AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tubes & Valves

Tubes & Valves Upgrades, Spares & General Comments

Old 11-13-2011, 10:29 PM

At best its a 50/50 proposition in the long run, so I bid only up to 50% of what I know they sell for from the best retailers. I get screwed and I get lucky, after several hundred purchases I have all the good tubes I'll ever need plus extras for my friends.

ARC REF6, ARC Ref PH 2SE, ARC Ref 150SE, Esot N-05, SF Oylimpia III, Garrard 301 Reed2p, WW Silver Eclipse 8, Kimber Kable Select IC XLR

C22, MC275, MR78, PS Audio Dac, Tannoy Daltons 12" Red's Tannoy ST200 Tweeters, Kimber IC's, Mac Mini, Transparent ULTRA Speaker.

Marantz 7C, Marantz, 9, & 10B Tuner, Tannoy 15" Red's in York Corner Cabinets

ARC Ref1, ARC VT 100II, MR74, Tannoy Red 12 LSU/12/8, Spider Transcription TT, Nordost Spk Cable

Fisher 400C, MR78, Fisher SA 1000, BenchMark Dac, Auditorium 23 Speaker Cables, Tannoy Supper Red 10" LSU/III/Z Monitors

ARC SP3, MC 30's, MR67, Devore Supper 8's, Wadia i171, MicroMega Dac, Transparent Supper Spk

C20, MC75's, MR71, MS300, Tannoy 12" Golds, Auditorium 23,

C11, (2)Harmon Kardon CitationII, Shindo Montille, MC2505, McIntosh 117, Audio Research ST70, Knight KB85, Pilot Sa 232, Marantz 8B

Scott 130 Preamp, Scott 272 Int, HH Scott 250's MR71 tuner, Tube Guru F2a Mono's,
Old 11-14-2011, 12:26 AM

Ive made about 20 purchases from Ebay in my life....so good so far....
Old 11-21-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iove75 View Post
Even below minimum it can still sound great in a preamp for thousands of hours. I just wish that sellers would accurately describe them so buyers can price it into their bids.

I hope it is not too much to ask of sellers.
That's not been my experience I find those tubes just are dynamically dead. May sound pretty but they are often just tone controls.

Which brings me to my pet peeve. How many times do you see people writing that Teles are rated for 10,000 hours? But it is my impression, that these tube would work say, in a radio, for this time before crapping out. I don't think the stated lifetime has any bearing on how long the tubes will sound good! I think that's far less than the quoted lifetime. Plus there's also the issue of noise and microphonics complicating the matter, something that is very important when using tubes in a phono section.
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.

Last edited by Myles B. Astor; 11-21-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:14 AM

Every audio related product I purchase on eBay was a disappointment. The criteria is much better described on Audiogon, which I think is sponsored by eBay, but I'm not sure...........

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randerson3024 View Post
Every audio related product I purchase on eBay was a disappointment. The criteria is much better described on Audiogon, which I think is sponsored by eBay, but I'm not sure...........
I think I might have to look there. I just picked up a tube CD player with operational issues. Seller won't accept return now I am in a ebay/paypal dispute. But that's for another thread.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Go Go White Sox!!

I bought one component on Ebay, a Cary SLP-2002 preamp. It was a week-long auction listing from a seller of many other various items over several years. The initial listing was for about one-third of the going rate on Audiogon. I tabbed the listing for my watch list and prayed no one else would notice.

The week went by and no one else had bid. In fact, the seller lowered the price! I placed my bid within the last minute of the auction (as I always do; I simply refuse to get into bidding battles) and bought the preamp with the only bid. The 2002 served me very well and had no performance or cosmetic defects. I'm guessing that the seller is still trying to figure out if he/she set the price too high!

I realize my experience is atypical for a relatively high-end audio item on Ebay, but just wanted to pass along my experience to note that diamonds in the rough can be found on Ebay (and Craigslist, for that matter). With that said, I would not have bid on the item if it had been listed for the usual going rate, mainly because the feedback history of the seller suggested to me that this was just another item he/she was selling and therefore the seller was probably not familiar with preamp's condition and history. I'm thinking you are far more likely to encounter an uninformed and/or disinterested seller on Ebay or Craigslist than Audiogon, Stereolist, or Canuck Audio Mart.