AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 03-08-2017, 03:01 PM
Life is beautiful

Congrats Bob!
Looking forward to your report.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 03-08-2017, 03:32 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by rghanbari View Post
I had the chance to spend some quality time with the Utopias this weekend, and also to listen to the SR-009's and HE-1000's at a local meet. Utopias are phenomenal headphones (best off the shelf headphones I've spent time with). At the end of the day, given a choice between a pair of Utopias and a pair of Audio Zenith PMx2's (heavily modified Oppo PM-2's), I'd go with the PMx2's.

I'm a 2 channel guy that is just getting into serious headphones, but the variance in tonal signature, build quality, and responsiveness in headphones is phenomenal (wild wild west stuff). Utopias are the only headphones that come close to the PMx2's and the feeling of "being right" that I get with my B&W 802d3's.

Here is an extensive write we did after spending an exhaustive (and exhausting) week audtioning ~12 high end phones: Things So Impossible: Headphone Quest

Just read this.
Great report!
Thank you.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 05-14-2017, 09:44 AM

I'v had this combo, Focal Utopia Headphone and EAR HP4 since some weeks now. I were a bit worried that I would like to listen to my big system so much more that the headphone rigg not would be that fun to listen to. But this combo really makes me enjoy it.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:38 PM

Utopia by Tournaire...

Old 10-17-2017, 10:52 AM

Any further thoughts on the Utopia from those that own them?
Old 10-18-2017, 02:15 AM

I’ve had mine for over a year now. Still marvel at the sound and comfort every time I listen to them. I consider them one of my best purchases ever.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:51 PM

Focal Utopia/Elear White Paper. Interesting read.

https://www.moon-audio.com/media/dow...WHITEPAPER.pdf
Old 11-16-2017, 12:38 PM

PHC1, how does the Focal Utopia compare to the Audeze LCD-X, 3, and 4?
I had the LCD-X and loved the sound, but I got rid of it due to a major defect.
Also how would you compare the clear to the utopia? I heard the clear at RMAF and loved it, heard the utopia too and hated it... but some headphones I didn't like at the CANJAM initially, I really liked later on.

For instance there is way too much background noise killing the sound of an open back headphone to really appreciate it. Mc headphones sounded terrible at CANJAM, yet wonderful in the Mc dealer store.

When I heard the utopia what I didn't like is the separation was poor, soundstage was poor, and it sounded sloppy. And then I put on the clear and it was night and day better. But now I'm second guessing what I heard considering headphones that sounded bad at canjam suddenly sound great outside of canjam. It also could be the source or the amp which may have been different.

Also the clear has aluminum instead of beryllium. I have some aluminum speakers and while they sound great they tend to fatigue my hearing quickly to wear I don't enjoy music as much as I used to in that setting.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:40 PM

I also heard Focal's beryllium speakers and they were amazing. I haven't listened to them for long periods of time, but they were speakers that made me second guess my choice of Sonus Faber O3s.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
PHC1, how does the Focal Utopia compare to the Audeze LCD-X, 3, and 4?
I had the LCD-X and loved the sound, but I got rid of it due to a major defect.
Also how would you compare the clear to the utopia? I heard the clear at RMAF and loved it, heard the utopia too and hated it... but some headphones I didn't like at the CANJAM initially, I really liked later on.

The Utopia and LCD-4 were the pair that impressed me the most and I focused on going back and forth between the two pairs for close to 2 hrs. Using various genres of music which was easy to do at my local dealer's place with the music server and McIntosh MHA headphone amp, I walked away knowing the Utopia was the pair that I would want to own. If I had not heard and compared the Utopia, I would have walked away thinking I would own the LCD-4. They truly are world class headphones by any definition. I chose the Utopia for a more smoother/balanced presentation and organic, musical flow that was very natural and engaging. The LCD-4 was a bit more jumpy with certain frequencies being emphasized a bit too much but only by comparison to the Utopia. It's a personal preference type of a thing, can't go wrong with either.

I also enjoy my Sennheiser HD600/650 which are on the other end of the spectrum from the Focal Utopia/Elear but of course the Utopia is the pair I reach for most of the time.

Sorry, have not heard the Focal Clear yet so can't comment.

Sorry to hear that you could not resolve the issue and decided to return the LCD-X. I would not give up on Audeze, many own the brand and enjoy them. I plan on adding a few Audeze headphones to my collection in the future.