AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music > Classical Music Discussion

Classical Music Discussion Across the Ages

Old 06-26-2012, 09:36 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
Lastly is Leonard Bernstein. I don't have this on LP, but have it on CD (Sony) as a part of a box set. But it is out there on LP and I know it is a performance worth hearing. The Bernstein Mahler cycle mentioned somewhere above is definitely one to consider owning. The Columbia performance with the New York Philharmonic is the one to have, yet again here its Columbia vinyl so caveat auditor. An intense, personal performance - one of the greats. M2L-295 (mono) M2S 695 (stereo)

I don't know where this cover is release-wise, but it's colorful, almost Dali-esque.
I have this Bernstein 2nd on LP and think it's good . . . but I do like others better - particularly the Ivan Fischer/Budapest SACD on Channel Classics. I could listen to it three times a day.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 06-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Vinyl, Baby!

I actually just ordered the Speakers Corner reissue of the Decca Solti/CSO from MusicDirect. I needed some AIVS fluid anyway, I added to my order.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post
I actually just ordered the Speakers Corner reissue of the Decca Solti/CSO from MusicDirect. I needed some AIVS fluid anyway, I added to my order.
If you care to post back, it would be interesting to learn your thoughts on the Solti v the Kubelik from your box set.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:07 PM

My favorites are the 5th, 6th, and 9th. I'd say Karajan, Solti, or Sinopoli (for any/all of them) on RBCD. On SACD, Stenz for the 5th, Zander for the 6th, and either Chailly or Gilbert for the 9th.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:20 AM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
If you care to post back, it would be interesting to learn your thoughts on the Solti v the Kubelik from your box set.
OK. It should arrive today, but I doubt I'll have a chance to listen to it before this weekend.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Yikes - Mahler's 9th: Abbado on DG w/ the Chicago is impossible to find! If anyone has a copy could you please post a DG catalog number. TIA
OUCH!! Big time brain fart.

I meant to say Abbado/VPO. Sorry for the turmoil.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:22 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
... I meant to say Abbado/VPO.
No problemo - thanks for the update!

For vinylists, 2-LP-Box DG 423564-1

edit: Btw, Kal, aside from the 9th, which of the other Accentus BRD Abbado/Mahler/Lucerne performances do you favor? I canna play these now on my main system but should be able to in the future.

Last edited by tima; 06-27-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Btw, Kal, aside from the 9th, which of the other Accentus BRD Abbado/Mahler/Lucerne performances do you favor? I canna play these now on my main system but should be able to in the future.
All*. The entire series is eminently satisfying and I do not think there is disappointment among them. That is not to say that I could live without many other interpretations but the Abbado/Lucerne series joins other great Mahler series'.

*If you don't get them all right away, start with #6.

Kal
Old 06-28-2012, 08:30 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Thanks Kal. I'm eying the EuroArts set that covers 1-7 along with the 9th from Accentus.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:51 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Not much talk in this thread about the Mahler 3rd Symphony, and, as it is my second most favorite of Mahler's works (after the wonderful 2nd Symphony) and, as I was listening to it this morning, I thought I'd duplicate some effort and say something about it here. I think that the first movement of the 3rd symphony is truly a work of great art and it is presented extremely well by the SFO in this SACD recording, The voices here are excellent as is the orchestra itself.

I am copying my own post from this morning in the "What Classical Music Are You Listening To" thread.

I love Mahler's Third Symphony! And, I heartily recommend the MTT/SFO SACD for the impeccable performance and extraordinary sonics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
A large scale bit of musical excitement for the 4th

Listening to . . . Gustav Mahler - Symphony No. 3 SACD

San Francisco Symphony Orchestra - Michael Tilson Thomas, Conductor

Winner of the 2004 Grammy for Best Classical Album!

I bought this because I wanted to own the complete set of MTT/SFO Mahler recordings - but I think other readings of the 3rd come across with more spirit and character. This one seem to truncate some of the excitement. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this recording - I just love others more! And, I am a great fan of Mahler's 3rd.

I've had the LP box set of the Haitink/Concertgebouw recording of Mahler's 3rd, I suppose, since it first came out in the 60's - and I think I prefer that one above all others - if only for the superb singing of Maureen Forrester.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .