AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 06-05-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldhorse View Post
I had time today to listen to the KT88 and the sound is just huge, and the bass pronounced. I now share your opinion that having the PRE might just be too much of a boost. It was like a caged bull trying to break free As I don't have an attenuator built in in the Hot-Rod I might just look around for a passive PRE. Until I do, I'll play around with the smaller tubes.

With the 7581A, I'm interested to see how they would sound with 6SL7's in the gain stage. These on the other hand may benefit from the extra gain. We'll see.
Life is good!
You can surely try those 6SL7's for the extra gain. Yet, there are tradeoffs in my view, which may or may not accommodate the rest of your system and your tastes. I personally prefer the 6SN7's, as these are more subtle, and allow the nuisances to come out without any stridency, moderate as that may be with the 6SL7's.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
If anyone here knows the settings for KT77 on a Hickok 600a I would be grateful. I have been unable to find them.
FWIW a KT77 on my 6000a is the same as a 6CA7
Old 06-08-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhparrot View Post
FWIW a KT77 on my 6000a is the same as a 6CA7

Thanks. I did the same and seem to have gotten reliable readings. Interesting the bias and English settings are the same for the 600a and 6000a. Dial settings are different.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:21 AM

Hi, I need help. Last August I purchased a new LP27a preamp (uses either 65 or 27 tubes, 6BX7, and 80 rectifier). I'm getting an increasingly annoying hum with this preamp. It sounds like a ground loop? I have swapped out the 80 tube several times and tried different 27 and 56 tubes to no avail. I tested the 6BX7 tube and it tests strong.

The hum will occur just turning on the preamp and connected to my amp with no inputs into the pre. I have several tube, solid state and hybrid amps, and they all hum.

Currently, I stopped using this preamp. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can trouble shoot? Any suggestions as appreciated, thanks.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackpad View Post
Hi, I need help. Last August I purchased a new LP27a preamp (uses either 65 or 27 tubes, 6BX7, and 80 rectifier). I'm getting an increasingly annoying hum with this preamp. It sounds like a ground loop? I have swapped out the 80 tube several times and tried different 27 and 56 tubes to no avail. I tested the 6BX7 tube and it tests strong.

The hum will occur just turning on the preamp and connected to my amp with no inputs into the pre. I have several tube, solid state and hybrid amps, and they all hum.

Currently, I stopped using this preamp. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can trouble shoot? Any suggestions as appreciated, thanks.
I was having interesting noises other than signal in my LP-27a and I cleaned the pins on my tubes and cleared up my noises. Since you have tried the different tubes already to no avail you may try cleaning the sockets also.

I also recommend contacting Dennis. I like to have an excuse to contact him. He is always so enjoyable to converse with. Planning a visit with him next week as a matter of fact.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:06 PM

I have emailed Dennis several days ago, but no reply yet.
What do you recommend for cleaning the sockets and pins? Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
I was having interesting noises other than signal in my LP-27a and I cleaned the pins on my tubes and cleared up my noises. Since you have tried the different tubes already to no avail you may try cleaning the sockets also.

I also recommend contacting Dennis. I like to have an excuse to contact him. He is always so enjoyable to converse with. Planning a visit with him next week as a matter of fact.
Clean the pins with something like a Scotchbrite pad...get all the crud off them. It makes a difference. Sockets too. My LP27a is dead quiet. Yours should be too.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:14 AM

Someone in this forum suggested to use a simple plug-and-play, inexpensive filtering gadget to improve the Amp's performance and allow better bass (please identify yourself, so we can give you credit) ... Well, I tried this gadget today and I'm so impressed I will never go back to the original setup.

With the RED MOD High-Pass filters at 100 Hz (the gadget), the Amp works without the overload of those difficult first 100 Hz frequencies. Passing those exclusively to the SUB (set with a line cross-over at 100Hz), bass lines are seamlessly connected between under and over 100 Hz (there is a tangible difference between reinforcing the bass and complementing it), and the Amp's performance has improved noticiably.

I have so far only tried this with PRE and AMP running GL KT-77's, which used to be somewhat bass-limited in my rig. Not anymore! This setup has been my favorite for a while, and now it is gorgeous! I cannot imagine what this will do with tubes specified at lower max plate current in Triode at 250 V, i.e., EL-34, 6P3S-E (6L6), 350B and 6V6's.

The cited smaller tubes (except the EL34, which I have never tried) struggle with body of sound in my system, essentially due to their limited electrical capacity, while having to deal with the highly demanding low frequencies ... Although I have yet to confirm this with smaller tubes, I bet now I'll be able to enjoy them much more.

Anyone in possession of one or more SUB's must give these a try, they really work.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 06-11-2017 at 01:25 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:12 AM

Let us know if 6V6's still sound anemic. Now you have me considering a subwoofer. MA the Enabler.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
Let us know if 6V6's still sound anemic. Now you have me considering a subwoofer. MA the Enabler.
I recently added a second sub to my office system. A real imaging improvement. Go for it..

I also have the RedMod installed but never a/b'd them so cannot attest to their effects.