AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 01-18-2012, 04:13 AM

Default Midrange Shindo Upgrade - Pre or Amp?

As i boxed up my Monbrison to send out for a checkup I started to think about what Shindo move I would make next given the opportunity.

Currently my system of Monbrison, Montille, Devore 9's, and Transporter (source) have made me a Shindo fan. I've been thinking about my musical tastes (Classic Rock, Newer Rock, Vocals, and Acoustic Jazz) and source preference (digital mainly due to content) and was wondering what would be the next logical and best sounding upgrade. I also just purchased a Metrum Octave DAC to improve my front end.

If going the Amp route my thoughts were to consider a Cortese or CCQ.

If going the Preamp route my thoughts were to consider a Masseto or VR.

Since i'm not really taking advantage of the analog benefits of the preamp (yet) and will likely continue to focus on my digital content library my gut tells me the amp would be the right move.

Based on my musical preferences (artists can be provided) what is the recommended amp type to look for (higher power, push-pull type or lower power, SET type) or does it matter? The Devore 9s are not inefficient but they're not O96 efficient.

Just looking for food for thought from my favorite forum. This isn't a near term plan but more a future thought process or wish list planning although those used wares from Serge are looking mighty tempting.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:24 PM

Hi Jayson, if your tastes run to Classic and Newer Rock you may also want to consider the Haut Brion amp. I found it to have a lot more punch and dyanamics than my Montille.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhesiv View Post
... I started to think about what Shindo move I would make next given the opportunity....
I must urge caution!

You're already showing signs that you've decided to upgrade...

So while it is an extremely gratifying illness, it requires immediate attention...

Last edited by FranklinLG; 01-18-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinLG

I must urge caution!

You're already showing signs that you've decided to upgrade...

So while it is an extremely gratifying illness, it requires immediate attention...
FranklinLG,
I should've listened!!
Old 01-18-2012, 01:57 PM

But in all seriousness, Adhesiv, I'd ask Matt over at PPA, since you're already dealing with him. That said,I think I'd opt for the Pre upgrade over a general amp upgrade. But I can appreciate your dilemma.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhesiv View Post
As i boxed up my Monbrison to send out for a checkup I started to think about what Shindo move I would make next given the opportunity.

Currently my system of Monbrison, Montille, Devore 9's, and Transporter (source) have made me a Shindo fan. I've been thinking about my musical tastes (Classic Rock, Newer Rock, Vocals, and Acoustic Jazz) and source preference (digital mainly due to content) and was wondering what would be the next logical and best sounding upgrade. I also just purchased a Metrum Octave DAC to improve my front end.

If going the Amp route my thoughts were to consider a Cortese or CCQ.

If going the Preamp route my thoughts were to consider a Masseto or VR.

Since i'm not really taking advantage of the analog benefits of the preamp (yet) and will likely continue to focus on my digital content library my gut tells me the amp would be the right move.

Based on my musical preferences (artists can be provided) what is the recommended amp type to look for (higher power, push-pull type or lower power, SET type) or does it matter? The Devore 9s are not inefficient but they're not O96 efficient.

Just looking for food for thought from my favorite forum. This isn't a near term plan but more a future thought process or wish list planning although those used wares from Serge are looking mighty tempting.
I'd definitely focus on an amp and/or even consider a speaker upgrade before ditching the Monbrison. It's a terrific pre-amp and I think you'll definitely get more bang-for-the-buck elsewhere. As for Shindo amps, the Cortese unfortunately isn't a good match (Nines do love power).
Old 01-20-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grey View Post
I'd definitely focus on an amp and/or even consider a speaker upgrade before ditching the Monbrison. It's a terrific pre-amp and I think you'll definitely get more bang-for-the-buck elsewhere. As for Shindo amps, the Cortese unfortunately isn't a good match (Nines do love power).
What is a reasonable amount of power for the nines?
Old 01-20-2012, 11:01 PM

I wish I could help with the Nines. If it helps any, Matt used the Corton Charlemagnes at 25w with the new DeVore Gibbon Tens (Xs) at his Greenhaus event.

The CC monos easily drove the Xs at volume, and his display room is a nice sized room. Actually I was blown away at how good the Xs were in that setting!
Old 01-21-2012, 12:43 AM

Tell us more about the X's!!
Old 01-21-2012, 12:50 AM

CJ,

Here's a photo of the X's:

Wizard High-End Audio Blog: DeVore Fidelity Gibbon X speakers

Candidly, I was a little surprised to read they cost $11K. For that money I'd jump up to the Os.