AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 03-21-2018, 12:05 PM

Welcome jbags!

I too have enjoyed my MC452 for a few years, great sounding amp, probably will become a "classic" McIntosh amp.

I hope you enjoy AA as much as I do. Great insight from the members who post, and don't post all that angry stuff you read on some of the other audio sites.
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling
Old 03-21-2018, 01:12 PM

I owned the MC452 for about a year. It's a wonderful amp. I recently upgraded to the 601's when I changed speakers...But the 452 is powerful and clean. Good dynamics.

The 601's are a bit cleaner and produce a little more effortless soundstage. But they also share similar audio characteristics.

It won't be a night and day sonic revelation but its audible. Your decision should be based on what speakers you have...what you might have in the future and your current needs.

Good luck man!
Old 03-24-2018, 07:12 PM

Default MC452 Club

... so here‘s me living happily with McIntosh C52/MC452 and B&W 802 D(2) for the past few years... I will be moving to a new place with a much larger listening room (about 50 Squaremeters). Not sure if the 802s will work in the big(ger) room and I really want to stick to McIntosh... so I was thinking to (maybe) upgrade to the 800ds (D2s though - still can‘t warm up for the D3s). Any experience on running the 800D2s with the 452... will it do the job or is it necessary to go with the 601 Monos... ? Also - as I really really like the 452... any suggestions on alternative pairing to give a listen/try for big rooms and large scale listening sessions... maybe the extra money be better invested into speakers only and stick with the fabulous 452...

... be happy to hear your thoughts (and yes - room will have full acoustical treatment [emoji6][emoji1308])...
Old 03-29-2018, 11:56 AM

Try what you have and then decide if it still has what you need. That's the easy way, isn't it? I think you'll be fine unless you're itching for an upgrade. I think the 452 can drive darn near anything in the category of speakers you're considering but that's a function of many variables coupled with what your priorities are.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:49 PM

Thanx - that‘s actually also the consensus I‘ve come to. Really like the sound I‘m getting from the system... so why make unnecessary change... cheers
Old 03-29-2018, 06:17 PM

Anyone have their MC452 paired with sonus faber guarneri memento's?

I am torn between the MC452 and a pair of MC601's. Planning for a major upgrade in the next 6-12 months. Unfortunately I don't really have a dealer close so I can demo anything in house. I have listened to the MC601s a few times at various stores (one time they were driving sonus faber olympica 2s and another time I believe they were hooked to amati futuras).

When I first bought the speakers the guy I bought them from had them hooked to the an MAC6700 receiver and they sounded great.

I am also trying to decide which preamp I want to go with in the end, but that is a discussion for another thread.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno2009 View Post
... so here‘s me living happily with McIntosh C52/MC452 and B&W 802 D(2) for the past few years... I will be moving to a new place with a much larger listening room (about 50 Squaremeters). Not sure if the 802s will work in the big(ger) room and I really want to stick to McIntosh... so I was thinking to (maybe) upgrade to the 800ds (D2s though - still can‘t warm up for the D3s). Any experience on running the 800D2s with the 452... will it do the job or is it necessary to go with the 601 Monos... ? Also - as I really really like the 452... any suggestions on alternative pairing to give a listen/try for big rooms and large scale listening sessions... maybe the extra money be better invested into speakers only and stick with the fabulous 452...
McIntosh C52 and MC452 are really good combination. You will get a bigger upgrade with loudspeakers than with the new power amplifier. I have heard Sonus faber Serafino Tradition with McIntosh C52 and MC452. It is a really good combination. If you have bigger room, then you should check Sonus Faber Amati Tradition. Amati should be a better choice for a larger room. If you have a bigger budget, then Marten Mingus Quintet is a really good option to check.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno2009 View Post

... be happy to hear your thoughts (and yes - room will have full acoustical treatment [emoji6][emoji1308])...
My 452 is driving a pair of B&W 801's and have no problem at all doing that. 800 D2's should be similar in requirement for power.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:11 AM

Love the 801s... petty they don‘t build them anymore...
Old 04-01-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin17 View Post
Anyone have their MC452 paired with sonus faber guarneri memento's?

I am torn between the MC452 and a pair of MC601's. Planning for a major upgrade in the next 6-12 months. Unfortunately I don't really have a dealer close so I can demo anything in house. I have listened to the MC601s a few times at various stores (one time they were driving sonus faber olympica 2s and another time I believe they were hooked to amati futuras).

When I first bought the speakers the guy I bought them from had them hooked to the an MAC6700 receiver and they sounded great.

I am also trying to decide which preamp I want to go with in the end, but that is a discussion for another thread.
I have a pair GM with a MC207 (200 Watts/channel) and this is plenty of power however I have them crossed over at 70 hz and below going to 2 JL audio F112 subs. The MC452 will be more than enough.