AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
If you re asking whether I would be happy without hi-rez (24/96-24/192 or DSD). Hell yes.

16/44.1 with the right DAC is outstanding.
No, that's not what I'm asking. I'm asking if you are happy enough with MQA that it's an end game solution for you? Because that scenario is part of MQA's very public business objective.

Some of us just want to pass on MQA because we don't like what might happen if MQA takes a strangle hold on the market. Personally I don't care what it sounds like, I'm happy with my rather affordable Yggdrasil. I want to see what amazing filters and DAC designs can come in the future outside of the 15 or so Bob Stuart licensed MQA filters.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:58 PM

Amazing how many people have formed a negative opinion of MQA on Tidal who have never heard it ? I find that I am constantly looking for MQA albums to listen to as I think it sounds better than a lot of standard rebook albums via the Aurender to my DAC even with only the first unfold. I understand the argument of feeling that it is only for licensing fees that it was created which I am sure is partially true however its not like anyone here feeling that way is going to change anything. Its here, its not going anywhere, get used to it, enjoy be happy it happens to sound pretty good.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
And it doesn't concern you that one company could end up having that kind of monopoly over the music industry and day manufacturers?
The issue isn't concern of monopoly, the record music labels already own the music so they have the right to do what they want. Before everyone downloaded cd's and shared music on a computer people had to buy a cd or a an LP or record it onto tape or minidisc (which never caught on but I still one) . I can't blame the record labels for trying to control stealing of the music they own ie people copying downloads for free which hurts the artist income as well. I know that when I go to the record store $30 and above for one vinyl reissue or similar price on HD tracks is a expensive way to build a library and many like the idea of hi quality digital streaming for $20/ month.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:38 PM

Will be interesting to see whether and to what extent, if at all, tomorrow's solar storm affects the streaming experience. Maybe a Chicken Little moment?

What I found notable about Jon Iverson's latest MQA commentary is the frequency of "lossy"- and "compression"-related references and the prospect that the MQA-encoded "masters" used for all of a given label's releases would incorporate those "enhancements" (my term, not his). He uses "crippleware" in a different context (DRM), but it strikes me that it applies to MQA's lossy/compression aspect as well.

As for "de-blurring"? Hell, I achieved that by upgrading my USB-stream regenerator. (Sorry, folks, but try as I might, I couldn't resist the snark.)

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 AKM version (to be replaced by inbound Bryston BDA-3), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Here are just a few quotes from posts. I tried not to duplicate comments from the same poster. I didn't need to spend much time finding these.

I have read many favorable comments regarding the sound of MQA from AA members whose opinions I respect. Although I have not heard it myself, based on those opinions I have no doubt that MQA Masters on Tidal sound better than the regular 16/44 versions. I am less sure about how they would compare to the original 24/96, 24/192, or DSD versions of the same. I think it’s great that those using Tidal can now have better sound, and I make no representations that I have any real knowledge whatsoever about Tidal’s sound quality.

My concern stems solely from the potential long-term impact in the music and electronics industry, and MQA’s goal of inserting itself into the studio so that all music is MQA-encoded, everyone pays an additional licensing fee, and you have to have that little green light on your hardware to ensure you that you’re getting an original MQA-certified master. I worry about long-term monopoly and lack of choice for digital music.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 03-14-2018, 04:09 PM

I must admit, when Tidal first started streaming MQA, I bought one of those inexpensive "Explorer2" DACs to see what all the fuss was, and many of the selections I auditioned "knocked my socks off".

When it seemed that MQA was gaining more acceptance in the marketplace, I sent the "Explorer2" to a friend and bought a Mytek Brooklyn DAC (for MQA), in addition to the excellent PS Audio DirectStream DAC I've owned since it first came on the market.

As more and more titles have become available on Tidal, I'd say that most, but not all of the MQA masters sound "better" than the CD & SACD quality versions I own (when I have both to compare), but I would not say that "all" MQA masters sound "better" than the non-MQA versions. When I play most SACD's with my PS Audio hardware, I'd say those versions almost always sound better than the MQA versions, but that might not be an "apples to apples" comparison, as the MQA streams from the USB port from my Windows10 Pro machine into the Brooklyn DAC, while the SACD's DSD output from my PS Audio DirectStream transport make their way to the DirectStream DAC with an I2S interface (where the timing is separated from the "bits", something that's not being done with the USB pathway).

Though I really enjoy having "physical" CDs and SACDs to play, I know that the future is probably one where we will increasingly "rent" our music, instead of owning it. Enough of the MQA masters sound better than the older versions that I'm "rooting" for MQA to succeed in the marketplace.
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling
Old 03-14-2018, 06:43 PM

In terms of rights, I can't comment as I have not studied the issues in detail.

For sound quality, I'll say this: My DAC does not do MQA hardware-wise, so I'm only getting the software unfolding via Tidal. Despite the lack of hardware unfolding, MQA sounds very nice to me, certainly better than standard Redbook from my music server or streamed from Tidal. In fact, my ears tell me it comes close to high rez FLAC files on my music server. For streaming, MQA appears to be a good technical answer for bringing high quality sound into the home.
Digital Software: Roon, Tidal Streaming
Digital Music Server: Melco N1A/2
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Preamplifier: Rogue Audio RP-9 (factory upgraded from RP-7)
Amplifier: Vandersteen M5-HPA
Speakers: Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT w/IsoAcoustics Gaia 1 feet
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Oak spades ---> bi-wire spades
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Power Conditioning: 2 AQ Niagara 1000, 3 Oyaide R1 outlets
Sound Treatments: 23 ASC Tube Traps and 10 Panels
Old 04-25-2018, 09:46 PM

I was so stunned upon signing up for the 12$ month military subscription for TIDAL Hi-Fi tier that I have cancelled Spotify and will also buy less LPs now. And forget about me ever buying another SACD I think. Yes even without a special hardware decoder it is game changer...IMO..And IAW MY ears.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:10 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Do You Hear What I Hear?

http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=6091
Old 04-26-2018, 08:05 AM