AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 05-05-2018, 07:41 AM

Got an email from Dennis yesterday. Our ProAc DT8s will be in Monday. I guess they thought Asheville and Cary were near by because they shipped both pair on a pallet to the Toy Factory. This give me a good excuse to go visit DH again. Now to find the time. For those that live outside NC, Asheville and Cary are about 4 hours away by car.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
A few weeks ago I was doing my regular rounds dreaming about my next speaker purchase. As mentioned before I do this a lot. I was looking for some full range floor standers to pair up with my LP27a>PSE in my new living room (under construction). I was looking at the ProAc site and saw their newest model, the DT8, in their Reference line. I have been intrigued by their downward ported cabinets and this one was in my price range at around $3K. I think they are rated at 91db but I do not put much stock in those measurements. IMO their is more to sensitivity than the less that scientific measurements posted . I figured I would send a quick question to Dennis. "Would my PSE drive these DT8s?". Well, about an hour later, as I recall, as I was driving down the road the phone rings. It's Dennis and he is excited. He saw my email and took a look at the ProAc website. He then spoke with his friend and previous Cary Audio distributer John Rutan from Audio Connection in New Jersey, a long time ProAc dealer. John had expressed high praises for the DT8. Dennis in his excitement reiterated his love for ProAc. The 1SC being his favorite of all time as mention in this thread. Another, I do not recall the model, which he used for years at the shows to showcase his Cary amps. He said my PSE would drive them with ease and he was going to order a pair for him self. Fast forward a couple weeks; we have two pair on order from England. His in rosewood and mine in cherry. I'll keep you posted with our impressions.
Yes, flat impedance is important when using low power with less sensitive speakers. I think you will be smiling when they are hooked up to your PSE.

I'm driving those nasty ear bleeding Klipsch Heresy III's with my triode inspire. 99db on paper but I'm sure the impedance is not flat. I think Stereo Mojo reviewed them with a Mac 240. They do require oil caps and appropriate wire etc. to shine.

Personally, I have been tempted by the Omega CAM's. Flat impedance with them too but I'm fine with what I have.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:12 PM

...just for grins I pulled out an old pair of my older ESS PS-810 AMT bookshelf speakers (95db 1w/1m), updated the crossovers with newer ones, better caps, and tried them with the little Inspire KT150 10w amp as a re-test. Also, reconnected my Cary SLP-98 preamp as a test since I don't own one of Dennis' matching preamps yet . Woohoo. Sounds pretty good jumping from 91 to 95db speakers. A reminder to self proper matching is important
Old 05-07-2018, 07:33 PM

I got these from Dennis today.

IMG_0956.jpg
IMG_0955.jpg

And this (typed on his phone so excuse the spelling and punctuation errors),

Scott I will never figure out the ProAc speakers ...... I am now driving them with a 45, 2 watt amplifier ..... The presentation is simply extraordinary life like
I drive them with a new, just off my bench inspire 10 W hot rod with enough SPL to drive you out of the shop listening room
I believe it has to do with the third order crossover network and low power I got a telya you’re in for a real treat
I will take more pictures in my home listening room I should have them set up in my home over the next few hours

So we have a real world speakers being driven was single ended class A low power tube amps ..... The Prozac‘s DT8 are simply extraordinary I can hardly wait for a few weeks and they really get broken in

More stuff in a few hours Scott

I just built another new Inspire hot rod ..... so this will be a good run in

Dennis

I so much want to be in Cary this afternoon/evening.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:43 PM

Enjoy them!
Old 05-09-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
I got these from Dennis today.

Attachment 55254
Attachment 55255

And this (typed on his phone so excuse the spelling and punctuation errors),

Scott I will never figure out the ProAc speakers ...... I am now driving them with a 45, 2 watt amplifier ..... The presentation is simply extraordinary life like
I drive them with a new, just off my bench inspire 10 W hot rod with enough SPL to drive you out of the shop listening room
I believe it has to do with the third order crossover network and low power I got a telya you’re in for a real treat
I will take more pictures in my home listening room I should have them set up in my home over the next few hours

So we have a real world speakers being driven was single ended class A low power tube amps ..... The Prozac‘s DT8 are simply extraordinary I can hardly wait for a few weeks and they really get broken in

More stuff in a few hours Scott

I just built another new Inspire hot rod ..... so this will be a good run in

Dennis

I so much want to be in Cary this afternoon/evening.
When are you coming to town?
Old 05-10-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
When are you coming to town?

Not sure yet but I'll let you know.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:01 PM

I am using a custom variant of a Von Schweikert VR-7 tower loudspeaker with my variant Inspire KT88 HO amplifier.

My customized VR-7 is internally the same as the original (not the later VR-7 HSE) production VR-7, all the same drivers, crossovers, wiring but in a slightly different cabinet. The modifications were performed by Albert Von Schweikert, the designer of the VR-7. My speakers started life as a VR-4 but the only thing that remains of the original speaker are the cabinets and even those were modified. Even the fabric which covers the cabinets was upgraded.

A description of the speakers, complete with specifications, is available at this link: http://stereotimes.com/news121599.shtml These specs show a sensitivity of 92dB. It lists their weight at 120 pounds each, mine weigh 155 pounds each as mine has a heavy layer of a putty-type dampening material within the cabinet walls. Original list price was $15K, but I didn't pay anywhere near this.

My Inspire KT88 HO is the 17 wpc model, I don't think DH made many of these. The standard model produced 12 wpc with KT88s. And while the front panel of the amp has "SET Fire Bottle" painted on it, I believe it is a SEP, not SET, as I believe one can get 17 wpc out of a KT88 only when it is in single ended pentode mode. I have run the amp with a variety of output tubes, including 6L6, EL34, 6CA7, 6V6, 6P3S-e, KT66, KT77, KT88, and KT120.

I find the VR-7s to be a wonderful match with the Inspire. At least in a small'ish room and playing at less than concert volume levels. They throw up a fantastic soundstage, with instrument separation and clarity along with voice reproduction that is literally hair raising. Listening to Norah Jones, Dianna Krall, and yeah even Bob Dylan & Johnny Cash can be astounding in how lifelike it sounds.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:40 PM

I'm using the Seas A26 speaker kit from Madisound with my Inspire KT-150 Hotrod that I picked up a couple months ago.

I had built the speakers shortly before deciding to go the tube amp route. I have a little regret that I didn't wait and buy a more efficient speaker, but they do sound great in my fairly small room and I'm not wanting for more volume. I selected the Mundorf Evo Supreme Gold/Silver/Oil cap option and I'm amazed by the performance of the tweeter. I can't get over how great everything sounds. Instruments and vocals alike have a sweetness and realism to them. Any changes to gear or tube rolling is immediately evident. I'm curious if more efficient speakers would increase dynamics or bass slam, the bass is quite nice with the right tube combination though. I'm glad this SE amp has the grunt to make lower efficiency speakers sing!
Old 06-29-2018, 11:08 PM

The Seas A26 is spec'ed at 88db, that's not bad. I believe the average bookshelf speaker sold today is 88db. A little on the low side for a 10 wpc amp in a larger room or for concert levels or loud orchestra works. But it would be okay in smaller rooms or for someone listening at moderate levels.

Consider that the old Dynaco A25 was measured at 82db, and several of the vintage AR speakers were in the same range at 82-83db. As well as the classic BBC 3/5a type speakers. Many people used 15-20 wpc tube amps to drive them. 20 watts into an 82db speaker is equivalent to 5 watts into an 88db speaker.

I have a 30wpc tube amp driving 84.5db speakers in my bedroom. That's a bit more headroom than what you have but to the best of my knowledge I've never clipped that amp.