AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 09-14-2017, 09:29 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
I like my set.

My tiny office I have them in is horrible for acoustics, but DSP helps out a lot.

I know, I know, solid state is not ideal. It's all I've got for now.
Oscar.......Your photos are too large to be viewed without scrolling left and right. Try resizing them to now larger than 1400 pixels wide before posting them so that we can enjoy the entire photo on the screen with having to scroll up, down, left, and right to only view part of the picture.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 09-15-2017, 11:39 AM

Photos fixed.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:36 PM

I have a pair of Legacy Signature IIIs that I have owned for ten years. I use them in my system at my office. I have mine bi-amped using McIntosh MEN220 feeding four McIntosh MC2255s - (1) left upper, (2) left lower, (3) right upper, and (4) right lower. Each of the MC2255s are in mono mode. This gives me 1,000 watts per channel. The Legacy speakers handle this quite well. I must admit that adding the MEN220 upstream of the four MC2255s cleaned up the midrange considerably. With three 10" woofers in each channel, there is no lack of bottom end.
In over 50 years of following audio (and being involved as a musician, on-site recording assistant, and orchestra conductor) I have listened to a lot of speaker systems, from Altec A-7s, as well as many "audiophile" type speakers, on down to AR, and a lot of others. I will not say the Legacy Signature IIIs are the best I have ever heard (that prize goes to to KLH Model Nines), but for the money they aquit themselves VERY well.
I would have little hesitation to recommend anything from Legacy.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie55 View Post
Just wondering why we don't see Legacy speakers come up for sale that often? Do the Legacy owners like them that much they are not willing to part with them? I do like mine, but I am always open to other brands, that upgrade virus seems to bite all the time
People who own them love them and only sell when they upgrade which is not too frequently. In my case I've owned MANY different models but held them all for years at a time....
Old 11-04-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier85 View Post
Agree with Oscar here.

I have my Focus SE hooked up to the Pb2 and Wavelet.

My living room is less than ideal but the wavelet somehow manages to make it sound magical still.
Great setup with the AERIS & Wavelet and Caliber & Wavelet; those monoblocks are also to die for in the sound quality department! As a long-time owner of the Legacy, and most recently the AERIS + Wavelet, I will say the ones in this photo should be toed in more to point the tweeters immediately behind the head at the listening position, same with Calibers. The AERIS could also be pulled out from the backwall another 1-2 feet to have more breathing room. It's true Wavelet basically takes the room out of the equation but starting with a better setup yields even better results.

For any Wavelet owner out there, 2 important upgrades I made that pole-vaulted overall performance was the use of a HDPlex bespoke power supply made to Legacy's specs. (HDPlex owner made 5 such linear-regulated supplies and knows the specs....) Another upgrade was the use of a custom XLR5:XLR5 umbilical from Revelation Audio (Cardas, Kimber, and one other also agreed they could build it), between Wavelet and the PSU. This combination plus what AERIS & Wavelet was so good, when I had to get out of active speaker setups due to complexity and a very strong WAF issue, it took the TAD R1s to better what the Legacy setup I had provided,...no b.s. I listened to many speakers $150k and under,...only the R1s had what it took to equal/better the AERIS-Wavelet-HDPlex-RevAudiolabs combo I had running. I parted with that setup to a good friend's home in Florida but not without alot of sadness....

Anyone contemplating anything from Legacy is making a damned smart move IMHO...
Old 12-30-2017, 03:32 AM

Been busy with work all semester long, but still thoroughly enjoying my Calibres! Here's my latests in-room FR plot with Parametric EQ via a dbx Driverack PA2 DSP unit:

38Hz F3 my a%^ !!! Frequency response: 23 - 20,000+ Hz. Yes, they sound stupid good.

CLICK HERE FOR FULL SIZE PIC
Old 12-30-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Been busy with work all semester long, but still thoroughly enjoying my Calibres! Here's my latests in-room FR plot with Parametric EQ via a dbx Driverack PA2 DSP unit:

38Hz F3 my a%^ !!! Frequency response: 23 - 20,000+ Hz. Yes, they sound stupid good.

CLICK HERE FOR FULL SIZE PIC
Outstanding in-room performance! Have you tried with the Legacy Wavelet as yet? That could also remove the last little bits of room interaction you may be experiencing,...

Mark (Long-time Legacy owner,....many models included AERIS + Wavelet)
Old 12-30-2017, 03:39 PM

No wavelet as of yet. Perhaps I might get one next summer.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:20 PM

It is worth the stretch!
Old 12-30-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcarlson View Post
I have a pair of Legacy Signature IIIs that I have owned for ten years. I use them in my system at my office. I have mine bi-amped using McIntosh MEN220 feeding four McIntosh MC2255s - (1) left upper, (2) left lower, (3) right upper, and (4) right lower. Each of the MC2255s are in mono mode. This gives me 1,000 watts per channel. The Legacy speakers handle this quite well. I must admit that adding the MEN220 upstream of the four MC2255s cleaned up the midrange considerably. With three 10" woofers in each channel, there is no lack of bottom end.

In over 50 years of following audio (and being involved as a musician, on-site recording assistant, and orchestra conductor) I have listened to a lot of speaker systems, from Altec A-7s, as well as many "audiophile" type speakers, on down to AR, and a lot of others. I will not say the Legacy Signature IIIs are the best I have ever heard (that prize goes to to KLH Model Nines), but for the money they aquit themselves VERY well.

I would have little hesitation to recommend anything from Legacy.

Ummm, that’s one helluva an office system ....