AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Video

Video Projectors, video processors, & screens

Old 02-24-2011, 07:13 AM

Default LED/DLP and LCoS

I auditioned the Runco 750 LED/DLP at a local Minneapolis HT dealer last night. Great guys there. They were very helpful and they know their stuff. It was a great experience, and one that also highlighted the challenges with the technology. First, the picture was stunning. I saw it on a 106" dia 16:9 screen. It was very bright and had excellent contrast. The black levels were good, but not great compared to a CRT. When there was anything else on screen, it didn't matter becuse the inter-scene contrast was so good. Way better than the best CRT projectors. The motion processing was outstanding, which you'd expect from Runco. Very smooth. I did see some color fringing and breakup on scenes with isolated medium to bright objects on a dark background. Greyscale and chroma tracking were spot on. This technology has incredible promise. I'd expect the technology/cost maturity curve will catch up very soon.

I also saw a JVC RS 25, and overall it had a better picture than the Runco, at least to my eye. It too was stunning. The black levels were better than the Runco. While not yet at CRT levels, the black levels were low enough you could easily get deep into the movie without noticing them. I think the Runco motion processing was better. Most importantly, the JVC didn't suffer from any of the single chip DLP issues the Runco has. The JVC was plenty bright, but I think the Runco is brighter and has the JVC beat on overall contrast.

Overall I could live with either, but the new crop of JVC's are so attractively priced it would be hard to justify the cost of the Runco. I'm pretty sure there is an LED/DLP projector in my future, just not at this juncture.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 02-24-2011, 09:05 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Interesting report. I would suggest that to evaluate LED/DLP as a technology you might want to see a bit more than the entry level LED.

As for the JVCs, no doubt the best values in the industry. But as a technology partner and having the very latest from JVC in house for development, they are really not close to the best LED/DLP implementation.

YMMV
Old 02-27-2011, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Interesting report. I would suggest that to evaluate LED/DLP as a technology you might want to see a bit more than the entry level LED
Absolutely! I've missed a couple of years of CES, CEDIA, and InfoCon, so I'm behind.

I guess it's all relative wrt entry level. At $15k for starters, I'll have to wait for trickle down to kick in a bit before I jump in. I would love to see some better examples of what the technology can do, because even with the Runco I can tell there is great promise here.
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 02-27-2011, 09:40 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

A CRT convert is among us!

MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 02-27-2011, 09:49 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Absolutely! I've missed a couple of years of CES, CEDIA, and InfoCon, so I'm behind.

I guess it's all relative wrt entry level. At $15k for starters, I'll have to wait for trickle down to kick in a bit before I jump in. I would love to see some better examples of what the technology can do, because even with the Runco I can tell there is great promise here.
I was referring more to the Runco as the entry performance level, though it is also the entry price level for LED. Imo, the liquid cooled engine is the more capable platform from which to build an LED projector. But alas it costs more too.

Certainly price will come down. More importantly for us would be increased light output. Our preferred light sources are xenon and LED. There's a light output/price gap between our xenon and LED platforms that we would love to close.

Curious too as to what single chip artifacts you saw in the LED. First time I've heard that about the Runco.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:50 AM

Ivan,
The G70, if it stays on the ceiling, will become a backup. The new crop of LCoS projectors do many things better. It is really just the black levels, think space shots with only stars in the background, that are still much better with CRT. Move a sunlit spaceship into that star field and the LCoS wins.

Meta,
Yep, I understood your post. I'm hoping in another 4-5 years the LED/DLP price performance curve will put a killer PJ within my reach.

What I saw with the Runco was some color fringing on the edges of objects with medium APL. The scene in Gladiator with the candle flame showed some color fringing around the flame. It wasn't prominent, but it was there.
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears

Lake House:

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 03-10-2011, 12:26 AM

Default Another one bites the dust

The G70 came off the ceiling on Monday night. A JVC RS 50 took it's place. The RS 50 does many things very well. Whether it is more film like is still TBD as I need to run it for awhile before I calibrate it.

Ivan, you may be the last CRT man standing in this particular forum!
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears

Lake House:

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 03-10-2011, 12:38 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post

Ivan, you may be the last CRT man standing in this particular forum!
My guess is that when Ivan goes, he'll go big or go home. We'll be waiting - and it won't be an LED or an LCos.