretty close to the 60 degree recommendation in the manual? If you have distances between speakers and listening position that would be great.

I appreciate your time and insight. I cant wait to get these into my own home.
Mike, first of all a warm welcome.
I came to this forum in the same way, by googling Burmester.
Thanks for the compliments, I'll pass them on to my wife too (she's the photographer).

Bass: for 2-channel the Vivid G2Giya's go quite deep; I'm an organ fan, and there is surely output down to 20 Hz.
for theater: for the moment I'm still doing it with my little PV-1, but plan to deviate all the bass to my G2Giya's, as they are far superior. I might add a decent sub in the
future. I was waiting for Vivid but Dic assured me he has no further plans in this area.
Voicing: a really big sweet spot. We played a bit with positioning and when I measure it now, we are very close to an equilateral triangle (3m-3m-3m). The way the music comes lose from the speakers is THE big point of attraction with Vivid Audio.

Good luck with the purchase!!

Bart
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 05-02-2012, 07:01 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremayne View Post
Bart and Meta,
Thanks for the photos and set up descriptions, it really is a beautiful system. When I showed my wife a photo of the G2, she said "they don't go with the room, if we're getting those you'll have to redecorate". I wasn't expecting that. I'm not sure if she realizes how big they are, or how much they cost. Then again I'm not sure of the cost in the UK, I did fill in the 'contact us' form on their web site a couple of weeks ago, but no reply, the same with TAD.
No doubt I'll get to listen to them, and get more information, in Munich over the next few days.
Hi Colin, PM sent!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 05-02-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremayne View Post
Bart and Meta,
Hi Colin,

I was pretty much opposed to the Giya G2 looks too - not too happy about having them in our living room. However, when I heard them that did not matter anymore, and I have to admit that the shape has been "growing" on me.

Going to Munich - what a great opportunity! You'll be able to listen and compare. By the way Laurence Dickie will be there himself. I am sure you will find him very accessible!

cheers,
Meta

Last edited by meza; 05-02-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:23 PM

Bart-

Thx for taking the time to respond. Most helpful. If you are saying the G2's are playing down to 20Hz (vs the 30Hz spec) then I have no concerns on this topic. I suspect I might consider a sub for LFE in theater mode but wont know until I see how they react in my room first.

Glad to see you confirm the "large" sweet spot since that was a driving aspect for me on these speakers. It will be nice to remove my virtual head vise and allow my flanking seats to enjoy the sound staging as well.

Equilateral would indeed work for me given my room so this is good news as well. I will certainly experiment with distances and toe-in as they break in.

So how well does the C1 center channel blend in with your G2's? I realize they are built using same drivers so in theory they should blend nicely.

Thanks again.

Mike
Old 05-03-2012, 03:04 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgakathereaper View Post
Bart-

Thx for taking the time to respond. Most helpful. If you are saying the G2's are playing down to 20Hz (vs the 30Hz spec) then I have no concerns on this topic. I suspect I might consider a sub for LFE in theater mode but wont know until I see how they react in my room first.

Glad to see you confirm the "large" sweet spot since that was a driving aspect for me on these speakers. It will be nice to remove my virtual head vise and allow my flanking seats to enjoy the sound staging as well.

Equilateral would indeed work for me given my room so this is good news as well. I will certainly experiment with distances and toe-in as they break in.

So how well does the C1 center channel blend in with your G2's? I realize they are built using same drivers so in theory they should blend nicely.

Thanks again.

Mike
Hi Mike,

My C1 sounded good right out of the crate, and blends in nicely indeed.
Of course, my amplification is not as good as for the G2Giya's (that's for the future).
The G2Giya's overpower my PV1 totally in the bass aspect. No worries here.

Cheers,
Bart
Old 05-05-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meza View Post
Hi Colin,

I was pretty much opposed to the Giya G2 looks too - not too happy about having them in our living room. However, when I heard them that did not matter anymore, and I have to admit that the shape has been "growing" on me.

Going to Munich - what a great opportunity! You'll be able to listen and compare. By the way Laurence Dickie will be there himself. I am sure you will find him very accessible!

cheers,
Meta
Hi Meza & Bart,

Munich was indeed a great experience, and it was extremely interesting to meet and talk to Laurence Dickie, thanks for the introduction. Unfortunately the G2 was only on static display, and the G3s were set up in a small space, within a very large, noisy hall. Despite that they did sound remarkably good. The Vivid Giya is certainly a possibility. My, untreated, room may be a problem as I sit 4.5 meters away from the speakers, the only way to find out is a home demonstration. Laurence is willing to arrange that if I decide to go down that route.
Thanks again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0673a.jpg (39.6 KB, 232 views)