AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 01-20-2018, 05:39 PM

Default I Own Olympica III's - Which Models Above Those Can Work Well In A Smaller Room?

As the title says, I am the current owner of a one year old pair of Olympica III's. I absolutely love these speakers, and they play beautifully in my room. Of course, you always wonder if even more Sonus Faber magic could be available?

If I were to move to upgraded Sonus Faber speakers, I would certainly purchase them used, with an absolute maximum budget of, say, $18k. The following floor standing speakers can, at various times, be found between, 12k-18k, on a very good deal, used:

Elipsa SE
Amati Anniversario
Amati Futura
Stradavari Homage

Would any of these be capable of working well in my relatively small room? The room is 13x15x8. The Olympica III's were professionally set up so that they are 9 feet from the listening position, just over six feet apart, 3.5 feet from the sidewalls and two feet out from the back wall.

I suspect the Elipsa SE's are eliminated immediately based on what a Sonus Faber dealer told me about them simply not working in a small room.

Thanks for any expertise and assistance on this, it's greatly appreciated. It might well end up that nothing larger than the Olympica III's will perform optimally in my room, but it's important that I know, one way or the other.

John
Old 01-20-2018, 05:47 PM

I had the strads in a slightly bigger room, they did not work as well as the O3.

Bass of the O3 is my biggest drawback, it is not articulate enough... I would think the Futura would be fantastic.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:58 PM

Although a few feet longer, my room is the same width as yours and my Futuras are on the long wall. They work splendidly.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 01-20-2018, 05:58 PM

I've set up a couple of pairs of O3's for friends. They are hard to get dialed in, but they sound great when they're positioned correctly.

They are mini Amati Futura's. If you like the O3's, you'll love the Futuras. I sit 10' from mine. They can be had for your budget.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 01-20-2018, 06:43 PM

What about the Serafino? It's the same size as the O3.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:26 PM

I have owned the Q3 and now enjoy the Futura. I would recommend the Guarneri Memento, or maybe the new Guarneri Tradition. You will get all the magic of the SF, but with out the possible bass problems that I think will occur with regards to the size of your room if you'd choose the Futura.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue View Post
I have owned the Q3 and now enjoy the Futura. I would recommend the Guarneri Memento, or maybe the new Guarneri Tradition. You will get all the magic of the SF, but with out the possible bass problems that I think will occur with regards to the size of your room if you'd choose the Futura.
Bass problems were my concern with a larger Sonus Faber. It has also been suggested to me that I simply add two "music oriented" subwoofers to the Olympica III's. Wouldn't you also need subwoofers if one went with the Guarneri's?

John
Old 01-21-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Bass problems were my concern with a larger Sonus Faber. It has also been suggested to me that I simply add two "music oriented" subwoofers to the Olympica III's. Wouldn't you also need subwoofers if one went with the Guarneri's? John
The Guarneri's are a great suggestion if they are stand alone. Adding subwoofers to great speakers is pretty hard to get right, comments from sub manufacturers to the contrary!

Do you find the O3 bass lacking? Or is it too much?

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 01-22-2018, 12:50 AM

In a room slightly larger than yours (13x18x8.5) i've used Elipsa, Elipsa SE, Amati Futura, and Guarneri's. All of them worked well.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
The Guarneri's are a great suggestion if they are stand alone. Adding subwoofers to great speakers is pretty hard to get right, comments from sub manufacturers to the contrary!

Do you find the O3 bass lacking? Or is it too much?

Tom
Bass is honestly very good given the size of the drivers. A Sonus Faber expert, and noted audio reviewer that I spoke to told me that adding a pair of subs to his home system, utilizing the Olympica III's, took things to another level entirely.

John