AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 06-21-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK-Atl View Post
I've had my 1131 for several months now, and it is still amazing...I "upgraded" from the base Auditorium A23 SUT to the 1131 after one short night of listening along with my EMT TSD-15n cartridge, into my Aurieges MM. After consulting on the EMT with Bob, he made my 1131 version in the 10/20 setting. However, as others have stated, there are some great options(and I really like the A23 still) out there... Best, Jonathan K
Hi Jonathan -just curious do you use your 1131 in the high or the low setting?

If I'm reading Art Dudley's May 2012 column correctly, Art calculates the EMT is 1V out (vs. the published .2) and paired it with the Bob's 1131 1:40 with great success. That's 40V by my math. Somebody said SUTs were more art than science, but something seems off...curious what your take was.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:22 PM
Green Member

Some comments:

1. The EMT output is 1mV into a high impedance load (note the milli).
2. A 1:40 step up reflects a load of 47000/(40*40)=29.4 Ohm load
3. The internal impedance of the EMT is 24 Ohm
4. Since the internal impedance is close to the loading impedance, only about half the voltage of 1mV will be picked up by the step-up.
5. So the total voltage into the MM of a phono stage should be about 20mV at most.

Usually one would run the EMT with a 1:10 step-up resulting in an output of 10mV. The 1:40 presents only a 6dB voltage gain over the 1:10. A bit high but most likely doable into a lower gain MM input.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by restock
Some comments:

1. The EMT output is 1mV into a high impedance load (note the milli).
2. A 1:40 step up reflects a load of 47000/(40*40)=29.4 Ohm load
3. The internal impedance of the EMT is 24 Ohm
4. Since the internal impedance is close to the loading impedance, only about half the voltage of 1mV will be picked up by the step-up.
5. So the total voltage into the MM of a phono stage should be about 20mV at most.

Usually one would run the EMT with a 1:10 step-up resulting in an output of 10mV. The 1:40 presents only a 6dB voltage gain over the 1:10. A bit high but most likely doable into a lower gain MM input.
Oops, yep, I forgot about the voltage divider impact (which should make for even a worse match -why would you want to cut the signal in half?), 20mV is still double what most recommend. I wrote Bob to get his thoughts and he was surprised it worked as well, noting that Shindo "appears to be overload proof".

Last edited by Old Grey; 06-22-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:01 PM

One more note -nothing you probably haven't already heard before, but for you guys with an EMT TSD-15n, I had a chance to hear it with the Hommage T2. It's silly good. It totally transformed the relatively inexpensive (non-Shindo) system I was listening to.
I also found it interesting that my Royal N SPU with the Hommage T1 couldn't hold a candle to it. Something to be said for synergy (and perhaps how good the TSD is!).

Yes, $5k seems like a lot to spend on a SUT, but I simply couldn't believe my ears. I'm going to keep my Royal N (sans SUT) and save my pennies for while, but I thought my next upgrade was simply to be moving up the Shindo pre-amp chain, now I'm not so sure...
Old 06-22-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grey View Post
One more note -nothing you probably haven't already heard before, but for you guys with an EMT TSD-15n, I had a chance to hear it with the Hommage T2. It's silly good. It totally transformed the relatively inexpensive (non-Shindo) system I was listening to.
I also found it interesting that my Royal N SPU with the Hommage T1 couldn't hold a candle to it. Something to be said for synergy (and perhaps how good the TSD is!).

Yes, $5k seems like a lot to spend on a SUT, but I simply couldn't believe my ears. I'm going to keep my Royal N (sans SUT) and save my pennies for while, but I thought my next upgrade was simply to be moving up the Shindo pre-amp chain, now I'm not so sure...
Yep - The Hommage is the way to go - even though I wince ever time I see the price. I had a demo in my system and really enjoyed it. In the end I could not justify the price given some of the alternatives that I tried. May eventually get one yet. Most of the folks I know with a Shindo preamp use a 3rd party SUT.
Speakers: Tonian classic 12 (PHY driver) and Hawthorn Audio Trios (Open Baffle). Analog Source: Nottingham Ana-log, Garrard 301. Tonearms: SME 312S, SME M2-12R, Nottingham Unipivot. Cartridge: Koetsu Onyx, Lyra Helikon Mono, Ortofon SPU Classic. Digital Source: Eastern Electric Dac +. Electronics: Shindo Vosne Romane Preamp, 45,2A3,300B,F2a,GM70 SET amps, Atma-sphere S30 OTL, Dynaco ST-70, Shindo Haut-Brion
Old 06-23-2012, 03:26 AM

Hi...

you can't go wrong with either the T1 Hommage for SPU or the T2 for EMT cartridges...I have the T1 of Auditorium myself and think that this is one of the best step up transformers on the market. I owned many different and the T1 is the only one that is still left. Within the one I owned there have been illustrious transformers like the Kondo SFz, which is overall on the same level as the A23 T1, but the T1 just did it for me, since it appeals a little more to the music lover, than the hifi freak.

Best regards

Ron
Old 06-24-2012, 11:23 AM

OH YES IT'S TRUE