AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 11-02-2013, 06:23 PM

Congratulations on your new speakers ! I love mine. The GM sound excellent by themselves but when paired with 2 JLF112 subs they become incredible 3 way speakers with tremendous fast powerful yet tight slam bass ability down to 20 hz and will allow your tube amps to sound even better as they will only need to drive your speakers to 80 hz ie most of the power drain is in the bass, enjoy
Old 11-03-2013, 05:15 AM

Congratulations .......and a very cool delivery vehicle which I also squeeze entirely unreasonable amounts of luggage into occasionally (the run to the airport with 2 sets of skis, poles 'n boots is always fun!!)
Here's to you & your wife enjoying many happy hours of wonderful music!!

Matt
Old 11-03-2013, 09:21 AM

Ron, time to stop shocking and enjoy new, and better sound .
Toga
Old 11-03-2013, 11:23 AM

What a day it has been. I am totally exhausted.

After listening with my wife for a while, we concluded the sound was not different from the Liutos. I was depressed. I cried a little even listening to some music I can't even remember.

Then, my wife went to bed and I realized that I am not open to music or sound until I am alone. With people, the social pressure preoccupies me. Anyhow, after further confirming our judgment through more nondescript music, I thought to listen to Layla. Okay, now things got going a little. My brain told me the individual instruments and voices were more clearly heard; everything was less congested. Great, I felt some justification for my purchase.

My brain had also been telling me how beautiful the woodwork was. At the time I didn't realize it, but now it is so clear: my heart was not open to either the music or the appearance of the speakers. For the first few hours, it was an intellectual understanding. Strangely, as I began to let go of this, the music started to slowly overwhelm me. I replayed Layla and began tearing up at its impact. I started to glimpse the nature of this speaker, and it was an incredible sight.

I put on Daft Punk's Give life back to music and started to feel waves of sound washing over me. It just kept coming, layer after layer, and I was stunned. I could not move. I was standing in our kitchen, crying, trying to believe with my head what my heart had been screaming at me. Around three minutes into the song, you can hear a group of voices in the background. Holy S__t, they were in my room! The assaults just continued to push together my intellectual pessimism with my emotional optimism as all fronts conceded these speakers are F___ing AWESOME!

I stood looking at the woodwork. I fell totally in love with these speakers. OMG, I can't believe they are in my room. I cannot.

Really, they are in a class all themselves. I heard Elton John's Rocket Man for the first time tonight. Actually, I heard it before, many times as I adored him when I was growing up in the 70s, but what can I say, I heard it for the first time tonight. And I don't know if someone saved my life tonight, but I am certain that my perception of the Mementos has been saved. They are just deeply beautiful. The sound is so natural and effortless.

I will continue more tomorrow. Thanks for your interest, and a great thanks to my friend Toga, I am grateful!
ron

Last edited by bachrocks; 11-04-2013 at 05:27 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Life is beautiful

Ron, it's lovely that we could experience your journey. Thank you for sharing.
And a huge congrats!

Toga, it's members like you that make me feel proud to be part of this audiophile community.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 11-03-2013, 12:05 PM

You may have to move the speakers around to get the best sound . Post a picture of your set up. These speakers should image on a different level from most other speakers including your old speakers.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Ron.......I am very happy for you. It is good you gave the Memento's the opportunity to present their very special qualities. Before I had my Guarneri Memento's I owned the Cremona Auditors. The Auditors are very good sounding speakers. Before they arrived I wondered if the Memento's would truly sound better than the Auditors. Once I had the Mementos here and set up it took me several days to fully appreciate the differences I was hearing. I discovered there was more air around voices and instruments, less congestion, with increased clarity across the musical spectrum. Surprisingly, the Memento's bass response was impressive from it's mid-bass driver despite the fact the Memento's begin to roll off fairly quick below about 46Hz. Once I got past the analytical nature of my comparison between the Auditor's and the Memento's and relaxed enough to begin to simply enjoy the music it became clear that the Guarneri Memento's are in a superior league.

What I soon discovered with the Memento's was an absence of deep bass and it's accompanying dynamic impact. I purchased the Bryston 10B Sub active crossover and used my two McIntosh XLS112 powered subwoofers with the Guarneri Memento's. That made a huge and very satisfying improvement in the full range performance. By using the active crossover, sending frequencies above 60Hz to the Mementos and frequencies below 60Hz to the two subwoofers, the Memento's lower and midrange frequencies improved. The GM's mid-bass driver was no longer having to struggle with trying to reproduce the lowest octave in a frequency range below it's roll off point. This improved the clarity and dynamics of the Memento's midrange noticeably, plus now I had deep, impactful bass from the XLS112 subwoofers that was absent in the Memento's by themselves. The combination of the Guarneri Memento's, the Bryston 10B Sub active crossover, and the two McIntosh XLS112's was amazing. Once I got the Memento's physical positions in the room dialed in they literally disappeared when music was playing. The sound stage was wide and deep and the frequency range was full range in every respect.

By themselves the Sonus faber Guarneri Memento speakers are very good. In combination with an active crossover and a pair of good subwoofers their performance is elevated to full range on par with many of the finest floor standing loudspeakers. You have room to gain additional high-end performance from your Memento's should you desire.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 11-03-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Ron.......I am very happy for you. It is good you gave the Memento's the opportunity to present their very special qualities. Before I had my Guarneri Memento's I owned the Cremona Auditors. The Auditors are very good sounding speakers. Before they arrived I wondered if the Memento's would truly sound better than the Auditors. Once I had the Mementos here and set up it took me several days to fully appreciate the differences I was hearing. I discovered there was more air around voices and instruments, less congestion, with increased clarity across the musical spectrum. Surprisingly, the Memento's bass response was impressive from it's mid-bass driver despite the fact the Memento's begin to roll off fairly quick below about 46Hz. Once I got past the analytical nature of my comparison between the Auditor's and the Memento's and relaxed enough to begin to simply enjoy the music it became clear that the Guarneri Memento's are in a superior league.

What I soon discovered with the Memento's was an absence of deep bass and it's accompanying dynamic impact. I purchased the Bryston 10B Sub active crossover and used my two McIntosh XLS112 powered subwoofers with the Guarneri Memento's. That made a huge and very satisfying improvement in the full range performance. By using the active crossover, sending frequencies above 60Hz to the Mementos and frequencies below 60Hz to the two subwoofers, the Memento's lower and midrange frequencies improved. The GM's mid-bass driver was no longer having to struggle with trying to reproduce the lowest octave in a frequency range below it's roll off point. This improved the clarity and dynamics of the Memento's midrange noticeably, plus now I had deep, impactful bass from the XLS112 subwoofers that was absent in the Memento's by themselves. The combination of the Guarneri Memento's, the Bryston 10B Sub active crossover, and the two McIntosh XLS112's was amazing. Once I got the Memento's physical positions in the room dialed in they literally disappeared when music was playing. The sound stage was wide and deep and the frequency range was full range in every respect.

By themselves the Sonus faber Guarneri Memento speakers are very good. In combination with an active crossover and a pair of good subwoofers their performance is elevated to full range on par with many of the finest floor standing loudspeakers. You have room to gain additional high-end performance from your Memento's should you desire.
+1
I am using the crossover in the MX120 and could not agree more. Enjoy your speakers , get them set up properly. You can play down the road with subwoofers if you don't already have them .
Old 11-03-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post

Old 11-04-2013, 12:44 AM

Just a quick post to add a few pictures. A little busy at work here.

BTW, Toga also dropped off his Anaconda PC for me to try and from the dealer, Anaconda SCs. I'm going to play with these tonight a little.

Oh, and my rack, yes, it is due for an upgrade, direly needed, as you can see.

ron