AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 03-26-2013, 06:45 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by harri009 View Post
Agreed. What is the extra cost associated with. It can't be that many more man hours to build than a 3.7. Material wise I understand it has extra magnet layout but probably not 40% worth. BUT I guess you can claim this to just about every high end product out there.
Jeff.......The BOM (bill of materials) for a product is only a fraction of the cost. Even adding 40% increased cost to the BOM would not justify a 40% retail increase. Far more that goes into the production of components and speakers than the average end user is aware of. On top of that, Magnapan must make a profit that supports the company and owners with a margin that allows continued research and development. Magnapan delivers an amazing performance to price ratio, in my opinion. Ultimately, a product is only worth what it can be sold for in high enough quantities to support the business of making the product.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 03-26-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post

Jeff.......The BOM (bill of materials) for a product is only a fraction of the cost. Even adding 40% increased cost to the BOM would not justify a 40% retail increase. Far more that goes into the production of components and speakers than the average end user is aware of. On top of that, Magnapan must make a profit that supports the company and owners with a margin that allows continued research and development. Magnapan delivers an amazing performance to price ratio, in my opinion. Ultimately, a product is only worth what it can be sold for in high enough quantities to support the business of making the product.
I realize and agree that they are a far better deal than most speakers in the industry. IMHO
Old 03-26-2013, 09:22 PM

I understand that it costs them more to manufacture the dual magnet drivers on the 20.7 than the single magnet drivers on the 3.7. Also, I assume that because they sell fewer of the more expensive model, R&D costs have to be amortized over fewer sales.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:30 PM

I have owned my 1.6's for a year now, happy to be back with the Maggie's as I did own a pair of mmg's in the mid 90's. I paid 1200 for my 1.6's at my favourite high end store but now finding that I want more and I keep looking at the 3.7's they have in one of there rooms and chicken out on the audition because I know that once I hear them I will be making the trade up, but that's 4 grand that I could be using on a TT and cartridge upgrade.

Wayne
Old 04-05-2013, 09:15 AM

stonecobbler.... if it were I and my choices were a turntable upgrade or moving to the 3.7 from a 1.6....uh.... you better not go listen come to think of it!! if you have a significant other - you might have some 'splainin to do!! but to me your biggest bang is going to be your speaker... why not put it there if you were so inclined...
Old 04-06-2013, 02:12 AM

I do have the "waf" wife acceptance factor per say but she understands my passion, as long as I keep her closet full of shoes I can get away with pretty much anything,lol, as long as she doesn't see those large panels as something to display her shoes on. My project carbon and dynavector 10x5 is the weakest link and tough to justify the output of cash to the big Maggie's without upgrading that first , it is inevitable ,,I'm going to buy the 3.7's.

Cheers
Wayne
Old 04-06-2013, 02:26 PM

No fair stonecobbler my wife likes shoes AND trips! i have a brother in law named stan who came home one day with a new california special mustang He asks my sister how you like my new car? So whenever i start thinking evil thoughts i say WWSD? That stands for 'what would stan do?' you can use that too! Hahaha
Old 04-06-2013, 10:09 PM

That's funny Timm
I would never just show up with the speakers and say he look what I bought,,cause she would say, guess what your taking back,lol , I still need to
Discuss over wine and beer ,get ur drunk, the I can say last night "you said"
But sometimes it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission,,haha shhhh
She might be trolling.
Cheers

Wayne
Old 04-10-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcxxx View Post
Saturday I drove to the local dealer who had a set of 20.7s set up for me. I had fully intended to make the purchase w/ a 10K deposit in the bank. They were using Classe amplifier and Ayre pre-amp w/ a server for their music and I brought some CDs and LPs but they don't demo LPs regularly and I forgot to ask. In any case after 2h listening I found myself rather perplexed. Overall the 20.7 delivered more than my 3.7s in every area (soundstage, bass, coherence, detail, air) but not so much more that I could honestly justify the purchase. I left rather deflated, but perhaps my expectations were unrealistic. I listened to music that I have known for more than 40 years on every system I've owned (Solti's Beethoven 3rd, Ansermet's Falla Tres Picos, and Lyontine Price's Blue Album of Puccini and Verdi arias, I have CDs and LPs). The strengths and flaws of these albums are second nature to me, so it was not a lack of familarity w/ the material. Their equipment was not "blank check" but neither is mine. So there you have it. Guess I'll keep listening to the 3.7s.
Felt the same way every time i have heard any of the 20.XX, very underwhelming, I have always felt it better to spend the money on subwoofers and xovers for the 3.6/3.7 than go up to a 20....

Regards
Old 04-10-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecobbler View Post
I have owned my 1.6's for a year now, happy to be back with the Maggie's as I did own a pair of mmg's in the mid 90's. I paid 1200 for my 1.6's at my favourite high end store but now finding that I want more and I keep looking at the 3.7's they have in one of there rooms and chicken out on the audition because I know that once I hear them I will be making the trade up, but that's 4 grand that I could be using on a TT and cartridge upgrade.

Wayne
Get the better speaker and when auditioning also carrying along recordings that dont sound good to you or have issues on your current system. I find this way the best to tell if a system is better , instead of being different when auditioning....

Save the good stuff that moves you for last...