AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Accuphase

Accuphase Enrich Life through Technology

Old 07-01-2019, 03:20 PM

I like how the DP750 can play high res data disc up to 24/192 and DSD128. Most other high end players can't do that.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
I like how the DP750 can play high res data disc up to 24/192 and DSD128. Most other high end players can't do that.
No issues here with the Luxman D-06 SACD/USB player. High res downloads from boutique studious are the bomb!

The leading-edge USB D/A converter is provided to support 384 kHz/32-bit PCM and 5.64 MHz DSD
Old 07-01-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
No issues here with the Luxman D-06 SACD/USB player. High res downloads from boutique studious are the bomb!

The leading-edge USB D/A converter is provided to support 384 kHz/32-bit PCM and 5.64 MHz DSD
Can the Luxman play high res files via data discs as well? I'm talking about burning the files onto a DVD disc and playing back in the machine. Not via USB, which is common place.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:15 PM

Default ,

Quote:
Can the Luxman play high res files via data discs as well? I'm talking about burning the files onto a DVD disc and playing back in the machine. Not via USB, which is common place.
That I have not tried. Take a look at the specs on Luxman website, maybe they will have the answer you are looking for
Old 07-01-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
That I have not tried. Take a look at the specs on Luxman website, maybe they will have the answer you are looking for
Website says 2ch SACD and CD. So I assume it's not compatible with data discs. I believe the Accuphase uses some kind of Sony laser, hence it can read data discs. Very useful for someone who doesn't want an extra component (e.g. computer or music server) in the system.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Website says 2ch SACD and CD. So I assume it's not compatible with data discs. I believe the Accuphase uses some kind of Sony laser, hence it can read data discs. Very useful for someone who doesn't want an extra component (e.g. computer or music server) in the system.
I am not into burning music onto DVD/R/W at all myself but I can see your point if that is important.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:43 AM

In my opinion, being able to play these data discs is a bit of a gimmick. Firstly, burned CD will never have the same quality as commercially produced CDs. When I got my DP-560 I was also quite exited about the option to play data CDs. Firstly, I found that my burned standard CDs sounded awful compared to a bought ones. Then I burned my few high res albums on DVDs using a relatively high quality burner (around £100) and a bit perfect burner software. I then bought a CD for one of these albums to compare and realised that the CD was still slightly better than the burned DVD. The clicking noise between tracks was also annoying. I know there is a software that enables you to burn everything into a single file but I feels this is really not ideal. One should not forget that Accuphase SACD players have such high quality DACs that the potential digital noise issues you can have with a standard CD simply don't exist anymore. With a DP-750 you can simply by the albums of your favourite musicians and the best interpretations and you don't have to worry about getting CD or SACD or any other high res.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblssmp2 View Post
In my opinion, being able to play these data discs is a bit of a gimmick. Firstly, burned CD will never have the same quality as commercially produced CDs. When I got my DP-560 I was also quite exited about the option to play data CDs. Firstly, I found that my burned standard CDs sounded awful compared to a bought ones. Then I burned my few high res albums on DVDs using a relatively high quality burner (around £100) and a bit perfect burner software. I then bought a CD for one of these albums to compare and realised that the CD was still slightly better than the burned DVD. The clicking noise between tracks was also annoying. I know there is a software that enables you to burn everything into a single file but I feels this is really not ideal. One should not forget that Accuphase SACD players have such high quality DACs that the potential digital noise issues you can have with a standard CD simply don't exist anymore. With a DP-750 you can simply by the albums of your favourite musicians and the best interpretations and you don't have to worry about getting CD or SACD or any other high res.
Very interesting and informative! Thx!
Old 07-04-2019, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblssmp2 View Post
A few remarks:

The DP-560 supports the following data disc formats: wav, flac, DSF and DSDIFF (according to Accuphase).

A commercially produced CD (16bit/44,1kHz) follows the 'redbook standard', and is completely different from a data disc.
Using a professional software (e.g. Steinberg WaveLab) to burn your own 'redbook standard' audio (not data!) CDs will not show any sonic differences to commercially produced CDs,
since this is one of the media formats delivered by studios to the commercial CD manufacturing plant.

A commercially produced 'redbook standard' CD is a single file. Tracks are separated by track markers on the CD and there are no noise or digital clicks. Using a professional software you might need to learn about PQ editing.

It is important to use absolutely professional grade CD-Rs (e.g. Taiyo Yuden manufactured by CMCpro) to keep error rates as low as possible.
These CD-Rs are higher priced (up to $1 a piece) than CD-Rs available in the shop around the corner.

The bottom line:
Burned CDs can have the same quality as commercially produced CDs provided you use the right tools and media.

Martin

P.S. Accuphase upsamples 16bit/44,1kHz CDs to 176,4kHz before converting to analog.

Lenovo P51 Xeon, Supermicro X10SAE, Plextor PX-891SA, Wavelab 9.5, Taiyo Yuden CDR Watershield White T-CDR80WPPWS-50SB
Accuphase DP-900/DC-901, C-3850, 2x A-250, B&W 800 D3, Audioquest WEL Signature XLR and speaker cables

Last edited by meltemi; 07-04-2019 at 03:37 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltemi View Post
A few remarks:

The DP-560 supports the following data disc formats: wav, flac, DSF and DSDIFF (according to Accuphase).

A commercially produced CD (16bit/44,1kHz) follows the 'redbook standard', and is completely different from a data disc.
Using a professional software (e.g. Steinberg WaveLab) to burn your own 'redbook standard' audio (not data!) CDs will not show any sonic differences to commercially produced CDs,
since this is one of the media formats delivered by studios to the commercial CD manufacturing plant.

A commercially produced 'redbook standard' CD is a single file. Tracks are separated by track markers on the CD and there are no noise or digital clicks. Using a professional software you might need to learn about PQ editing.

It is important to use absolutely professional grade CD-Rs (e.g. Taiyo Yuden manufactured by CMCpro) to keep error rates as low as possible.
These CD-Rs are higher priced (up to $1 a piece) than CD-Rs available in the shop around the corner.

The bottom line:
Burned CDs can have the same quality as commercially produced CDs provided you use the right tools and media.

Martin

P.S. Accuphase upsamples 16bit/44,1kHz CDs to 176,4kHz before converting to analog.

Lenovo P51 Xeon, Supermicro X10SAE, Plextor PX-891SA, Wavelab 9.5, Taiyo Yuden CDR Watershield White T-CDR80WPPWS-50SB
Accuphase DP-900/DC-901, C-3850, 2x A-250, B&W 800 D3, Audioquest WEL Signature XLR and speaker cables
Great post...absolutely agreed, particularly regarding the use of Taiyo Yuden or MoFI CD-RW blanks! Please note that burn speed and error checking parameters are of huge importance. If you are able to burn at 1X speed or another low multiple, that makes a big difference. Not all CD-RWs or burners are capable but if possible use 1X burn speed.

Last edited by SCAudiophile; 07-04-2019 at 08:55 AM.