AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 01-03-2013, 05:27 PM

When the system is balanced, we do not even
THINK about the quality of the recording. We do not ask ourselves any question.

I am very lucky because both my Shindo system and my Manley one fits into this category.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:57 PM

FranklinLG,

As you know, I had the GM-70's now the 300B Limited (on loan--Long story). I have the Giscours with the Western Electric 349A version tubes. My advice is to spend the extra $10,000 and move up from the VR to the Giscours. The soundstage is so huge you may need to move out of your house. The refinement of the piano, stringed instruments, and vocals makes it all worth while.....in my opinion.

Labpro
Old 01-03-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labpro View Post
FranklinLG,

As you know, I had the GM-70's now the 300B Limited (on loan--Long story). I have the Giscours with the Western Electric 349A version tubes. My advice is to spend the extra $10,000 and move up from the VR to the Giscours. The soundstage is so huge you may need to move out of your house. The refinement of the piano, stringed instruments, and vocals makes it all worth while.....in my opinion.

Labpro
How do you compare the gm70's to the we300b limiteds?

And sounds like there are a lot of giscours owners here!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinLG View Post
Jérôme,

I need to note my view is very subjective. But I have found that some of the records that I have that are not well done are obviously so now. The added detail reveals more clearly the areas in the record that are lacking. The reference to Adele's vinyl is spot on. So I would rather listen to her blu-ray performance and just enjoy. Also, some of my older and sadly more worn records are not as sweet sounding, as there is just more clarity coming through and those age and usage issues are more pronounced.

That said, we're only talking about 10-15% of my collection that fails to make the grade. Average or well produced vinyl certainly sounds swell. And I am enjoying that a great deal more. Van Morrison's Poetic Champions is a regular heavy rotation. Its an album that I've probably played as much (or close to) as Sinatra's Wee Small Hours - and both are right up there in my top 10 listening sessions. Listening to it through my system has always been a pleasure. But it tends to shine even more so and I hear new detail not previously culled from my prior pre-amps. So here's an average mastering and pressing from the mid-1980's, and I love it. it is better now than I have ever heard it.

On the other hand, my Wee Small Hours has some wear issues. The disc came in "NM", but was really more of a VG+ to excellent for its surface. And then i discovered some significant groove wear on the first side on the last 2 tracks. Unfortunately, both issues are more clearly noticeable and detract from the experience. And while I could tolerate it before, as there are so few original grey labels out there to be found of this amazing album, the added noise and distortion is too much for my Koetsu to compensate for to allow me to enjoy this album. Here's to hoping MoFi includes it in its reissues.

So what's my point - I don't know. But I'll try to recap. I like the Giscours a lot. It is taking me more closely to the performance than anything else I've had in the Pre-Amp spot. My take is it does this, in part, by the way it reproduces so much more detail that was somehow not coming through with my prior pre-amps. This is a blessing and a curse. Great masterings are amazing. Average ones are wonderful. Poor ones just stink.... Put another way, there's no way to make supermarket Welch's grape juice into fine wine! The damage is already done.

Cheers!
FranklinLG-

Happy New Year !

Another great, and well written chapter in your Giscours saga-

Thank you for giving us such a comprehensive description-

Guess you're just going to have to crush those 'sour grapes' of yours, & get some more 'fine wine'-

David
Old 01-03-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
FranklinLG,

Labpro
Labpro-

Happy New Year !

Have you heard the current Giscours, or other upper end Shindo preamps, to compare to your version ? If so could you please elucidate your thoughts ?

Great description, btw-

David
Old 01-03-2013, 11:48 PM

LabPro,
Thanks. I agree with you on your assessment of the Giscours. It really does expand everything and add refinement as you note. Couple it with the GM-70s and the experience is pretty special!

That said, talk to us all about your 300B experience and your thoughts on those and the GM-70s! Inquiring minds want to know.
Freestone,
I concur, there are many (happy) Giscours owners here. Perhaps we could get our own forum....
Old 01-06-2013, 01:08 AM

I would say the 300B limited isn't necessarily better that the GM-70's, just different. You lose the bottem end "slam" on the 300B (vs the GM-70's), but the overall presentation is "lush" and draws you into the music like I've never experienced.

I am about to demo (in a couple weeks) the new Shindo D’ Yquem 300B. I don't know what tubes they will use, but I'm excited to finally get to hear these.

As for the Giscours, I never heard the more recent version (Siemans tubes I believe vs. Western Electric 349A) but would like to know what you think?

Once I demo the D’ Yquem I'll get back to you.

Labpro
Old 01-06-2013, 01:10 AM

I have the 349a giscours as well...
Old 01-06-2013, 01:12 AM

Freestone,

Where do we get additonal WE 349A's. I know Shindo has backstock, but I'd realy like the security of haing a match pair on hand.

Labpro
Old 01-06-2013, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Freestone,

Where do we get additonal WE 349A's. I know Shindo has backstock, but I'd realy like the security of haing a match pair on hand.

Labpro
They are pricey. But a Shindo dealer if something ever goes wrong. There are tube dealers out there though.

I am not that worried.