AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 12-02-2012, 04:39 AM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
Hi David,

I like forgiving. There is a dealer selling a 1060 amp very close to me. Should I go check it out
Yes IF they are using very good cables on the warm/harmonically rich side, but also relaxed and natural (eg: Jorma Prime, Siltech Royal Sig, Kubala Sosna Emotion/Elation etc), the amps have been fully warmed up (ie: running with a signal for 2-4hrs) and they're using a very good, warm/rich sounding source (eg: Vitus, Soulution, Audio Aero (eg: La Fontaine), Zanden, Ayon CD-5s, ARC CD-8, McIntosh MCD-1100, Audio Note etc) or a good vinyl source, and speakers which like a bit of power & can take advantage of the Boulder's speed, and you're in for a treat. But matched with the wrong cables & a neutral, overly analytical source, or worse, amps which have just been switched on and you'll likely walk away underwhelmed. Note: the above set up recommendations apply to running the matching 1010 preamp. Run with a reference valve pre, you could use more neutral cables like Argento Flow, KS Elation or Jorma Origo & a solid state cdp with great success. It's all about system synergy!

I, and some reviewers in similar terms, often refer to the 1060 as the "thinking man's amp". It is extraudinarly capable. It has incredible power, neutrality, effortlessness and a natural, uncolored sound which reveals the inner detail in music unlike any amp i've ever owned. It's incredible drive and control wholy match the energy and drama of the most dramatic classical compositions (if your accompanying equipment is up to it). It's resolution and neutrality however mean it is sensitive to cable choices and will let through your source's qualities unmolested, so it requires careful system matching to achieve perfect synergy, but oh baby does this amp reward you if you put that effort in! Incidentally, the input impedance of the 1060 is 100k ohms (balanced) or 50k ohms (unbalanced) which is benign to even the weakest tube preamps. Inner Ear Magazine did a review of the 1060 paired with a Vac Renaissance Signature Mk2 a while back which is a good read - The Inner Ear Magazine - Discover High End

Last edited by Bodhisattva; 12-02-2012 at 05:28 AM. Reason: added link
Old 12-04-2012, 12:55 PM

Default 1060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Yes IF they are using very good cables on the warm/harmonically rich side, but also relaxed and natural (eg: Jorma Prime, Siltech Royal Sig, Kubala Sosna Emotion/Elation etc), the amps have been fully warmed up (ie: running with a signal for 2-4hrs) and they're using a very good, warm/rich sounding source (eg: Vitus, Soulution, Audio Aero (eg: La Fontaine), Zanden, Ayon CD-5s, ARC CD-8, McIntosh MCD-1100, Audio Note etc) or a good vinyl source, and speakers which like a bit of power & can take advantage of the Boulder's speed, and you're in for a treat. But matched with the wrong cables & a neutral, overly analytical source, or worse, amps which have just been switched on and you'll likely walk away underwhelmed. Note: the above set up recommendations apply to running the matching 1010 preamp. Run with a reference valve pre, you could use more neutral cables like Argento Flow, KS Elation or Jorma Origo & a solid state cdp with great success. It's all about system synergy!

I, and some reviewers in similar terms, often refer to the 1060 as the "thinking man's amp". It is extraudinarly capable. It has incredible power, neutrality, effortlessness and a natural, uncolored sound which reveals the inner detail in music unlike any amp i've ever owned. It's incredible drive and control wholy match the energy and drama of the most dramatic classical compositions (if your accompanying equipment is up to it). It's resolution and neutrality however mean it is sensitive to cable choices and will let through your source's qualities unmolested, so it requires careful system matching to achieve perfect synergy, but oh baby does this amp reward you if you put that effort in! Incidentally, the input impedance of the 1060 is 100k ohms (balanced) or 50k ohms (unbalanced) which is benign to even the weakest tube preamps. Inner Ear Magazine did a review of the 1060 paired with a Vac Renaissance Signature Mk2 a while back which is a good read - The Inner Ear Magazine - Discover High End

I have a Boulder 1060 and plan on purchasing the S5 this week. I currently have the Magico V2. I have to disagree with the opinion on the cabling/tubes above. I just can't understand a 25k amp that you use tone controls on... It makes no sense to me. I purchased the 1060 because of the "perceived" neutrality, effortless power etc. IMO, you get the most out of it using products that just get out of the way ie. neutral cables, neutral Preamp etc. etc. If I was looking for a euphoric sound, I would have looked elsewhere. I have had the 1010- which I felt was a bit brittle, the VAC Ren Sig Mk2 -beautiful sound but very colored to my ears but I can see why many adore this preamp, and finally the 2010- game over (for now..).

I have come full circle on cabling which I guess is my issue with the previous post. From the cheap to the mega buck to Gold plated you name it.... I'm now back to the cheap "no editorializing" camp. I really don't want to turn this into a cable thread but for me, personally, I'd sell all the boutique cable, buy something "neutral" and put the rest toward the best preamp or source you can afford. IME Bigger gains can be had by just moving your speakers a 1/2" here or there.... Room treatment (huge) etc.

In the end, it just seems we are chasing our tails trying to make speakers and especially components into something they are not. We all have our own goals in this silly hobby and I guess mine is to get exactly what is on the record without the sugar coating........for better or worse.

Anyway, this thread is about the S5 and I'm really looking forward to it!!!
Old 12-06-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hessec View Post
Congratulations! please tell us how it sounds with the 1060 when you get your S5
Old 12-07-2012, 06:39 AM

S5 HiFi+ review
http://www.absolutesounds.com/pdf/ma...gicoS54web.pdf
Old 12-07-2012, 06:59 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

hessec... Welcome!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 12-07-2012, 08:05 PM

I would love to hear this speaker with there new center.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:53 PM

Colors

Old 12-22-2012, 04:05 PM

I had a listen to the S5's today while doing a little browsing at my local store. They were hooked up to Mark Levinson monoblock amps, an Audio Research Ref 5 SE preamp, streaming lossless files via Sonos through an Audio Research DAC 8.

I have listened to the Q3's in the same store, same room and honestly wasn't real impressed with them. Sure they were insanely accurate and all, but I couldn't find myself having any fun while listening to them. It was like they were making me sit still and pay close attention to what was going on and I had to be on my best behavior or I might miss something. The S5's however seem to be voiced slightly differently. Still incredibly accurate and revealing, but the fun was back. I was grinning like an idiot the whole time listening to them, where I probably had a very intense look on my face while listening to the Q3's. They disappeared completely and went respectably low without a sub hooked up (although I am used to having my F113 in the mix). Absolutely 0 harshness to be found anywhere (unless it was a horrible recording), even when playing songs that one might not consider "appropriate" for auditioning a 30k speaker. I wish I had the funds to get them, and a wife that wouldn't think I was nuts for spending that amount on speakers, guess they will just remain on the wishlist indefinitely.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:40 PM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by hessec View Post
I have a Boulder 1060 and plan on purchasing the S5 this week. I currently have the Magico V2. I have to disagree with the opinion on the cabling/tubes above. I just can't understand a 25k amp that you use tone controls on... It makes no sense to me. I purchased the 1060 because of the "perceived" neutrality, effortless power etc. IMO, you get the most out of it using products that just get out of the way ie. neutral cables, neutral Preamp etc. etc. If I was looking for a euphoric sound, I would have looked elsewhere. I have had the 1010- which I felt was a bit brittle, the VAC Ren Sig Mk2 -beautiful sound but very colored to my ears but I can see why many adore this preamp, and finally the 2010- game over (for now..).

I have come full circle on cabling which I guess is my issue with the previous post. From the cheap to the mega buck to Gold plated you name it.... I'm now back to the cheap "no editorializing" camp. I really don't want to turn this into a cable thread but for me, personally, I'd sell all the boutique cable, buy something "neutral" and put the rest toward the best preamp or source you can afford. IME Bigger gains can be had by just moving your speakers a 1/2" here or there.... Room treatment (huge) etc.

In the end, it just seems we are chasing our tails trying to make speakers and especially components into something they are not. We all have our own goals in this silly hobby and I guess mine is to get exactly what is on the record without the sugar coating........for better or worse.

Firstly congrats on your new speakers. I've heard the S5's in two different setups with Vitus and Dartzeel amps and was very impressed. In regard to my comments, I think you have perhaps misunderstood me. The cables I mentioned could not be called "tone controls", except perhaps the KS Emotions, but certainly none of the other cables mentioned. I re-read the Dagogo & Positive Feedback reviews of the Jorma Primes and could find no reference to "euphonic" to describe those cables. In fact, Robert Levi described the Primes in these terms - "These cables have an amazing neutrality. Coloration is so low that I was unable to identify any, yet I heard and felt an organic, involving presentation that was as good as it gets".

Also note I did not give any specific recommendations for a reference tube preamp, and by no means believe that is necessarily the best way to go. It's a matter of personal taste. Again, I would not recommend a coloured sounding preamp like a Vac Ren Sig or a uphonic sounding pre like an older CJ or ARC pre. I personally don't favour using a tube pre with my 1060, and will be sticking with Boulder. However if I were going to recommend a tube pre, i'd recommend the ARC Ref 5SE which is by no means euphonic, or euphoric for that matter, but rather more neutral and transparent, with a touch of warmth. Much like the Jorma Primes or KS Elations.

I appreciate your feedback on the the Boulder 2010 pre. I had been planning on keeping my 1010 pre and upgrading my tt & sc's. Instead I might consider a radical move of moving my vinyl rig & 1010 preamp on, upgrading my cd player & just concentrate on digital audio. The 2010 could be a strong contender for my next preamp

Last edited by Bodhisattva; 12-22-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:26 PM

Everything makes a difference. It just depends on if you like the difference.