AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Accuphase

Accuphase Enrich Life through Technology

Old 07-02-2016, 02:04 AM

Default A-70 to A-200 monoblocks?

Would there be any benefit for choosing to upgrade to the A-200 from the A-70? The A-70 is doing perfectly fine and I am not even close reaching maximum power. Thoughts?

Many of you know I have the Franco Serblin Ktemas for speakers and the 3850 for my preamp.

Thanks.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:00 AM

I say go for it!
Old 07-02-2016, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris4crna View Post
Would there be any benefit for choosing to upgrade to the A-200 from the A-70? The A-70 is doing perfectly fine and I am not even close reaching maximum power. Thoughts?

Many of you know I have the Franco Serblin Ktemas for speakers and the 3850 for my preamp.

Thanks.
In order to keep the cost of the speaker cables under control, I d' suggest to run the system with 2 power amps (either 2x A-200 or 2x A-70).
With 2x A-70 you have the choice of biamping or bridging.

On a recent listening at the shop, my impression of the A-70 was, that it did not have the same sovereignty and relaxedness in the lower frequencies as the A-200.
The A-70 sounded somewhat lighter. But the listening also showed, that the (speaker) cables played their role
(e.g. on the A-70, lower frequencies became fuller, more natural and more 'convincing' with the AQ WEL Signature than with the AQ K2).
(System used: DP-720 - AQ WEL Signture XLR - C-3850 - AQ WEL Signture XLR - A-70 - AQ WEL Signature LS - B&W 802 D3)

At the end, you will have to do your own listening tests, and decide whether the differences you hear are worth the money.

Martin

AC-5 - C-37 - T-1100 - DP-900/DC-901 - DG-58 - C-3850 - A-200 - B&W 800 D2 (may be B&W 800 D3 in the future)
Cables: AQ Diamond RJ/E HS-Link, AQ WEL Signature XLR, AQ WEL Signature LS
Old 07-02-2016, 03:48 AM

Thanks Martin. Appreciate your in depth opinion. I am going to email Accuphase and see if they have any trade in program. I have listened to the A-200s and really did not notice a difference other than needing less volume to reach the full frequency range. Of course this would benefit me well living in an apartment.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:08 AM

I have the A-200s, but have not heard the 70s. All I can say is that the 200s are fabulous and one of my favorite things about them is their lower volume mastery. If you live in an apartment though, my least favorite thing is the heat ( really, their only drawback). It's basically like having on a baseboard heater all the time. The A-70s may have the same characteristic.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:28 AM

That is a very good point about the heat. A-70 gives off heat, but it is manageable. Having two heaters in a small room, well may be a bit much. I think I may wait until I am about to leave and try to sell the A-70 back in the states and purchase the A-200s prior to leaving. I cannot imagine Accuphase will deny me from purchasing 110v amps when I leave since I have been here for three years. We will see.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:38 PM

Accuphase does not have a trade up program according to my POC at Accuphase. It's up to the dealers to entertain a trade up program.