AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 04-24-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4music View Post
Dear Exsg,

In my experience, the B&W 802 D3 is a class above the SF Amati Futura in performance. 802D3 has a bigger sound stage, is easier to match to an amplifier, actually has more of everything. Especially with your amps (601) the 802D3 is much better match. I have heard the SF Amati Futura with those amps and it was nothing special. The friend who had them...sold both after we heard them.

I hope this helps.

Cheers
Hi 4music,

Thanks for this. I think my heart and ears have chosen now.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsg View Post
I don't think I have that PM capability yet or at least I cannot see that function. Perhaps he can PM me?
I think you need to be a "Subscriber" to send/receive PM's. Well worth the price IMO...
Old 04-24-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Hi 80B,

Thanks for your sharing.

I currently use c2500 and 601s with the cm9v1. I share the same thoughts too. The 802s are very transparent, neutral and clean. With the C2500, it might be a good blend to make it more natural without becoming too warm.

My main concern with SF are their trademark sound that leans towards being warmer. This may not go as well with pop and fast music. Not many videos on youtube on the AF compared to the 802 and 803 d3s. Can hear the differences already via these videos.

My local dealer is closed on Mondays; was planning to go today.

Thanks all for your sharing.
Hi Exsg...Congratulations on making your decision. I am sure the 802's will be amazing. I do want to elaborate on your comment that "SF's trademark sound leans towards being warmer. This may not go as well with pop and fast music"

This perception is a complete fallacy. I can vouch that there is nothing warm about the sound of Franco Serblin's designs, nor are these speakers incompatible with fast music, including Pop music. My Strads for example, are faster and more transparent than my previous YG Kipod 2's and Vivid K1's, both which were known for being very fast speakers. I think some confuse an utterly natural balance with a so-called warm and romantic sound. I have also listened extensively to the Guarneri Memento and the Franco Serblin Accordo, and my experience was the same, very natural sounding, but not warm or slow in a coloured fashion at all and compatible with a wide range of music. If you like bass that is emphasised in an unnatural way to create the impression of a fast exciting speaker, then I would say look elsewhere.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:11 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Hi Exsg...Congratulations on making your decision. I am sure the 802's will be amazing. I do want to elaborate on your comment that "SF's trademark sound leans towards being warmer. This may not go as well with pop and fast music"

This perception is a complete fallacy. I can vouch that there is nothing warm about the sound of Franco Serblin's designs, nor are these speakers incompatible with fast music, including Pop music. My Strads for example, are faster and more transparent than my previous YG Kipod 2's and Vivid K1's, both which were known for being very fast speakers. I think some confuse an utterly natural balance with a so-called warm and romantic sound. I have also listened extensively to the Guarneri Memento and the Franco Serblin Accordo, and my experience was the same, very natural sounding, but not warm or slow in a coloured fashion at all and compatible with a wide range of music. If you like bass that is emphasised in an unnatural way to create the impression of a fast exciting speaker, then I would say look elsewhere.
Douglas.......I agree with your sentiments. I have owned and thoroughly enjoyed three different Sonus faber speakers, the Cremona Auditors, the Guarneri Memento's and now own and love the Amati Anniversario speakers. The Anniversario's driven with my McIntosh MC2301 tube power amps and the solid state C1000C/P preamp are startlingly real. I listen to all genres of music, everything from new age, to contemporary jazz, female jazz vocalists, blues, and rock. The Amati Anniversario's realistically reproduce it all in stride.

I am always amused when I hear or read people parroting to one another that Sonus faber is too warm, too lush, and only does light jazz and classical well. Total bull. As for the guy who said the Futura's and the MC601's didn't sound good, all I can say is the system either was not set up well, poor source material or no one took the time to dial the Futura's into the room. I'm glad the guy sold the system. He didn't deserve it.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-24-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Not many videos on youtube on the AF compared to the 802 and 803 d3s. Can hear the differences already via these videos.

Hi Exsg,
I am, as others are here, a Sonus fan, but I know that the B&W are fine speakers as well. I would just caution you not to draw any conclusions from YouTube videos. There is no way to know anything about the quality of the setup, the condition of any of the equipment, the quality of the microphone, the position of the mic, the room acoustics, the quality of the recording, the biases of the person posting the video, etc., let alone the quality of the playback of a compressed YouTube feed listened to on a computer or mobile device. It's a bit like watching a video of someone eating a gourmet dish and trying to conclude how it will taste to you, or drawing conclusions about a dog breed by watching someone's video of their pet.

As others have said, try to hear them first in a good setup (preferably at home) with music you know, and trust your ears.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 04-24-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Hi Exsg,
I am, as others are here, a Sonus fan, but I know that the B&W are fine speakers as well. I would just caution you not to draw any conclusions from YouTube videos. There is no way to know anything about the quality of the setup, the condition of any of the equipment, the quality of the microphone, the position of the mic, the room acoustics, the quality of the recording, the biases of the person posting the video, etc., let alone the quality of the playback of a compressed YouTube feed listened to on a computer or mobile device. It's a bit like watching a video of someone eating a gourmet dish and trying to conclude how it will taste to you, or drawing conclusions about a dog breed by watching someone's video of their pet.

As others have said, try to hear them first in a good setup (preferably at home) with music you know, and trust your ears.
Hi Tony,

Yes I know this and took the videos with a pinch of salt.

Cheers.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:41 PM

I am really grateful to all contributors in this forum as they have given me detailed and valuable insight to a lot of things. A big thanks to Masterlu for setting up this forum. I regard it as one of the best English based hifi forums in the world.

Sorry if any comments by myself or others made some of you upset. I don't think they were meant to flame.

I think one of the main reasons I decided to go with the BWs is the price. The AF is more expensive and is being replaced now. Honestly, I don't like the look of the new model and can't afford it anyway. Logically, it is safer to go with a newer model for sound improvements and future resale eventually. The existing AF is elusive to me at my local dealers as all demos have been sold and they are waiting for the new ones to arrive.

I have owned BWs for quite a while now so it is a safe choice for me.

Peace...bro.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:56 PM

Quote:
I don't think I have that PM capability yet or at least I cannot see that function. Perhaps he can PM me?
How about this - make a new thread on the Bowers section. I will point him to that.

Ask something like - 802D3 opinions?
Old 04-25-2017, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
How about this - make a new thread on the Bowers section. I will point him to that.

Ask something like - 802D3 opinions?
Or become a subscriber
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 04-25-2017, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Or become a subscriber
Yeah haha