AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Focal Speakers

Focal Speakers The Spirit of Sound

Old 05-21-2015, 11:56 AM

Not sure, so far it sounds like the line is reamining as I noticed posts over on AVS saying the premium finishes are being discontinued on the Electra's but no talk about discontinuing the line.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:03 PM
Retired

My 807Ws are the piano finish red and I no longer even notice the color. Not sure if I would feel the same about white or orange. Think the time to step back up to some larger speakers is approaching and the 1038s are definitely on my radar.

Talked to my "local" (nothing is local to the Jersey shore) dealer about the new Sopra line and he offered such a good deal on a new pair of the Electra 1008BeIIs that I could not say no. The deal maker was a generous trade allowance on my 807Ws. Black lacquer. So much for a 'larger' speaker. The finish is an integral part of Wilson speakers. Makes me wonder if the finish might not be same on the Electra and higher level Focal speakers, as well. Should have the new speakers tomorrow or Thursday. Here is a link to the Sopra info on the Focal website.
http://www.focal.com/en/334-sopra
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 05-26-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:47 PM

Hello,

I seeking your help guys

I am living in a place where I can't audition speakers at all. I am on the fence between Focal Sopra N2 and SF Olympica 3. I prefer warm yet open and detailed sound. Musicality is my priority (not fan of clinical sound signature).

I am familiar with the sound of Olympica II and Aria 926.

I know that is totally subjective but I really want to hear from you
Old 09-24-2015, 06:29 PM
Audiophilia Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterLuJr View Post
Really dislike those speakers! Why would they put an emblem on the front of a speaker that looks like something a little kid would draw?!? Definitely would have looked better with a "clean" front. No matter how many times I go listen to Focal at shows/etc I just think their is better speakers available for less or the same money. I know "better" is in the eye/ear of the beholder but never met someone blown away by Focal. I know they've had some really negative reviews when it comes to the tweeters but that could be due to that long break in period. Hopefully they finally stopped making the cabinets out of MDF, I think that would help them, always a complaint I hear/heard. They always have had a unique design that some people love, just has yet to do it for me. I'll keep checking them out at the shows to see if a new model hits it out of the ballpark though!
I'm not sure where you're getting your information. Along with the other member, I have heard only positive feedback on the Focals. To give you an idea, I have ss and tubes that I alternate. When one or the other is connected to my Focal 806Vs, I have experienced for the first time a 3D Holographic texture. At first I thought it do to the tube integrated amp I have, which was when I first noticed the sound. When I swapped out the tube integrated and connected a ss integrated amp in the system, I was getting the same sound. The best I can figure is, it's due to the break-in. The longer they were playing, that's when the 3D holographic texture occurred.

The Focals are by far the best speaker I have experienced in my price range. I would love to audition a pair of towers so I would have something to compare them to. With current projects going on, that will have to go to the bottom of the list for now. As long as my listening room stays 11ft wide x 14ft long, these are the perfect match for the room.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:45 PM

[QUOTE=MasterLuJr;699390. I know "better" is in the eye/ear of the beholder but never met someone blown away by Focal.![/QUOTE]
Well you have now
Not a noob to HIFI and with approximately 20 hours on my Focal 1038be's I can say I've not heard better in the price range or even considerably higher. They are incredible speakers.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:53 PM

A great review from Soundstagehifi about Focal Sopra No.2!

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index....2-loudspeakers
Old 10-07-2015, 04:15 PM

I listened to the Focal Sopra 2s at RMAF. The first day I had a brief listen and thought they were one of the better speaker values at the show. What a difference a day makes...the next day I spent approximately 45 minutes listening to the Sopra 2s and thought they sounded like different speakers. As a matter of fact, a women told the Focal guy that the record he was playing, "sounded horrible" and to change it. I don't know how many hours they had, but they didn't sound musical. I would describe the sound as forward and I prefer a slightly warm sound. Of course it may have been the room/setup!
Old 10-08-2015, 04:54 AM

Interesting, Did they change anything from day 1 to 2 in the room?

I find them to be extraordinary, when optimal care is taken with placement.
I've moved my speakers and main listening position aprox. 50 times in the same area, sometimes just an inch at the time to get the best juice out of them.
The result I have now is my preferable balance between superb imaging and extreme depth of soundstage, and bass output.

The difference between my first spot for the speakers, and where I have them now is completely night and day. They were good to start with, and spectacular now.
Just moving my listening position just a few inches back Looses alot of the depth in the soundstage.

Ensuring optimal placement for your speakers is one of the most important Things for me.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:14 AM

I think the issues with the Focal Sopra 2's at RMAF were related to break-in time.
The break-in cycle will produce inconsistent results until the drivers have fully settled.
The dealer sponsoring the room confirmed that the speakers were brand new and would not sound optimal for the event.

Boulder 1160 Amp, 1110 Pre-Amp
Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono-Pre
Vivid Audio Giya G2S2 Speakers
MSB Reference DAC
Innuos Statement w/Next Gen. PS
B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner
Kronos Pro Turntable w/Kronoscope RS tonearm + SCPS-1 PS + MSL Platinum Cart.
VPI HW-40 Turntable w/ Lyra Etna cartridge
Jay's Audio CDT3-MK3 CD Transport
Schiit Mjolnir 2 HPA + Audeze LCD X headphones
Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
Furutech Outlets and Plates + NCF Booster
Shunyata Cables
Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments
Old 10-08-2015, 04:20 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio 1 View Post
I think the issues with the Focal Sopra 2's at RMAF were related to break-in time.
The break-in cycle will produce inconsistent results until the drivers have fully settled.
The dealer sponsoring the room confirmed that the speakers were brand new and would not sound optimal for the event.
Don't you hate it when some event like the RMAF sneaks up on you unannounced?
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag