AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 08-01-2009, 05:35 PM

I dont claim to have quite the ear that some do on this site, but...

I have never been able to warm up to ANY of the 800 line of B&W with the Diamond tweeter. I have heard them with varying equipment, in an acoustically treated room, but that tweeter has always been very very bright to me. Again, I dont claim to speak for everyone, but as much as I wanted that massive center HTM1D and some 802Ds, I never could get over even brief auditions with the tweeter in the Ds.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Listener in Training

It could be my setup or room, but the diamonds don't seem at all bright to my ears when compared to others I've heard. Not a criticism of what you hear, but interesting to note how differently we must either hear or react to the same sounds. I can't hear up to 20hz anymore, assuming I ever could, but there's other factors, of course, that could be at work.

While it's great and very helpful to see all our opinions and read reviews, at the end of the day, the best advice to listen for yourself.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 08-01-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80B View Post
It could be my setup or room, but the diamonds don't seem at all bright to my ears when compared to others I've heard. Not a criticism of what you hear, but interesting to note how differently we must either hear or react to the same sounds. I can't hear up to 20hz anymore, assuming I ever could, but there's other factors, of course, that could be at work.

While it's great and very helpful to see all our opinions and read reviews, at the end of the day, the best advice to listen for yourself.
I do agree that no many of us can hear 20KHz and certainly, as age catches up, usually the higher frequencies capability drops. And indeed I agree the best advise is still to listen for oneself cause in the end, its one's own environment, musical preferences, room size/interfaces/acoustics that sums up the results, not to mention the other variables like gears etc, ....
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 08-02-2009, 07:38 PM

Coulnd't have said it better PHC1. I'll be heading back for an a/b comparison with Mac 1201's connected. They sold there 501's
Old 08-02-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I've spent quite a bit of time listening to the various B&W speakers over the years, including the 800D. I believe the current retail is $23k for the 800D vs $26k for Sasha so it is a very fair comparison.

While the Krell amps actually help the 800Ds in this comparison by having better control over the bottom end which can be overly ripe with many amps and 800D combo, the Krell would not be my first choice with the Sasha.

I've heard the Sasha with various amps, inlcuding Krell, Ayre MX-Rs and my own Lamm M1.2s. They do sound quite different with different amps driving them so the synergy of amp/Sasha is important.

The openness, dynamic liveliness and effortlessness, soundstage capabilities as well as imaging and focus persists with many amps/Sasha but Sasha will allow the more "musical amps" to shine through like very few speakers out there.

I've heard my own amps/preamp with the 2x more expensive Avalon Isis ($60k) speakers and the Sasha sounds much more natural, open and engaging with my amps.

The Krell/Sasha combo, imho, will "impress" but ultimately is not a very "musical" combo. The Ayre MX-R/Sasha and even more so, the Lamm M1.2/Sasha is a pairing that is very musical and engaging, sounding natural without a trace of harshness.

While the "extra sparkle" up top with the 800Ds is impressive at a first listen, ultimately the Sasha tweeter is more refined and more natural sounding of the two metal tweeters. It doesn't draw attention to itself like the 800Ds diamond tweeter and is more forgiving and smoother while giving up virtually nothing in either detail or extension.

The midrange is very impressive for both speakers and is a toss up depending on taste and what one "perceives" to be the more natural and neutral voicing.

The bass is obviously better with Sasha, not only reaching deeper (-3dB at 20Hz vs -6dB at 25Hz for the 800D) but is also more coherent, articulate and much better integrated/balanced. The Sasha is also much easier to position in most rooms to get a flatter bass response vs the 800Ds which can often sound bloated, thick and have peaks that are very audible.

While the 800D is great at imaging and throwing a spacious soundstage, the Sasha's ability to recreate a 3 dimensional acoustical space that exists on the recording is simply unmatched. The ambiance and air the Sasha creates completely allows one to peek into every corner of the space and "feel" the separation/layering of instruments front to back as well as side to side. The palpability factor of the images is also up there with the very best speakers.

Wait until the reviews of the Sasha start coming in. It is a very serious speaker that conveys the emotion of music to the last degree while treating you to a very realistic presentation and unforgettable listening sessions. I am simply in love with this speaker! Yes, $26k is not exactly chump change but in this case, it is completely worth it.
As usual Serge,
Your comparison is very articulate and easy to follow. I think when you are comparing speakers at this price point they better both sound excellent. I am surprised that the flagship B&W 800 speakers does not have as much bass response as the Wilson, Sasha How would you compare the Sasha to the SF strads. as you can buy a used pair of strads for 26 k ?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
As usual Serge,
Your comparison is very articulate and easy to follow. I think when you are comparing speakers at this price point they better both sound excellent. I am surprised that the flagship B&W 800 speakers does not have as much bass response as the Wilson, Sasha How would you compare the Sasha to the SF strads. as you can buy a used pair of strads for 26 k ?
I've heard the Strads many times at my local dealer as well. Different speakers for different taste and preference for sure. I can live with either but the amps and some of the associated gear would have to be different. I love the Lamm/Wilson pairing but with the Strads, I'd go for either the Krell or MC1.2KWs. The Strads are a darker flavored speaker and Krell and MC1.2KWs would bring the balance back. Most SF speakers tend to sound their best with amps with lots of current and grip on the speaker.

The amps that are even more full bodied and harmonically rich sound better through the more neutral speakers like Wilsons. The Lamm M1.2s and to a slightly lesser degree the Ayre MX-Rs, are awesome with the Sasha.

Now that I have lived with the Sophia 2 and Sasha for a bit, I don't see myself going back to SF speakers. I love Wilson/Lamm pairing.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:45 AM

Now that I have lived with the Sophia 2 and Sasha for a bit, I don't see myself going back to SF speakers. I love Wilson/Lamm pairing.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:28 PM

Hi Serge,

Based on your opinion and observation, do you feel that the Lamm m2.2 might be too much for the Wilson Sophia II ?
Also, do you think that the Sophia II will work in a room that is 19 feet long x 15 feet wide x 9 feet ceiling ?
I hope someday to own a Sophia II.

Cheers-Noli
Old 02-08-2010, 09:50 PM

Noli, as you probably know, the basic difference between the M1.2s and M2.2s is that the M2.2s offer a bit more power but less Class A power. The Sophia II is not a particularly hard speaker to drive so either amp will do. There is also no such thing as too much but there is definitely such a thing as too little. Not in this case though.

Your room is just a tad bigger than the room I had the Sophia IIs in and it is perfect dimension wise for them.

I am very confident in saying that the Sophia II and Lamm M1.2/2.2 will be an unforgettable combination!

Go for it.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:56 PM

Noli,

I am using Sophia 2s in a room that is 14 x16.5 x9 feet and getting outstanding results. Your room would be a great match for the Sophia 2s.