AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 01-16-2014, 12:13 AM

In my post where my ear was 2" away, the amp was in full power mode. I leave my Ayre gear in full power mode all the time.
System: Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon/DPC-6v2, Defender, Anaconda /Sigma power cords and interconnects, Linn LP12, Ayre P-5xe, dCS Vivaldi full stack, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Ayre MX-R Twenty, Wilson Alexia Series 2 Speakers
Old 01-16-2014, 02:12 AM

Strange thing that I just discovered is that when my VX-5 is powered up, not in power save mode, that the my dedicated audio circuit breaker box inside a closet also makes a humming sound. I actually can hear the hum/buzz from my amp at about 3 feet away if I listen very carefully and the room very quiet. This makes me wonder if there is something wrong with my VX-5 even though it sounds great to my ears or if it's a problem with the circuit breaker box? The breaker box also gets a bit warm when the amp is on. Funny thing is that I never noticed any of this from the breaker box or the slight amount of heat from it before. However, I never looked for it. Just by chance did I notice it today when I opened the closet and heard the hum and touched the breaker box to find it a little warm-not hot though. At this point I had better check this out further with my Ayre dealer and also perhaps have an electrician check things out. How ironic to think that I got a SS amp to avoid the hassles with tubed amps.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:59 AM

I have not had a hum issue with any of my ayre gear but one thing I know is that ayre cares about their customers. Since you know Alex, I'm sure he will take care of it but beyond that Charlie has always answered any question I have had and if need be promptly repaired any issue.

I am confident you will be taken care of even if you were not so prudent about documenting the problem. You have a very good warranty on the unit.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g997 View Post
I really think Alex is wrong here
It's not normal to hear a hum a foot away from any amp
My VX-5 is silent
Have your dealer replace your amp
I agree. I have a VX-5 and it is silent also.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban View Post
I agree. I have a VX-5 and it is silent also.
Thanks to you and the others for your help in pointing out that your VX-5s are silent.

Yes, it appears that something is wrong with my VX-5. I am going to my dealer today and see what can be done. I hope that they will replace my amp as I just received it last Saturday, January 11.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elihu11 View Post
I have not had a hum issue with any of my ayre gear but one thing I know is that ayre cares about their customers. Since you know Alex, I'm sure he will take care of it but beyond that Charlie has always answered any question I have had and if need be promptly repaired any issue.

I am confident you will be taken care of even if you were not so prudent about documenting the problem. You have a very good warranty on the unit.
Thanks for the nice reply.

Yes, I agree that Ayre and the people that work for them are great. I have only one other piece of Ayre gear, the C-5xeMP. However, I have heard nothing but great reports about their company and how well they treat their customers. I have had numerous conversations with Charlie over the years via forums as well as a few e-mails.

Bob
Old 01-16-2014, 08:28 PM

Today my wife and I visited our local Ayre dealer to hear for ourselves how much hum/buzz that the store's VX-5 produced in comparison to mine. I could hear hum as soon as I approached the store's VX-5 as I am sensitized to the sound. Ironically this is the same unit that I had home for audition a little while back. At that time that I had the store's VX-5 home for audition I didn't notice any hum nor was I listening for it at that time.

This morning I turned on my VX-5 to listen for how much hum/buzz that it was producing. Very little to my surprise. Normally listening to noise on my audio gear is not a priority when I first get up in the morning. Also my dedicated circuit breaker box for my audio was not humming either as it was last night.

Bottom line is I don't believe that this is an issue and that Alex of Ayre was correct when he stated that SS amplifiers can often be heard a foot away.

Josh the manager of my Ayre dealer did assure me that if my hum/buzz does become worse to contact him immediately and things will be taken care of in the rare event that there is something wrong with my VX-5.

Once again, a big thanks to all of you who replied with suggestions and help to this thread that I started.

Bob
Old 01-17-2014, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban View Post
I have a VX-5 and it is silent also.
You mean that you cannot hear any noise from your VX-5 at all?
Old 01-17-2014, 11:31 AM

RLF

Glad to hear it all worked out
Sometimes I think transformers to to settle in and then become silent

BTW 500 hours was the magic point for me regarding the VX-5. This amp is really special!
Old 01-17-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g997 View Post
RLF

Glad to hear it all worked out
Sometimes I think transformers to to settle in and then become silent

BTW 500 hours was the magic point for me regarding the VX-5. This amp is really special!
Thanks. It was probably a little OCD on my part

What was very strange is the one incident where my dedicated audio circuit breaker box hummed only when my VX-5 was powered up as I described above. Very strange and unexplainable, but it has not occurred again. Maybe something on the grid?? Anyway that is what made me wonder if something might have been wrong with my VX-5 at that time.

I even got reassurance from the top man at Ayre that what I am hearing is normal.

Anyway, everything is sounding great now, even at only 30 hours on the VX-5 and 90 on the ARC Reference 5SE.

Bob