AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 03-27-2018, 10:07 PM
Racing Hoopties

Default A small Vinyl vs Digital Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
Craig - you’re ruining the entire thing by using the word “economizing.” Gotta get rid of that part of the analysis entirely.

Ha! I am rarely called too logical.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 03-27-2018, 10:29 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariess View Post
I don’t totally understand your response. The order of higher dynamical range is vinyl (60-80 dB), redbook (90-96db), and SACD (120 dB). That doesn’t mean you will prefer the format with higher dynamical range, but I don’t understand why you said the reverse?

As for the quality digital, a 10 years is a long time of evolution and state of the art digital has improved a lot. If you really want your digital to kick the ass of your vinyl as you wrote, you have a better chance if you update your digital front end (Paganini 2s new in 2007). Even trying a Schiit Yggdrasil DAC ($2300) might surprise you.
Adam -- my bad, I was not referring to dB measurements related to Dynamic Range of media but to the Dynamic Range Database (DRD) of recordings.

Basically it's a metering foobar2000 component, which takes sliding scale measurements.

The DRD uses a sliding scale from 1 to 20 (1 being the worst, 20 being the best) to rank the dynamic quality of each of the recordings available. This number represents the difference between the peak decibel level on a recording and the recording’s average loudness. DRD applies the following descriptors to these ranges: 1-7=bad; 8-13=transition; and 14-20=good.

Evaluation for each album on the website includes the album’s average dynamic range, the track with the weakest dynamic range, and the track with the greatest. It also provides individual dynamic range measurements for each track on the album.

It's purpose was to emphasize over processing of & the resultant loudness wars associated with digital releases.

It's not without error though but it does provide an avenue of research available to the audio enthusiast to compare various releases and their dynamic quality.

In the end, the best advice is listen with ones own ears. That's the final verdict of any juror.

Regarding the 10 year old DCS Paganini stack. Yes, time has flown by, but dCS doesn't use DAC chips which get stale over time. It's all software driven for the most part with some processing chips ensuring the 1's and 0's go where there supposed to go and be prompt about it. In fact, my entire dCS Paganini stack -- all 4 boxes were last updated with the latest software in 2015 and the clock was upgraded once again in 2016 to "super clock." After those though, dCS no longer plans any further upgrades and are no longer software supported.

It's a shame I admit, my dCS Paganini only processes 2 million algorithms per second whereas the new Vivaldi and Rossini DACs' kick it's butt with 4 million ps. It may not have a 2017 or 2018 shipping label on the boxes, but I'd venture to say the stack can still hold it's D-A head high.

Oh well. Win some lose some. There is always a first and second place ribbon given.

I'd rather take any further dCS digital upgrade dollars (roughly $20K) onto the next up in the SME product line & cartridge than I currently have. That Sir, would be the ultimate digital killer, bar none.

Best Sir,

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts. (on Order)
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.

Last edited by vintage_tube; 03-28-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:44 PM

90% of my time i play analog in my system but as i always say... you have to spend a lot of money and effort to make analog sound good.

I always recommend my friends to stay away from vinyl
Old 03-27-2018, 11:07 PM

For me vinyl has a certain midrange magic that few DACs come close to matching. My R2R ladder d1-twelve SE comes very close and was and remains a revelation to me given I've listened to digital since 1987 (it should considering its cost). Digital has come a long way, even since 2010. The dcs units I've heard are stellar as well. The Meridian Ultra DAC I auditioned spring of last year ain't shabby either. The Esoteric DAC I heard a couple years ago sounded nice and warm as well. But very good vinyl rigs still have what sounds to me a more appealing midrange for voices and most instruments.

Palpability is where vinyl also naturally seems to excel. As I type, I've got Murray Perahia/Bernard Haitink and the Concertgebouw Orchestra's performance of Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 4 spinning on the turntable. I bought this record in 1987, and the CD version around 1989. Their presence in my room on vinyl sounds natural and full, unlike the CD version I've ripped to my Melco hard drives. My record sounds plenty loud with enough dynamic range to more than satisfy. Both versions I have are from the original mastering. There is no contest between the two. The only thing my CD version is better at is the lack of clicks and pops that are endemic to vinyl.

In having walked into my recent turntable purchase with an existing personal record collection I grew up listening to, my Rega RP10 is sort of like a time machine - especially from an emotional standpoint. So this adds to the magic of what I'm experiencing nowadays. Listening to the digital versions always make me happy. But the black grooves of my personally historic record collection gives me joy.
Digital Software: Roon, Tidal Streaming
Digital Music Server: Melco N1A/2
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Preamplifier: Rogue Audio RP-9 (factory upgraded from RP-7)
Amplifier: Vandersteen M5-HPA
Speakers: Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT w/IsoAcoustics Gaia 1 feet
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Oak spades ---> bi-wire spades
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Power Conditioning: 2 AQ Niagara 1000, 3 Oyaide R1 outlets
Sound Treatments: 23 ASC Tube Traps and 10 Panels
Old 03-29-2018, 06:20 AM

Vinyl is a whole new hobby onto itself and those who enjoy it know what I am talking about. While I love the convenience of digital and with DSD , MQA streaming , hi res. PCM better DAC technology etc this part of the hobby has never been more appealing one does not replace the other. Both are very enjoyable
Old 04-01-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Good analog is a very deep hole. While all this is open to debate in relative terms, in my opinion the really good stuff starts in this neighborhood:
$4000 MC carts
$8000 TT + power supply
$4000 Arm (maybe low?)
$4000 phono preamp

Certainly this is up for debate but I think it is reasonably right and directionally correct. Besides, it’s what I’ve spent already! It is at least a good start.

Then there are the setup tools:
Alignment Jig (ex Feickardt)
Test records
Audio analyzer to set cartridge loading
USB microscope
10x jeweler’s loupe
Fozgometer
Record cleaning machine (ultrasonic is best)

Add all this up and you are in the $25k range.

All of this is a royal pain in the wazoo, and for technical specs that are truly abysmal compared to digital.

So I guess if I had stopped buying and playing great vinyl I would be a digital guy. But I always thought good LP’s sounded better, so I’ve stuck with it now for 50 years.

As my digital font end gets better, it sounds more like my analog front end! So if I didn’t already have a great analog front end I doubt I’d dive in today.

Tom

My vinyl set up rivals my digital system which cost more than twice as much.

Last edited by 1KW; 04-01-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:14 AM

My vinyl set up is now on par with my digital set up.

I feel as if I now have pretty much of an equal playing field between vinyl, steaming and SACD playback. Of course, the big variable is recording quality.

Put a MFSL or well engineered record on the TT and it’s going to be really hard to beat.

There are times when the mood strikes for any of the three media and my rig comes through regardless the choice.
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Old 04-01-2018, 12:24 PM

My vinyl and digital are roughly equal quality and price. 7k dac vs 6.8k table, arm, cart.

IMO, it’s easier to achieve great digital these days which has greatly closed the gap between these two formats.

Its all about the source recording and mastering these days.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 04-01-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreginNH1 View Post
My vinyl set up is now on par with my digital set up.

I feel as if I now have pretty much of an equal playing field between vinyl, steaming and SACD playback. Of course, the big variable is recording quality.

Put a MFSL or well engineered record on the TT and it’s going to be really hard to beat.

There are times when the mood strikes for any of the three media and my rig comes through regardless the choice.

That's where I hope I end up!
Old 04-01-2018, 07:29 PM

all comments removed.

Last edited by essjay; 04-01-2018 at 08:01 PM.