AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 06-26-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
As I understand it, the installation of Atmos in the cinemas takes into account the layout of the theatre and the position speakers inside. That's what allows Atmos to create that sound field.

From the Atmos white paper tho I could be reading it wrong.

If the home version doesn't take that into consideration, Onkyo's upwards firing speakers (which they are pitching as an alternative to voice of god/height speakers) probably won't be particularly effective.
AFAIK, there is no way for the domestic version to know the exact x,y,z location of any speaker automatically. There might be some manual method. After all, they use a single calibration mic, not a defined array like Trinnov. We'll see soon enough.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:16 AM

So how do you get the ceiling speaker sound without speakers in the ceiling?

Good news that D&M are pushing this as hopefully it will filter to the new McIntosh processor???
Trevor's Home Theatre: McIntosh MX121, McIntosh MC601, McIntosh MC207, McIntosh MLD7020, OPPO BDP95, JVC DLA950, Stewert Screen Studio Tek 130G3, B&W 802D2, B&W HTM2D2, B&W DS8, Klipsch KL 525, Velodyne DD15, WireWorld & IsoTek Cables

Old 06-29-2014, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxthx View Post
So how do you get the ceiling speaker sound without speakers in the ceiling?

Good news that D&M are pushing this as hopefully it will filter to the new McIntosh processor???
Here's what Andrew Jones is proposing for his new range of Atmos speakers for Pioneer. Onkyo has something similar.

Basically they use a driver on the front L and R and surround L and R that is pointed towards the ceiling and redirects back to the listening position.

ps D&M sold the Mac brand to FineSounds a year back IIRC so I don't know if new Macs will use the same foundation as Denon/Marantz.

If you want to go beyond consumer range, you might have to look at Datasat.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:37 AM

First listening impressions of these upward firing speakers.

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...mos-right-home
Old 06-29-2014, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
Here's what Andrew Jones is proposing for his new range of Atmos speakers for Pioneer. Onkyo has something similar. Basically they use a driver on the front L and R and surround L and R that is pointed towards the ceiling and redirects back to the listening position. ps D&M sold the Mac brand to FineSounds a year back IIRC so I don't know if new Macs will use the same foundation as Denon/Marantz. If you want to go beyond consumer range, you might have to look at Datasat.
Thanks... Wonder how that will work with my perforated ceiling?

I guess I just can't keep up with who owns McIntosh these days :-)
Trevor's Home Theatre: McIntosh MX121, McIntosh MC601, McIntosh MC207, McIntosh MLD7020, OPPO BDP95, JVC DLA950, Stewert Screen Studio Tek 130G3, B&W 802D2, B&W HTM2D2, B&W DS8, Klipsch KL 525, Velodyne DD15, WireWorld & IsoTek Cables

Old 07-07-2014, 03:12 AM

I start to look for ceiling Atmos speakers now too.
Want one with wide dispersion or even omni. And dynamic capability to match other channels.
Toga
Old 07-11-2014, 10:55 PM

I can tell that the ceiling speakers must be the very capable and competent ones.
Just cannot put simple coaxial speakers there. A sound of jet flying by or helicopter hopping will be
Very torturing. Do we have such capable ceiling speakers yet? The largest I know of is Martin Logan vanquish.
And Forget about the sound bouncing idea under promoting, not gonna work as intended.

Toga
Old 07-12-2014, 01:57 AM

Interesting perspective in the interview below

Admittedly he has some vested interests but Andrew Jones claims in Dolby's demos with both upward firing and actual height speakers, he preferred the upward firing ones. It's about the 9 minute mark in this video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c295SyGQag]Home Theater Geeks 214: Dolby Atmos Comes Home - YouTube[/ame]
Old 07-12-2014, 06:43 AM

yes at 09:50 or so.
But man, he speaks on behalf of Pioneer as a Dir of Speaker design. He has reason to like it more.
On this very same interview I watched Mr D'Agostino said he never believed in cables before until he listen to Transparent Audio cable and he was a believer since then. that was funny coming from a legendary man who design high end amplifier before.
Sometimes a pre-programmed interview has some kind of marketing behind.
Back to Atmost Height Ch., I feel there are so many issues regarding reflection idea,
frequency response, time delay, variety of customer room ceiling finishes. I also believe the intention of Atmos is to make sound pretty localized, from top rather than a diffusion. The reflection idea is a compromised set-up designed for those who really can't have ceiling speakers I think. Atmos will not sell if the only option to enjoy is to have ceiling drilled and wired, they have plan B for us. I am quite sure too that at the listening distance of most home, we will hear more from the driver than from the reflection off ceiling. hm.. but that's just my idea alone.
and thanks for the Youtube link, I will listen to all of it too. it's quite long.
Toga
Old 07-12-2014, 06:43 AM

yes at 09:50 or so.
But man, he speaks on behalf of Pioneer as a Dir of Speaker design. He has reason to like it more.
On this very same interview I watched Mr D'Agostino said he never believed in cables before until he listen to Transparent Audio cable and he was a believer since then. that was funny coming from a legendary man who design high end amplifier before.
Sometimes a pre-programmed interview has some kind of marketing behind.
Back to Atmost Height Ch., I feel there are so many issues regarding reflection idea,
frequency response, time delay, variety of customer room ceiling finishes. I also believe the intention of Atmos is to make sound pretty localized, from top rather than a diffusion. The reflection idea is a compromised set-up designed for those who really can't have ceiling speakers I think. Atmos will not sell if the only option to enjoy is to have ceiling drilled and wired, they have plan B for us. I am quite sure too that at the listening distance of most home, we will hear more from the driver than from the reflection off ceiling. hm.. but that's just my idea alone.
and thanks for the Youtube link, I will listen to all of it too. it's quite long.
Toga