AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
You can stream using WiFi. But you want to make sure that you have a good WiFi signal in your stereo room.

One suggestion (there are others) is to use Roon as a media server. You can install Roon in your PC. But keep in mind that your computer needs to be on and Roon software open whenever you want to stream your music. Roon offers a free trial period.

For streamer service, I use Tidal. It provides CD quality files and it works very well with Roon. Tidal also has a free trial period.

As far as costs you are looking at:
Roon Subscription: $500 (lifetime) or $119 per year
Tidal $20 per month
Roon-Endpoint/Streamer: from $100 to several thousands. Incidentally, if you have an AppleTV you can use that as a Roon EndPoint/streamer.

Then you can connect your Roon Endpoint/Streamer to your DAC as you described.

You should be able to try it for free and see if it works for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Oppo BDP-203 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Player. $549. WiFi and Roon ready. All you need is a Roon and Tidal subscription and you are up and running. If you have a TV nearby your rack, you have a 4K player to boot. If not, you can always repurpose this fantastic 4k player for your tv needs and get into more elaborate streaming for 2 ch. The Oppo 203 has digital OUT but not IN. If you want to spend more money on the "audiophile" grade Oppo, the 205 model will offer more features. The Oppo 205 model is Stereophile Class A rated player for SACD/CD by the way.
Forgive my ignorance but if I get/have Tidal what would I need Roon for? Would it be considered a "extra", is it adding anything other that metadata and helping you choose music?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:50 PM

If I could please join in with my ignorance...if you want to just stream, why not use Tidal alone? I myself am eager to stop buying physical media.
McIntosh C48 McIntosh MC1201's McIntosh MC275 MonoBlocked X4 McIntosh MC250 X2 McIntosh MC7104 Classic Bob Crites Cornscala DBX Venu360 Technics SL-1200MK2PK Klipsch KP-600s Concert system Schiit Yggdrasil Klipsch Cinema KPT-684's modified Custom PC music player
Old 03-14-2018, 03:51 PM

Wow...you and I posted the same question at the same time.
McIntosh C48 McIntosh MC1201's McIntosh MC275 MonoBlocked X4 McIntosh MC250 X2 McIntosh MC7104 Classic Bob Crites Cornscala DBX Venu360 Technics SL-1200MK2PK Klipsch KP-600s Concert system Schiit Yggdrasil Klipsch Cinema KPT-684's modified Custom PC music player
Old 03-14-2018, 04:08 PM

You don't need it. All you need is the streamer of your choice, an appropriate control device and internet service. In your situation you will also need a wireless extender depending on the streamer you choose. I have used one of these for several years.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Exten...range+extender
Old 03-14-2018, 04:25 PM
Greetings from NC

Don: The Aurender N100C has Digital Coax out as well as USB out. I use the Conductor app and stream Tidal MQA at 96kHz now that Aurender has updated the software for all of their units. There are threads on AA regarding this subject. Sound quality is fantastic. The Aurender will allow for a lot of flexibility on your part since you can stream Tidal, listen to internet radio stations, use airplay from your iPhone or other device, store files to the internal hard drive, connect an external hard drive, and connect to your NAS. I have an Apple AirPort Extreme in my listening room with an ethernet cable to the Aurender N100C. The wifi signal is coming from my office. Have not had any problems.
Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack

Last edited by jameslrock; 03-14-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
You don't need it. All you need is the streamer of your choice, an appropriate control device and internet service. In your situation you will also need a wireless extender depending on the streamer you choose. I have used one of these for several years.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Exten...range+extender
As far as needing a wireless extender, I found that to not be the case with the better streamers that I've tried. My router is located in a main floor office and my audio system is located in our finished basement. I experienced a few Wi-Fi dropouts while using the lower cost streamers, but never had any issues with the McIntosh MB50. It and the Cambridge Azur 851N maintained excellent Wi-Fi connections in my situation. A decent router is important.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslrock View Post
Don: The Aurender N100C has Digital Coax out as well as USB out. I use the Conducter app and stream Tidal MQA at 96kHz now that Aurender has updated the software for all of their units. There are threads on AA regarding this subject. Sound quality is fantastic. The Aurender will allow for a lot of flexibility on your part since you can stream Tidal, listen to internet radio stations, use airplay from your iPhone or other device, store files to the internal hard drive, connect an external hard drive, and connect to your NAS. I have an Apple AirPort Extreme in my listening room with an ethernet cable to the Aurender N100C. The wifi signal is coming from my office. Have not had any problems.
So the Apple Airport Extreme is needed because the N100C has no WiFi capability, is that correct?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:47 PM

But if he chooses one like the Aurender or the Lumin that require wired internet then he will.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvis View Post
As far as needing a wireless extender, I found that to not be the case with the better streamers that I've tried. My router is located in a main floor office and my audio system is located in our finished basement. I experienced a few Wi-Fi dropouts while using the lower cost streamers, but never had any issues with the McIntosh MB50. It and the Cambridge Azur 851N maintained excellent Wi-Fi connections in my situation. A decent router is important.
Using the SPEEDTEST app on my I-phone I get the same performance from any room in my house. Once in a while I loose the WiFi on my Vizio TV but I think that's more the TV than the router. I never have issues with my laptop. My download speed is about 6.7 Mbps which is a bit better than my internet provider says I should get.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBattles View Post
The D-05's digital chipset is based on Burr-Brown's PCM1792A, it will "extend" 16-bit/44.1kHz "Red Book" data to a depth of 24 bits. It;s actually, as far as I can find, the same chipset used in the current D-06u and D-08u. I find it very good, to my ears, especially with SACD playback. As a DAC I'm sure it would be bested by todays offerings. Anyway, I'm not trying to argue, I'm happy with the D-05 and have no plans to replace it. My focus here is on adding streaming capability, to help clarify where my head is (especially after more ready today) I'm thinking the Auralic Altair might be a good choice?
The Luxman is an outstanding SACD/CD player. It is very musical and smooth. I love my D-06u and I have compared it to the Oppo of course out of curiosity. I would never suggest you give up the Luxman for Oppo. Simply suggesting that the Oppo is a very convenient way to stream with Roon.

To me Roon is a very powerful tool. I love the features and convenience of browsing and organizing music as well as the often interesting information on albums and artists that is available. I use Roon with no less than 3 or 4 DACs between my main system and the headphone gear. Often at the same time for either breaking headphones in, burning in a new amp, cables, etc. With Roon you can do that. The Digital Signal Processing is a feature I often use with headphones as well. Roon has become my main hub for all music distribution to all my systems. Can't imaging being without it but not everyone needs it of course.