AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Meridian Audio

Meridian Audio Listen Closely

Old 08-11-2012, 02:07 AM

Ok, read the burmester 111 manual, it's a very cute one-box solution. But Sooloos is a complete server-client based system that works like One. Made for 20k-100k music collections with everything that demands.

Burmester comes with 3TB storage, That's it! Sooloos can attach many, many MD600 file cabinets NOT IN YOUR LISTENING ROOM. Each containing one RAID 1 pair of 3.5" drives, 2x4TB or whatever you need. The HDD do not have to be preassembled by Burmester, I lol:ed when I read that one.

They are simply a world apart. The Burmester 111 is a one-box PC with ripper, preamp player.

Sooloos is a music system. Working with many zones and several streams active at the same time for bigger installments, bigger music collections, more mature, what else ; alot!

Now that was only the system layout part, what about the listening experience. Well Sooloos cards are available for all reference sources, but here is the difference, NO PC inside reference electronics. That one is a big point when it comes to absolute performance. The simplicity of an Meridian reference 818 preamp with built in Meridian Streaming card makes Meridians job much easier to accomplish, the EFI/RMI you DON'T have to handle is just a mindboggling difference.

Now the Meridian users don't need to work with petty playlists to listen to music continously for a specific setting. We FOCUS and we SWIM.

Focus sets the criteria to what you want to listen to, but it's not just diana krall even though you can but what about her bass player, what did he do in my collection, I can focus on him and find all recordings he played on in my collection, read a professional review of that album which I'm not familiar with, find the top picks hits on that album.

Swim is the traversing DJ if you will, he sees the albums you focused on, they can be 5 they can be 5000 or whatever size and pics the best "top picks" in that collection while also varying in a broader scope from time to time. My first reply to a friend when I got the Meridian Streaming System was "Damn I listen to the best radiochannel in the world in reference quality" - for me that is.. But you listen to your music and it will bring out the Best in your collection.

All this power and it's so easy to use, intuitively. This is why Meridian Streaming former called Sooloos is still considered The Best!

Last edited by Crion; 08-11-2012 at 02:14 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:22 AM
Music Provides Joy

Do any of the meridian streaming devices allow USB or Firewire out to any DAC?

Listening Room (2 Channel): Vandersteen 5A speakers, Simaudio Moon Neo 400M Mono Block Amplifiers, Esoteric D-07X DAC (preamp) via Apple Mac Mini (Roon), Furman IT-Reference 20i Power Cond., Wireworld.
Listening Room (HT Portion): Vandersteen VCC-5 Center, Vandersteen VSM Signature Surrounds, JL Audio CR1 Crossover, JL Audio f110 v2 Subwoofer, Marantz SR 5010 Receiver, Wireworld

Office: KEF R500 Speakers; Sonos Amp fed by Roon
Family Room: Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers, McIntosh MA6600 Integrated Amplifier, Pro-Ject RME 9.1 TT w/ Sumiko Blackbird MC Cart.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:09 AM
Rebellious!

I think that we all overlook the function of actually putting your music on ANY media server. That task takes lots of Labor!

I agree Sooloos is the Best! and I always want the best, as many do here...

Still!Yet! HOWEVER... for MUCH less. I purchased a McIntosh Music Server, McIntosh SACD Player/ DAC and Sony CD Changer and I got:

Automated Track Titles, Album Names, and Cover Art
Automated CD Ripping (batch ripping at 400 discs at a time)
CD Changer Control (X3)
SACD Playback
iPad Remote Control Capability
Back up Capability
CD Burning Capability
Vinyl Archiving Capability
Variable Line level output aka no need for a preamp (assuming you have a Vinyl Preamp)

The drawback is that both the Music Server and the CD Changer are discontinued. Service has potential hazards, however none experienced so far.

My recommendation for the Sooloos.
1. If you have the resources, pay to have all your music transferred to your Meridian Digital Media System.
2. Buy as much storage and back up capability you can afford.
3. Buy an external Meridian or better DAC. i.e. DCS
Old 08-11-2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfr01 View Post
Do any of the meridian streaming devices allow USB or Firewire out to any DAC?
If we start from the top meridian streaming reference sources, you will probably not gain much by adding another reference DAC to them.

These are 818 and 808.3.

818 Backside

808.3 backside

Just connect them to your favourite preamp OR amp if using it's preamp function via XLR or single ended RCA as they already are reference grade DAC's.

The MS600 is the G series meridian streaming source and if you want you can gain some by using a reference DAC, but it is a high quality DAC so it's no slouch if you are not having a current reference DAC.

MS600 backside
Old 08-11-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crion View Post
Ok, read the burmester 111 manual, it's a very cute one-box solution. But Sooloos is a complete server-client based system that works like One. Made for 20k-100k music collections with everything that demands.

Burmester comes with 3TB storage, That's it! Sooloos can attach many, many MD600 file cabinets NOT IN YOUR LISTENING ROOM. Each containing one RAID 1 pair of 3.5" drives, 2x4TB or whatever you need. The HDD do not have to be preassembled by Burmester, I lol:ed when I read that one.

They are simply a world apart. The Burmester 111 is a one-box PC with ripper, preamp player.

Sooloos is a music system. Working with many zones and several streams active at the same time for bigger installments, bigger music collections, more mature, what else ; alot!

Now that was only the system layout part, what about the listening experience. Well Sooloos cards are available for all reference sources, but here is the difference, NO PC inside reference electronics. That one is a big point when it comes to absolute performance. The simplicity of an Meridian reference 818 preamp with built in Meridian Streaming card makes Meridians job much easier to accomplish, the EFI/RMI you DON'T have to handle is just a mindboggling difference.

Now the Meridian users don't need to work with petty playlists to listen to music continously for a specific setting. We FOCUS and we SWIM.

Focus sets the criteria to what you want to listen to, but it's not just diana krall even though you can but what about her bass player, what did he do in my collection, I can focus on him and find all recordings he played on in my collection, read a professional review of that album which I'm not familiar with, find the top picks hits on that album.

Swim is the traversing DJ if you will, he sees the albums you focused on, they can be 5 they can be 5000 or whatever size and pics the best "top picks" in that collection while also varying in a broader scope from time to time. My first reply to a friend when I got the Meridian Streaming System was "Damn I listen to the best radiochannel in the world in reference quality" - for me that is.. But you listen to your music and it will bring out the Best in your collection.

All this power and it's so easy to use, intuitively. This is why Meridian Streaming former called Sooloos is still considered The Best!
My Oh My!

Now I know who are the MASTERS of Sooloos in this forum. First we have Victor, now Crion!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 08-11-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crion View Post
In addition to creating Playlists thanks for sharing two additional options for listening to music on a SooLoos that I would seldom use.

I am not sure what you mean about 20K-100k music systems but if that is individual tracks or CD's, who has space to store those discs after you rip them.?

Jim
Old 08-11-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
In addition to creating Playlists thanks for sharing two additional options for listening to music on a SooLoos that I would seldom use.

I am not sure what you mean about 20K-100k music systems but if that is individual tracks or CD's, who has space to store those discs after you rip them.?

Jim
Jim, sometimes one dont need to own the CDs.

1. Sell the CD's right after you rip them.
2. Borrow the CD's from friends and rip them.
3. Buy Hi Rez downloads.
4. Other ways ......

In the end, just the music will do!

I have 6020 CD's stored in my 3TB x 2 Twinstore. For sure, I dont have the space to store all these CD's. But it did turn me into an "avid collector" of rip music sorts!

The wonderful question is would I ever have the time to complete ONE turn listening to EVERY TRACK of the CD's I have in my Sooloos. Still, its fun!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar

Last edited by JSCC; 08-11-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post

Jim
Hi Jim, Swim and focus opens up your music collection like you never have experienced before. An afternoon with Swim and perhaps a focus you will know that you don't really have to work that hard to listen. Just relax and swim, swim into the night....

Large collections? Well you know man likes to collect. I do not however like large fillers. CD's are in the attic in Case Logic cases. If they are stolen then it's no biggie. I'm working now on replicating my exported collection and backups to another location within the family without manual labor USB HDD's. Just let those electrons do the work..
Old 08-11-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One
Jerry
Sorry. You must own the discs, you cannot rip and sell. You cannot borrow friends music to rip. That is theft. I do not steal music or anything else. When i get rid of discs a couple of times a year, I also remove the music from my servers.

Jim
+1

I support the artists of the music I like by buying their music.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Rebellious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
+1

I support the artists of the music I like by buying their music.
Unscrupulous music listeners are everywhere. It's nice to see someone cares.

My goal is to get the best recording possible. Which means I end up purchasing most of my music.