AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tubes & Valves

Tubes & Valves Upgrades, Spares & General Comments

Old 08-31-2017, 10:00 AM
Just Pure Lucky

Default Attempt to clarify a misunderstanding on non-factory tube purchases

Preface: Attempting to clarify a misunderstanding concerning purchasing tubes from someone other than an equipment manufacturer & clear up confusion regarding voiding of a warranty should one purchase tubes elsewhere.

Beginning at post #26 on this thread https://www.audioaficionado.org/show...arranty&page=3 a link was provided by AA member JBT directing viewing of Audio Research Corporation (ARC) link regarding “why order tubes from ARC.”

The discussion then mentioned in a post or two later that
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
I think ARC will void warranty if other tubes r used.

I mentioned in post # 35:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage_tube View Post
At RMAF, I'll definitely ask the McIntosh Group rep.

Best Sir,
Bob
I couldn’t wait until October for an official position with ARC regarding the purchase of tubes from an authorized outlet besides ARC. Therefore, I sent in an official service request thru their website and specifically asked the following:

1. An ARC 75SE which has been upgraded by the factory to accept Tung-sol KT150’s needs retubing. An inquiry with my ARC dealer for a per tube price for the ARC ‘certified’ Tung-sol KT150; revealed there was not one listed on the pricelist. Therefore, can you tell me how much do you charge for 4 Tung-sol KT150’s?

2. Music Direct has them on sale right now. Since they obtain the Tung-sol KT150’s from the same distributor as yourselves, if I buy 4 from Music Direct, will it void my ARC warranty?

After 3 full days, with emails back n’ forth and opening two service requests, ARC responded finally with the following:

1. “Our KT150 tubes retail for $ 216 each
2. If you go to our website to the downloads page http://www.audioresearch.com/en-us/download click on "Tips, Tales & Advice", scroll down towards the bottom of the page till you see an article called "Why But Vacuum Tubes from Audio Research". This is full of great information.”

This past Sunday, I visited that web page they mentioned above. It contained all the information which it currently does today; but, one paragraph mentioned they return & or throw more KT150’s (and KT120’s) away than they find suitable for ARC equipment.

I find that hard to believe actually – first off, they buy (like Music Direct & other authorized Tung-sol outlets) from only one distributor in the United States. That being New Sensor. ARC does not buy direct from the Russian plant & so nothing special there and secondly, New Sensor tests all tubes prior to distribution.

New Sensor, like other large-scale tube distributors have unique mass scale testing benches which accommodates upwards of 50 tubes in one session for 48-hour burn-in, testing & recording. They have their own in-house built computerized matching system that burns them in & tests tubes for plate current & transconductance. It also runs a battery of tests during the matching process to test for gas, inter-electrode leakage, and screen grid current. It is built to the military specifications for testing and matching tubes. This testing/matching system uses heavy duty regulated power supplies and calibration can be traced to NIST to ensure the most accurate results.

When ARC says they return tubes not meeting their strict specifications is pure malarkey & is the foundation of their scare tactic. Granted, what’s true is, should ARC find one which is shorted or doesn’t fire, they do return it to New Sensor for a credit. I’ve found 2 Gold Lions in my years of selling them which were factory bad & obtained return credit. Returning a good tube just because it registers a couple hundred micromohms below their so called strict criteria but tests for a strong plate current (or vice versa) is false. If their criteria are that strict, it is placed in a file 13 (trash can) & New Sensor does not take them back for credit. Once a tube meets ARC criteria, they mark it with a sharpie on the base which indicates where to slot the tube. Believe me, that means nothing – but adds to their tactic. For instance, if an amplifier takes 4 power tubes, it’s optimum to slot all with the same test readings (plate current and micromohms). I do not accept as true in this case; two very strong tubes are slotted in A & B and two lesser slotted in C & D.

ARC sells the Tung-sol KT150 tube for $216.00 each. That is highway robbery. I’m sure they buy in 1,000 tube lots or multiple 100 lots on a regular basis and by doing so, they benefit from an extraordinary mass purchase discount. They are making a mint from anyone purchasing a tube; especially when the same tube, provided by the same distributor & sold at Music Direct sells for $85.00 each. It’s a hefty revenue stream in which they have cemented by their in-house ‘so called’ individual tube type standards & personalized sharpie markings. Personally, I despise any audio manufacturer seeking greed by ripping off a dedicated customer for like-for-like replacement tubes. The equipment is expensive enough & there is no need for a company to take severe financial advantage of a customer in order for that person to maintain enjoyment (of that equipment).

Going back to ARC web page, after my inquiry this week with them, I reviewed that specific page again. I read it a couple times because I did not read any mention of them discarding or returning tubes which did not meet their criteria. Interesting, but; nevertheless, it is now an updated version.

Having said all the above, ARC mentioned if I was to insert Tung-sol KT150’s in a non-upgrade REF 75 (i.e., not “SE”); then I would void the warranty in a heartbeat. That is the only mention of ‘voiding’ anything during my emails and service requests with them. Additionally, on their web page they are quite concerned customers may use a tube pin cleaner and with certain solvents, doing so leaves an unwanted residue & will void any warranty.

Again, I do like ARC products & not bashing ARC specifically but using them (since it came up with an ARC comment) to clarify any attempt by an audio manufacturer to void a warranty by using tubes from a third party who obtains the tubes from the same distributor as they do.

Best to all,

Bob

Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts. (on Order)
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.

Last edited by vintage_tube; 08-31-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:16 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Bob.......

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A