AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 08-30-2014, 09:33 PM

ha ha Andy

you see right through me!!

seriously, as long as you are prepared to go through the pain of breaking in the gear and your ears, all good.

you can borrow my Nordost Tyr speaker cables if you like, but they are probably not going to help in warming anything up but they are pure.
I have a cardas golden power cable that will warm thing up - US plugs thou.

I would think the digital amp would be impervious to power cords thou?

cheers
Old 08-30-2014, 09:39 PM
A happy little vegemite..

Quote:
I would think the digital amp would be impervious to power cords thou?
Yeah you would think so - but apparently not. Anyway it's a class A amp with class D current...

Thanks for the offer on the Tyr. I'll play with my stuff first. Next time you come around you can pop it in the car.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Berthold Auerbach

Last edited by AndyPandy; 08-31-2014 at 05:00 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:44 AM

These are very good speakers.....

Berthold Auerbach
Old 09-01-2014, 10:09 AM

Andy,
I just remembered a cable worth trying as it was used in earlier Sonus Faber speakers and a few use it with their Devialet.
Might be worth auditioning the Van Den Hul speaker cable The Wind mkII (mkI was used in a few SF speakers).
Not too expensive (I assume this is a big consideration) and slightly coloured that may offset some of that analytical/digital itch your getting with it combined with the Magico speaker.
At a least gives you a perspective whether this type of change can influence sound in terms of satisfaction, with that in mind do not buy blindly as cables can take awhile to find one with right synergy with system.

As I mentioned in my situation just removing the Crystal Cable Ultra and using either Yter/Diamond Standard Crystal Cable/Heimdall/Supra Sword had much lower levels of satisfaction in my own setup.
Other option could be Audioquest, would usually also suggest Wireworld but just feel it may be in same situation as Nordost and not ideal for what your picking up in terms of satisfaction/fidgety/digititis.

I am coming from the background of owning the Devialet/other neutral speakers/SF Palladio Memento/Magico S1, so got some feel for what your describing.
Although never heard the Devialet directly with Magico S1 as I had replaced it before the S1 arrived.
Could not resist the great deal I was offered by my dealer for trading in 1st gen Devialet for ex-demo Dartzeek 8550
Timing and planets aligned for that one lol.

Cheers
Orb
Old 09-02-2014, 03:54 PM

Congratulations, Andy.

I auditioned the S-1's when they were first introduced and, driven by Pinius separates, they were sensational - big-sounding, sweet and very detailed. It sounds like you are on track to have your crossover issue resolved, so I hope you enjoy the new system! Ted.

Magico Q3 plus S-Pods, Spectral DMA-500AR, DMC-30SV pre, Esoteric F-03a, Esoteric S-05, Esoteric P02X, N-01XD,
Cybershaft OP21A-D, Roon Nucleus Plus w/S-Booster LPS, Uptone Audio EtherRegen w/ LPS-1.2, MIT Oracle MA-X V2's, Oracle SHD-120 V2, Shunyata Sigma Clock 50’s, Sigma Ethernet’s, Alpha USB-V2, Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 HDMI's, MIT Oracle Z-III PC's, Z Power Bar Conditioner, Coherence Systems ADD-Powr Sorcer X4, EAU2, Furutech Flux 50 filters, GTX-D rhodium outlets, service sub panel w/ 4-30 amp dedicated circuits, Stillpoints Ultra 6, Ultra 5, Ultra SS, HRS Damping Plates, Cable Isolators, Sony XBR75ZH8.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:06 PM

Hi Orb
The brightness is resolving as burn in continues, so am happy, and the tonal balance is shifting to a more rich sound. Thanks for the cable tips - will tweak away in due course. I have a Sablon power chord arriving soon, so that will be fun.

Hi Ted
Thanks for the kind wishes - yes that is exactly how I would describe them - big sounding, sweet & very detailed. New XO coil was despatched to the tech yesterday so hope to have it fitted this Friday. Amazing service by my distributor & Magico (they must have couriered one out from the USA - Aus over the weekend).

Again no one's fault except the carriage companies - just one of those things. What is important is how quickly and professionally both Magico & my distributor moved to rectify it. I was expecting weeks.

I should say this is in stark contrast to the experience I had with a pair of BNIB Quad 2905's, which were faulty (really faulty) ex factory, and the dealer & factory had no support in Australia worth a damn. Took 4 months and numerous 3 hour round trips carting a 2905 back & forth in the back of the car (no easy task) to a well intentioned but clueless tech (who was reading the manual as he was trying to fix the things) to get it resolved. After that experience, this has been a dream.

Berthold Auerbach

Last edited by AndyPandy; 09-03-2014 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:37 AM

Had my S1's repaired today by the tech - superb service by Magico.

Bought & sold a Sablon Corona Petite - didn't suit my ears at all. Now have Crystal Cable Piccolo power cord & speaker cable and am very satisfied with the sound until I can find some better Crystal Cable second hand (C'mon Victor!).

I have the run of the place today so have moved them a little further apart for my afternoon's listening - much nicer sound stage & imaging of course.

These are really lovely speakers.

And a shot the other way for perspective...

Berthold Auerbach

Last edited by AndyPandy; 09-15-2014 at 01:45 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:52 AM

Very nice Andy ! I like the deco : mix of modern and classics of the 60's.
Congrats !
Old 09-15-2014, 03:09 AM

Thank you Jerome,

We only rent our home (Sydney is more expensive than London & New York these days), so we cannot adjust the walls too much to our taste.

That said we are very happy here, and it suits our purpose well.

We moved out of a large home full of antiques to this apartment, and my wife wanted a 60's design feel to it, so we sold our antiques and bought what we have....

My favourite place is out on the balcony in summer. Which for us is just around the corner now.

Berthold Auerbach

Last edited by AndyPandy; 09-15-2014 at 03:16 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:30 AM
Life is beautiful

Great room Andy, with lots of light.
Seems like a good place to live.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables