AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 12-10-2017, 12:47 PM

Default MC8207 vs MC207 vs MC205 or (MC7205)

My MX122 arrived yesterday, still sealed in box. Last night I got my Salamander Synergy assembled, new 82 inch 4k Sammy hung in the wall, and my rear channel speakers hung on the wall. All my other Mc equipment is also stacked and sitting in boxes, waiting to be placed in the rack this afternoon. It is FINALLY all coming together. Pictures to come soon.
Which leads me to one last thing....how to handle the surround channels. I have a pair of MC501 for the front channels. I had considered some of the older Mc amps in various states of operation (both stereo and mono) but really, by the time I add up the cost of 3 individual amps, rack space, power cords, etc...makes more sense to buy a newer, balanced multi channel amp. If I go with a 5 channel I'm all set for 7.1 sound BUT I could go with a 7 channel to really future proof myself (fully utilize the mx122 capability by adding more speakers for 9.1 sound in the future) The 8207 does not have meters but the price is very attractive. Will no meters hurt the resale value? I don't think the 8207 amp is too popular as I don't see any info out there. I can get a 205 for about $800 more. I'd gain meters but loose 2 channels although the7.1 sound might just be enough for me as I don't know how long it will be before we move to a house with appropriate space for a 9.1 set-up. Thoughts or experience with any of these 3 amps?? Lastly, the MC7205 was under consideration. Great price (about half) of the least expensive amp mentioned above, it has meters BUT...is not balanced, rca only and is a older, not current production.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:13 PM

MC207 is the way to go
Old 12-10-2017, 01:14 PM

I have posted this before. I thought I needed to have the blue meters on my HT amp so I purchased a new MC205. When I got it home I noticed a slight buzzing coming out of the rear left corner with no load on it. I had my wife bring it back to Audio Classics (it is drivable for us). They tied another brand new sealed box MC205 and it had the same problem. They then got out a brand new MC8207 and it was dead quite. So she brought that one home and I have been very happy ever since. I have actually gotten to really like the LED meters since they are not as bright as the big blue meters for HT. I have heard of others since that have had this problem. I didn't try the MC207.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Everest, Altaira
Old 12-10-2017, 01:19 PM

m've looked at a similar setup and the same amps to go with my 501's. This multi-channel amp would replace the two amps I currently use for the rear surround & center channel speakers.

Since I will not be expanding beyond a 5.1 system, my selection criteria is more about getting the right power for those speakers, I need at least 3 channels, having current technology, balanced inputs & similar design aesthetics to my current McGear.

In the end, having considered the MC207, MC205 & the MC8207; the MC205 meets all my needs.

Good luck with your search!
Old 12-10-2017, 01:25 PM

I am happy with the mc8207 but have not compared it with the other options.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:19 PM

@ChicagoDog, out of curiosity I just looked up the MC7205. It looks like it only gets 120 watts / channel into 8ohms. The 200 is into 4ohms. Which leads me to ask...

What percentage are you listening to Music vs HT? I ask because your two channel sources are fantastic, but I don't see a 2-channel pre-amp in your signature. If you listen to more Music I might recommend getting a 2-channel preamp with HT passthrough, and an even cheaper MC7106 to tie you over until you figure out if you really need 9 channels. The MC7106 can be bridged and pump out 320 watts for three 8ohm channels, or for your 7.1, 320 watts for the center and 100 watts for all four surrounds. The 100 watts for the surrounds is probably fine but the 320 for the center might really clear things up over the MC7205 for the dialog. I have the MC7106 but I'm holding on to it. There's one on audiogon now for about the price I got mine used 8 years ago (you could resell it later at hardly any loss). If you think you do want 9 channels and blue meters down the road, no matter what you get now you'll probably be getting the MC207 at some point. Just get it and know it will rock. My dad has one with the MC501s as well, I just can't compare the two because our rooms are so different.

For reference, I also have an MDA-1000 which I ran through an MX-119 for a time, then a C2300 was added which greatly improved 2-channel. I also tried it with a C47 which I liked quite a bit too. My room is pretty funky so I removed my multichannel for now and repurposed the MX119 and MC7106 for bedroom 2 channel. I'm quite happy living in stereo and not worrying about dolby atmos, more speakers, and more amps clogging up my living area until my next home. If I had to focus on music, or focus on HT, I know which one I'd choose. Your choice might be different, and that's ok!
Old 12-12-2017, 09:24 PM

I just bought the 7106 mentioned above. I'll use it for a few weeks with inexpensive rca cables, bridge it to just use 3 of the 6 channels for center channel and rear for now.

Last edited by Masterlu; 12-12-2017 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Discussing gear for sale is not permitted on the Open Forum.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:48 AM

Congrats ChicagoDog on your 7106. I used that HT amp for quite a few years and never had a problem except for the light bulbs burning out and you can't easily plug in an upgraded power cord. That unit is very flexible to use. I used it first for center and rears in HT and then as front, center bridged and rears for a TV system. For the future you may want to upgrade to a MC207 or MC8207. I was told by the dealer that they were the same amp except for the blue vs LED meters. I thought there was quite an improvement with the upgrade.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Everest, Altaira
Old 12-29-2017, 01:38 AM

UPDATE: The 7106 arrived dead. When I flipped the power switch on it briefly lit an e very small portion of 2 of the red colored power meters on the front and I think one of the power guard lights and then immediately went out. The power switch was a little loose in my opinion, the faceplate and lights never lit up at all. The box was original factory packing and no visible shipping damage. I sent it back for a refund and the seller was fine with that. Too bad because the price was right. Looking at spending way, way to much more $ now with AC and getting a MC205 or MC8207 now instead..
Old 12-29-2017, 08:20 AM

FWIW i went from 205 to 207 and dont regret the $difference. Sound is exactly the same. Hiwever, i was one of those who had to live with the characteristic humm the 205 makes. I used onenof those D/C filters with excellent results, but always fretted at the fact i needed one to make a $6000 amp quiet. Plus the 207 had KNOBS!!!
Have fun.