AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Where Pets Rule

Where Pets Rule Fur, Feathers, and Fins!

Old 07-14-2012, 12:42 PM

Question Heading to the vet in a few hours.

My wife and I are taking Smokey to the vet today, a referral from Rilands (Mike). He's been pretty "normal" over the past few days but I'm not looking forward to getting him into his carrier, something he's usually pretty resistant to. So yesterday evening I brought it into the house and just set it on the floor thinking he would be calmer after seeing it for a while. Any goods tips on getting him into the carrier without a fight?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:09 PM

I've had luck lightly wrapping my Siamese in her favorite blanket, and then having someone else bring the cat carrier in the room. Then I quickly slide her into the carrier with blanket. She then works her way out the blanket, and has something soft and familiar in the carrier for the trip. For me the trick is to keep the legs in so its harder to fight me and the cage. It's still not easy.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Music Lover

Good luck Don. Keep us posted.
Mcintosh MC205,MX150,MS300,MVP871,Pioneer BDP-51FD,Roku,Pioneer Signature Elite 141,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Cremonas
Two Channel Room
Mcintosh MC501's,C2300,MCD500, ClearAudio Emotion TT,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Elipsas,Sonos Connect
Old 07-14-2012, 05:38 PM

Default Back from the vet.

So Smokey was given the once over by DVM Lexie Endo with Oak Tree Animal Hospital (thanks to Mike aka Rilands for a fine referral ). When we were telling our tale to Dr. Endo's assistants they look on their faces made me initially think this was going to be hopeless. When speaking to Lexie she was very strait forward and believes that medication is the only way to go here and of course there are no guarantees. We were instructed to use a feline pheromone diffuser and other medication which will likely be something he'll take as long as he in our home. They also took blood and urine samples and will be running some tests making sure were not dealing with some physical problem or other ailment. Right now he in the chair where my wife normally sits taking a nap, the diffusers in this room as this seems to be the room he spends most of his time in. Yolanda says she's getting one for EVERY ROOM! Anyway, this evening I'll give him his first dose of medication and well see how things go.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.

Last edited by DonBattles; 07-14-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:51 PM

Im probably a little late to the dance But. .
Bringing the carrier into the house yesterday was a good move. Cats view the carrier pretty much the same way they perceive the vaccum cleaner. I assume you gave it a good scrub first, for obvious reasons.
Putting his favorite blanket/towel in the carrier can also go a long way to relieve the stress.
Empty and put up the food/ water bowls at least 2 hours beforehand.
Here comes the fun part.
To minimize the stress for everyone involved during the insertion process it's best to get it over quickly and gently as possible.
To this end, it's important to note that cats tend to go submissive once the scruff of their neck is grabbed. The carrier should be open and facing upward at this point.
This is when you firmly but gently grasp the scruff and lower him feet first into the carrier. Be calm. He will feed off your energy.
Don't forget to thoroughly clean the carrier once your adventure ends and you get home. It is covered with stress hormones that will linger long after the next time you try to put him in.
I hope all went well.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Beers View Post
Im probably a little late to the dance But. .
Bringing the carrier into the house yesterday was a good move. Cats view the carrier pretty much the same way they perceive the vaccum cleaner. I assume you gave it a good scrub first, for obvious reasons.
Putting his favorite blanket/towel in the carrier can also go a long way to relieve the stress.
Empty and put up the food/ water bowls at least 2 hours beforehand.
Here comes the fun part.
To minimize the stress for everyone involved during the insertion process it's best to get it over quickly and gently as possible.
To this end, it's important to note that cats tend to go submissive once the scruff of their neck is grabbed. The carrier should be open and facing upward at this point.
This is when you firmly but gently grasp the scruff and lower him feet first into the carrier. Be calm. He will feed off your energy.
Don't forget to thoroughly clean the carrier once your adventure ends and you get home. It is covered with stress hormones that will linger long after the next time you try to put him in.
I hope all went well.
Too late for today but good advise for our next outing
Old 07-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Music Lover

Glad all went okay today Don. I hope you liked Oaktree, Dr. Endo, & the staff as much as me. I'll keep my fingers crossed that nothing like the other day happens again.
Mcintosh MC205,MX150,MS300,MVP871,Pioneer BDP-51FD,Roku,Pioneer Signature Elite 141,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Cremonas
Two Channel Room
Mcintosh MC501's,C2300,MCD500, ClearAudio Emotion TT,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Elipsas,Sonos Connect
Old 07-14-2012, 10:22 PM

Mike, it was a great suggestion/referral
Old 07-14-2012, 10:49 PM
The Eagles are back.

Don
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything works out ok for you and Smokey Please keep us posted.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:50 AM

How is the moggie going?

I had a pretty full on fight between my two this week. The older cat has become a little over possessive of me and picks on the younger cat if he comes near. Its a siamese thing. For a change the younger guy fought back hard so it escalated and I had fur everywhere. It goes to show a degree of unpredictability with animals when they start becoming aggressive. I intervened and the old guy got in a huff.

Later that night he took it out on me by going where my cats know they should not go - the top of the hifi rack. The sight of a 11year old siamese cat surfing my Naim DAC off its tiptoes then off the top of my rack onto my CJ CT5 was not amusing. Its only stuff however and fortunately its built tough (no visible damage, I think the cables slowed its progress).

Cats fine of course (and the two were back to curling up together 30 minutes later)