AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 08-30-2015, 09:49 AM

Default SSD for BDP-2

I have purchased a BDP-2. I would also use Samsung SSD (solid state drive) with the BDP-2. Are there any advantages in using an internal SSD (Samsung EVO) over an external SSD (Samsung T1)? Would the speed of loading be different? How about sound quality? Please help me choose. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osadu View Post
I have purchased a BDP-2. I would also use Samsung SSD (solid state drive) with the BDP-2. Are there any advantages in using an internal SSD (Samsung EVO) over an external SSD (Samsung T1)? Would the speed of loading be different? How about sound quality? Please help me choose. Thanks.
HI

Its an interesting question - the only advantage of the sata internal drive is it eliminates one USB conversion.

james
Old 08-31-2015, 01:02 AM

I don't think the data rate of any music file will come close to being impacted by any of today's storage solutions. The slowest usb drive is well more than fast enough.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:06 PM

The only thing that would be effected is how long it would take to update its database, sata interface being the fastest. Playback would be not be effected.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:12 PM

Are their USB or flash drives that are more musical than others? I know its a dumb question, but I am curious.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:15 AM

Which Samsung SSD model is suitable to fit inside the BDP-2?
Any recommendations?
Speakers: B&W 802 Diamond.Pre/amplifier: Mark Levinson No:326S/Classé CP-800mk2/ Classé CA-2300/14BSST2.TT: Michell Orbe/SME 309/Benz Micro Wood Digital: Bryston BDA-3/BDP-2 & Mac mini, SOtM-200 Ultra, Roon, Synology NAS. CD/SACD: Marantz 7007
Cables: Supra/Van den Hul/ Isotek, AQ. Others: Isotek Aquaries/Finite Elements/SMT Wings/Entreq
Old 01-27-2016, 01:29 PM

Default No Samsung crap in my Bryston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassej View Post
Which Samsung SSD model is suitable to fit inside the BDP-2?
Any recommendations?
I don't know why you want a Samsung SSD. I have been watching the development of SSD tech over the years and find that there are few good SSDs out there. Enterprise level SSDs are way expensive but the life span and durability of these SSDs is much better.

Keep in mind, with mechanical HDs, the drive is always spinning and it should work fine for 5 years or more even for a inexpensive one. When it comes to SSDs, every read and write effects its life. I used to leave music playing even when I was not around before I added an SSD.

That said, I got an OCZ Vertex 460

It may be more pricy but it is more durable. You can read up on the features that help keep the performance up over time and how long it will last. I should last an audiophile a long time without any issues.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_code View Post
I don't know why you want a Samsung SSD. I have been watching the development of SSD tech over the years and find that there are few good SSDs out there. Enterprise level SSDs are way expensive but the life span and durability of these SSDs is much better.

Keep in mind, with mechanical HDs, the drive is always spinning and it should work fine for 5 years or more even for a inexpensive one. When it comes to SSDs, every read and write effects its life. I used to leave music playing even when I was not around before I added an SSD.

That said, I got an OCZ Vertex 460

It may be more pricy but it is more durable. You can read up on the features that help keep the performance up over time and how long it will last. I should last an audiophile a long time without any issues.
No special reason more than the fact that Samsung is very often mentioned. So thank you the tips. Much better to choose a better one.

Edit: my local electronic shop had the OCZ in stock. To a good price. Just checked their web shop.

/Lasse
Speakers: B&W 802 Diamond.Pre/amplifier: Mark Levinson No:326S/Classé CP-800mk2/ Classé CA-2300/14BSST2.TT: Michell Orbe/SME 309/Benz Micro Wood Digital: Bryston BDA-3/BDP-2 & Mac mini, SOtM-200 Ultra, Roon, Synology NAS. CD/SACD: Marantz 7007
Cables: Supra/Van den Hul/ Isotek, AQ. Others: Isotek Aquaries/Finite Elements/SMT Wings/Entreq

Last edited by Lassej; 01-27-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:16 PM

The number of read/writes you'd have to make on an SSD to get it to wear out is phenomenal. I've used one for about 4 years now in a PC as the ONLY drive, and it's got plenty of provisional storage still available (reserved in case memory wears out, not a part of the specified memory capacity).

There's no premium on speed either for the BDP's. They'll never get close to using the speed/bandwidth an SSD can provide.

If you do some reading on computer forums, you'll find some good insight (just like reading audio forums).

I've had Crucial, OCZ, and Samsung. My only issue with any of them was OCZ, and that was only because OCZ had one of the most obnoxious systems for updating the drive firmware if the SSD was the boot drive in an operating system (which doesn't apply in this case anyway). I had no problems with any of them that ever caused data loss. Any minor problems were fixed with firmware patches.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grit View Post
The number of read/writes you'd have to make on an SSD to get it to wear out is phenomenal. I've used one for about 4 years now in a PC as the ONLY drive, and it's got plenty of provisional storage still available (reserved in case memory wears out, not a part of the specified memory capacity).

There's no premium on speed either for the BDP's. They'll never get close to using the speed/bandwidth an SSD can provide.

If you do some reading on computer forums, you'll find some good insight (just like reading audio forums).

I've had Crucial, OCZ, and Samsung. My only issue with any of them was OCZ, and that was only because OCZ had one of the most obnoxious systems for updating the drive firmware if the SSD was the boot drive in an operating system (which doesn't apply in this case anyway). I had no problems with any of them that ever caused data loss. Any minor problems were fixed with firmware patches.
I don't have one in my PC right now because I do use it all day everyday. I am not sure how much you use your computer or for what. My computer is a movie server/workstation and I work from home. It's on 24/7 and it gets a lot of use.

The SSD I tried to recommend from OCZ was their latest with some features that help keep up the performance vs other SSDs. I am not a fan of Samsung and I figure if I have a Bryston BDP and DAC then I want to make sure I have a good one in there. I put in a 480GB SSD and it isn't even half full.

One place where the SSD performance comes in is when you need to update the database. It takes less than 2 seconds or less to update 5000 songs. I know its not as big as some collections but it was much longer before. I didn't care to time how long it took.

Last edited by Bat Girl; 02-10-2016 at 09:52 AM.