AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 03-18-2017, 04:17 PM

Default Advice on building a dedicated listening room

Over the past four years, my listening room has been a corner in my unfinished basement.
Cold in the winter and humid in the summer and with ZERO sound insulation between floors, it wasn't long into my sessions before I got the "TURN IN DOWN" order from the Warden (errr, I mean my wife).

So Im very happy to report that we are finally finishing the basement.
Working with a general contractor, Im trying to carve out the space that will be my dedicated listening room.

It looks like I can go any length up to 18ft long and up to 16ft wide. Basement is total 1500 sq ft.
Im not sure if thats a good porportion and wanted to see what fellow AA'ers have or have done.
Ceiling height is a standard 8ft.

Also, would love any tips, tricks or to do's before construction begins in April.
(There is dedicated 20amp circuits already)
Living in Toronto, if anyone has used the services of a local pro, Id love a referral.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:11 PM

Default Advice on building a dedicated listening room

Glad to hear about "20 amp circuits" in plural. That's the most cost effective investment you can make. Consider separate circuits for amps and subwoofers. Allow a dedicated circuit for Digital and electronic components. Cheap to do now, but very expensive later. And if are ever thinking of adding a home theater or multichannel in the future, you will need more amps (and possibly circuits).

Last edited by nicoff; 03-18-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:33 PM

Mark....The Amroc room mode calculator is an excellent indicator to determine acoustic friendly room dimensions.

Just plug in your desired dimensions until the red cross is in the bolt area, see bolt-area chart.

Based on your specifications it looks like 1ike a length of 18 feet and width of 13 feet would do the trick

http://amroc.andymel.eu/?l=18&w=13&h=8&ft=true&r60=0.6
Old 03-18-2017, 09:53 PM

13 feet is awful narrow for a speaker that large though and would preclude anything larger in the future. I would stick with 15 feet wide and then deal with the nodes with treatments. Mine is 15' x 19' and that is pushing it for the Nola's.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:22 PM
Go Dawgs

Mark - one thing I would highly recommend is thinking about having your dedicated 20 amp circuits in a couple of different places that may make sense in regard to where your equipment rack is going to be. I really love having my rack off on the side wall instead of at the front in between the speakers (if your room allows it of course). Some find the equipment distracting if it's in the front of the room, I've always thought having it on a side wall is a little cleaner look, but that's just IMO. I have a long balanced cable run under the floor, which I realize may not be possible if you're in a basement unless you have a crawl space. Anyway, something to think about if possible. Also don't forget media storage if you have a lot of physical media.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 03-19-2017, 12:04 AM

Don't forget to put in ample HVAC, and if you have forced air, include returns. You'll have plenty of gear making heat. A couple of 90 degree bends in the ducting will help with sound isolation. For low frequency isolation there is not substitute for mass, so a heavy, sealed door and double drywall are nice options. Also if you have the option to put in a subfloor I would highly recommend it!
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 03-19-2017, 12:44 AM

Would the subfloor be for resonance/damping? If he put in a 2" subfloor, this could solve the cabling dilemma. Also, any consideration for seating? A false wall for keeping the look clean (running interconnects etc) might be of use? And if you currently have exposed joists, could a foam insulation help with noise transfer? Just a few thoughts from a novice.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:47 AM

Some great suggestions.
Thanks and keep them coming.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:41 AM
Listener in Training

Mark,
Masterlu had a thread on the build-out of his theater room at the Cape. You could learn a lot from that; it's been a few years, but I'm sure a bit of searching can bring it up.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 03-19-2017, 12:55 PM

Exclamation

I recently had moisture problems in my basement listening room. That led me to find out that construction in basements is highly tricky to do right, especially if there is no vapor barrier under your foundation. If done right, you can forestall most moisture and mold problems.

For example, methods vary for constructing the walls. Many will recommend putting foam against the concrete for insulation and to prevent moisture, then use of only mold-resistant gypsum board (some is treated, other has fiberglass instead of paper backing).

As to the floor, some will advise putting down a vapor barrier and then a floor. However, that is likely to cause condensation under the vapor barrier. Do you want a wet subfloor in your room? An alternative is using synthetic carpet, which can let vapor pass through into the room.

(On the subject of HVAC, you can reduce HVAC noise by using acoustic flex duct, if properly installed.)

IMO, you'd be well advised to educate yourself about basement construction before you begin. I relied upon a highly respected contractor here, and I am sorry I didn't learn more myself. My "excuse" is that I've never owned a house before with a basement, and I didn't realize what could happen. Still, I am incurring expenses for remediation that should not have been necessary.

Knowledge is power! Prepare for the worst case.

And having said that, enjoy your new room!