AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Streaming & Television Shows

Streaming & Television Shows Netflix, Amazon, Cable & Network Series

Old 02-18-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
For those of you who have decided to move from DirecTv or Comcast to other sources to get your TV fix how are you doing at replacing sports programming. I am into college football, college basketball and pro hockey. To insure I get the games I want I need to get ABC, all the various ESPN's, Fox Sports, FS1, NBCSN, Big Ten Network and Fox Sports Detroit. Without a outdoor antenna I (which I would never put on my house) I can't pick up the local HD TV stations. How do others cover their sports fix?
Hulu. https://www.hulu.com/live-sports
Old 02-19-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Don't forget to add in the cost of your high-speed internet.

Very true. However I already had that anyway. I did need to bump up the capacity for streaming which added $10 to the monthly.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:41 AM

I am considering cutting the XFinity cord as well. I will keep them for data but the TV package will probably go.

I'm making my list of shows/networks I must have to determine what it will cost me to stream those through a Roku vs. as part of a tiered bundle from Comcast.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:53 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

In the same camp and working on making a change; you can buy an inexpensive Hi Definition low profile antenna to receive local stations and keep only high speed internet for streaming, and with a internet only subscription I already run my own separate router and modem aside from a wireless Mesh network saving there as well.

I believe it would equate to somewhere around $60-70 per month savings.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Serge
Thanks for the heads-up. We subscribe to Hulu but only have watched two series on it. It looks that by going with one of their packages I can get everything I need except possibly PBS. I just upgraded all my DirectV gear last year so when that commitment expires I will look at what options are available. By that time Apple will have come out with their latest offering too.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:32 PM
Racing Hoopties

The future of streaming TV as a means to save money is anything but clear. I have read a few reports foretelling a future of each content owner developing their own streaming service. Think Each major network, Disney, HBO, etc each forcing the consumer to have ‘their’ subscription. How many will we need with this niche programming? Who knows but it will take work to figure it all out so you get ‘that’ show or team.

Then, don’t count out the ISPs from trying to get their fair share of the pie as it is their ‘networks’ we are using. The end of net neutrality could further confuse our choices.

I spend $85 a month on 1GIG Internet. I don’t consider that too bad. But in order to be able to watch my Baseball team in SC, I need Direct TV in some format. Unless of course, the YES network develops their own service and holds their content on only their network. For me, that would seem to be a good option. Unless of course, I also need 15 other services, all at $15 a month...

They have us by the ‘you know what’. I see a world where the only way to manage our TV costs is to not watch TV.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 02-19-2019, 02:27 PM

And that's not going to happen, is it my friend?
Old 02-19-2019, 02:45 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGlacken View Post
And that's not going to happen, is it my friend?

Nope.

The other element here for ISPs is competition from the Wireless carriers once they move their networks to 5G. I don’t know what speeds and bandwidth they will have but it is apparently faster than most of us have in our homes already.

Hopefully competition in some form with moderate all the corporate shareholders greed.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 02-19-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
They have us by the ‘you know what’. I see a world where the only way to manage our TV costs is to not watch TV.
I'm sure I'm in a very small crowd, but outside of some YouTube videos I don't watch TV. I don't pay for any video subscription services, don't watch any series, and don't follow any sports. I'm even thinking about getting rid of Amazon Prime since the only benefit I get from having it is fast/free shipping; I don't watch any content or listen to any music on it. I've even found that I have a hard time socializing with people whose only interests seem to be TV shows or sports. Think of all the things you can do with the extra money saved from cutting the subscription...

Headphone rig: Gustard X16, Topping A90, Hifiman HE6se, Audeze LCD2
2-Channel setup: Okto Research DAC8 Stereo, Bryston 4B³, Philharmonic Audio BMR Towers, Dual PSA S152 subs
Old 02-19-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVass13 View Post
I've even found that I have a hard time socializing with people whose only interests seem to be TV shows or sports.
You can't think that socializing with "audiophiles" is any more enlightening?