AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Linn

Linn Clean & Precise Music

Old 01-30-2018, 02:28 AM

Default Linn amps

Have anyone tried any of the Linn klimax amps? How do you like them?

I am considering moving to a Linn amp from my classe ca2300 but I haven't seen a lot of reviews and discussions around these amps.

Cheers!

Alan
Work Audeze LCD-XC, Audeze Deckard
Old 01-30-2018, 01:55 PM

I had a Klimax Twin for a couple of years, paired with my Klimax DSM and Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor Ms. The sound was detailed and smooth with good soundstage and imaging. It was also very good looking, had a nice auto-on feature, and never ran hot. I was quite happy with it until I changed speakers to the Amati Futuras. It still sounded great with the Amatis at moderate volume levels, but it started to run out of steam a bit at higher volume and the sound became a little congested and the bass got a bit sloppy. The Amatis are not the easiest of loads (the impedance dips down into the 2-3 ohm range in the upper bass-lower mid-range), and the Twin with it’s switch-mode power supply and 120 watts wasn’t a great match.

I don’t have any experience with the Classe, but it has a good reputation and I think is in the same price range as the Twin, so I’m not sure that would be an upgrade. A pair of Monos might be a different story. Your signature doesn’t show any equipment, what speakers and pre would you be using?
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 01-30-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
I had a Klimax Twin for a couple of years, paired with my Klimax DSM and Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor Ms. The sound was detailed and smooth with good soundstage and imaging. It was also very good looking, had a nice auto-on feature, and never ran hot. I was quite happy with it until I changed speakers to the Amati Futuras. It still sounded great with the Amatis at moderate volume levels, but it started to run out of steam a bit at higher volume and the sound became a little congested and the bass got a bit sloppy. The Amatis are not the easiest of loads (the impedance dips down into the 2-3 ohm range in the upper bass-lower mid-range), and the Twin with it’s switch-mode power supply and 120 watts wasn’t a great match.

I don’t have any experience with the Classe, but it has a good reputation and I think is in the same price range as the Twin, so I’m not sure that would be an upgrade. A pair of Monos might be a different story. Your signature doesn’t show any equipment, what speakers and pre would you be using?
I need to update my signature!

Right now the target system for this my Wilson audio Yvette. I have a classe sigma ssp as the dac and currently classe ca2300 as the amp.

Yeah I wonder if the single Linn klimax twin would be enough or just a lateral move on the amp side of things.

For the dac, I am looking at the Linn klimax but might hold off until I find a used one.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:45 PM

I just looked at the specs on the Yvette: with a 10” woofer, 86db sensitivity and impedance that dips to under 3 ohm, I don’t think the Twin would be a great match, or an upgrade from your Classe. Solos might be good, but I’d want to audition them first if possible.

Re the Klimax DAC, keep in mind it’s also a streamer. The DS is streamer/DAC only, the DSM has inputs to also serve as a preamp. I have the Klimax DSM with their Katalyst upgrade to the DAC - if you can swing it, that’s the way to go.

I see you’re in Kirkland, are you working with Definitive? The shop in Seattle actually took my Twin in trade a couple of months ago.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 01-30-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
I just looked at the specs on the Yvette: with a 10” woofer, 86db sensitivity and impedance that dips to under 3 ohm, I don’t think the Twin would be a great match, or an upgrade from your Classe. Solos might be good, but I’d want to audition them first if possible.

Re the Klimax DAC, keep in mind it’s also a streamer. The DS is streamer/DAC only, the DSM has inputs to also serve as a preamp. I have the Klimax DSM with their Katalyst upgrade to the DAC - if you can swing it, that’s the way to go.

I see you’re in Kirkland, are you working with Definitive? The shop in Seattle actually took my Twin in trade a couple of months ago.
Yes, I am working with Definitive. Thanks for the feedback, it sounds like maybe the Linn Amp may not be the way to go. I am still holding out for something like a D'Agostino Momentum but I want to see if there are any used original ones that pop up. Maybe that is wishful thinking.

I like the Linn Klimax DSM so I am seriously looking into that. I may consider the DS given that I usually stream but I think the Linn choice will be dependent on how good they integrate with Roon. I am also looking at maybe a used DCS Rossini...let's see what happens!
Old 01-30-2018, 08:45 PM

There was a Momentum stereo for sale here in the Marketplace only a couple of months ago, keep your eyes peeled. I’m thrilled with mine, and I suspect it would be a great match for your Yvettes.

Re the DSM, don’t hold your breath on Roon, they’re not Roon compatible and the jury’s still out on if that will happen. Linn and Roon have been in discussions, but it’s not on either’s priority list. Linn uses an open-source protocol for their streaming called OpenHome, and to be Roon compatible they have to integrate Roon’s proprietary RAAT protocol, and they have been somewhat reluctant to do that, or pay the licensing fees. Roon, on the other hand, doesn’t want to make their system open either. Also I suspect most Linnies, like me, aren’t that interested in Roon, so there isn’t much push for them to move on it.

Linn’s streaming DACs sound awesome, but if Roon is important to you out of the gate I’d look elsewhere.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:54 PM

I am willing to part with Roon as I don't have Tidal so JRiver would work for me fine.

What do you use with Linn? JRiver + NAS + Server?
Old 01-30-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akfaulkner View Post
I am willing to part with Roon as I don't have Tidal so JRiver would work for me fine.

What do you use with Linn? JRiver + NAS + Server?
I’m running Minimserver on a Synology NAS, with the Linn Kazoo control point on an iPad. No computer in the mix.