AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc

MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc Ultra High End Equipment

Old 11-09-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeling View Post
My dealer says major update coming Feb 2016
I was told the major update will include a hardware update in the upsampler. The network card of Vivaldi will need to be changed to the same updated one in Rossini. So it is not a simple firmware update by disc.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:17 AM

There is a major firmware release for the Vivaldi DAC (related to the mapping of the audio stream to the multiple DAC chips inside) which is due imminently.
This version was already demonstrated at the CES 16, on a prototype status.

The new firmware will also update the behavior of the USB input as I have been told.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:04 AM

Having been a long time "lurker" on this forum, I am pleased that my first post, corresponds with being able to report the long awaited software update to the dCS Vivaldi DAC, which will take place this afternoon!

Last year, I upgraded from a Paganini Transport & DAC to the Vivaldi Transport, DAC and Master Word Clock. Being primarily a user of CD/SACD's and vinyl, I did not see a good argument for going the whole hog and purchasing a Vivaldi Upsampler. I have a Melco N1A Digital Music Library, but that plugs into the Vivaldi DAC via a USB cable and really does everything I want it to.

However, my dealer has been trying to get me to hear a Vivaldi Upsampler in my system and Liam Davidson from dCS has asked to visit, to listen to some tunes. So, imagine my excitement, this morning, when my dealer rang and said that not only would Liam be bringing a Vivaldi Upsampler with him this afternoon, but also the much awaited software update disc for the Vivaldi DAC!

I will report back in due course, when I have had the opportunity to evaluate the software upgrade and comment as to whether the inclusion of the Vivaldi Upsampler is worthwhile in the context of my priority with listening to discs on the Vivaldi Transport!
Old 03-22-2016, 03:26 PM

Having had the opportunity to listen to my system before and after the Version 2.0 DAC upgrade and with the Upsampler switched in and out, I will say that the addition of the Upsampler is doing something to the sound! Liam suggested that up sampling CD to DXD via the Upsampler was relieving the Vivaldi Transport of some of the processing work and was therefore a good thing. SACD replay is apparently unaffected, bypassing the Upsampler and sending the DSD signal straight to the Vivaldi DAC. My initial impression of the Upsampler being "in circuit" was a tightening of the bass and an overall greater transparency to the sound, with greater "air" being present around individual instruments and vocals! As the Upsampler only really comes into it's own if you choose to upsample from 44.1KHz (not everyone's preference) it is a very expensive component addition (I am not interested in TIDAL, streaming or most of the other things that the Upsampler brings to the table).

It was a very worthwhile exercise and an upgrade that I may well consider at some point in the future, but it is not a "must have" for me at this time.

Initial impressions of the Version 2.0 DAC software update are encouraging. I have only sampled MAP1 (there are three MAP options on the settings menu) briefly, so far, but there is certainly a leap in detail retrieval, focus and resolution!
Old 03-22-2016, 03:27 PM

Old 03-24-2016, 11:40 AM

Thanks for the update.

Source 2 - Avid Acutus SP reference + Thales Reference tone arm + Benz Micro LPS (DS Audio Master 1 broken tip repaired but cost me USD2k. Still having issues - channel imbalance - back to dealer. However, channel issues not withstanding, sounded very very nice. Need to get it back soonest)

Source 3 - DCS Vivaldi + Antelope reference clock or Cybershaft Op18 (not floating my boat so far)

Source 5 - ROON ROCK with Aurender W20 as NAS & 2 units of SOTM switch with 10M input (the new frontier but still cannot beat CD for now) - ROON endpoint - Vivaldi upsampler

Amplification - Naim Statement

Speakers - ProAc Carbon 8 + JL FM113 x2 (replacement purchased - Stella Utopia EVO but due to lockdown, could be a year's wait)

Purepower 2000 x 2 (&$@#% but
sounds nice)

Shunyata Denali X 2
Old 04-21-2016, 11:23 AM

I updated my Vivaldi DAC to 2.0 firmware today. It does bring very good improvement indeed. The whole sonic picture has changed. It is now a lot more analog and smooth. There is an obvious change in the character of the DAC. Fortunately for those who still prefer the original sound, there is the original mapper to choose. I upgraded my Vivaldi system several times from 1.0 onwards, this is the largest improvement by a wide margin.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLi View Post
I updated my Vivaldi DAC to 2.0 firmware today. It does bring very good improvement indeed. The whole sonic picture has changed. It is now a lot more analog and smooth. There is an obvious change in the character of the DAC. Fortunately for those who still prefer the original sound, there is the original mapper to choose. I upgraded my Vivaldi system several times from 1.0 onwards, this is the largest improvement by a wide margin.
Did you upload the software with a transport? I don't use a transport only files. The instructions say this the load is possible using a computer, disk drive and a bit perfect output. Would like to hear if anyone performed the update this way and if there are any issues. I'm giving it a try Saturday this week.

Cincy
Magico Q-Sub 15 Subwoofers (2)
Transparent Opus Gen5 speaker cables and Interconnects
PS Audio P20 regenerator
Roon file management
Old 04-21-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post
Did you upload the software with a transport? I don't use a transport only files. The instructions say this the load is possible using a computer, disk drive and a bit perfect output. Would like to hear if anyone performed the update this way and if there are any issues. I'm giving it a try Saturday this week.

Cincy
I got the upgrade disc from my local dealer. The CD has to be played by a CD transport, a Vivaldi transport in my case, the signal is connected to a DAC input.

The whole disc has to be played from start to finish which is around 55 minutes. After collecting the data, the upgrade process is another several minutes. DAC will shut down afterward. When it is switched on again, everything is installed.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:57 PM

I update my Vivaldi DAC by downloading the file onto a USB stick. I plug the stick into my Naim HDX and send bit perfect output into the DAC. I have not tried using the USB input of the DAC and a computer but that is also supposed to work