AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 07-04-2017, 04:03 PM

Default Using Smartractor with VPI

I have a JMW 12 3D Reference tone arm that came with my Avenger Ref TT. In looking at the videos online and researching, it seems important (critical?) that you properly identify the pivot point, but the VPI has no markings/hole to indicate this. Instead, there is a little bump over the pivot point and I am not sure I would be able to use this protractor with a VPI tone arm. I am obviously missing something and would appreciate a little guidance from the vinyl experts on the forum.
Thanks in advance for the time and consideration.
Speakers: Salon2 with F113v2 x 2
Analog: VPI Avenger Reference with Ortofon A95 and Esoteric E03 phonostage
Digital: Silenzio and Esoteric K03-x and G02
Power Management: PS Audio P10 x 2, P5
Cables: WW PE7 SC & IC, Furutech Flux-50 Filters
Rack: HRS SXR Signature
Old 07-04-2017, 04:43 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtroo View Post
I have a JMW 12 3D Reference tone arm that came with my Avenger Ref TT. In looking at the videos online and researching, it seems important (critical?) that you properly identify the pivot point, but the VPI has no markings/hole to indicate this. Instead, there is a little bump over the pivot point and I am not sure I would be able to use this protractor with a VPI tone arm. I am obviously missing something and would appreciate a little guidance from the vinyl experts on the forum.
Thanks in advance for the time and consideration.
If that little bump is the pivot point then yes you should be able to use the SmartTractor. You'd place the protractor's pointed locator in the center of the bump.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
If that little bump is the pivot point then yes you should be able to use the SmartTractor. You'd place the protractor's pointed locator in the center of the bump.
Ok. It does not look like they make the Uni Tractor anymore. Have you used the newer Smartractor? Also, do you just simply eyeball it to level get the tonearm level? Or is there a trick to employ?

I initially paid to have the TT set up, but give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Show him to fish, feed him for life. I need to do this stuff on my own. I have purchased a Fozgometer and the AP test record. I am thinking of acquiring the Smartractor as well. I have an Ortofon DS3 scale, I just purchased the Clearaudio bubble level. Any other accessories you may recommend? I have read numerous posts by you in various vinyl threads, and I do appreciate your input.
Thanks again.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:38 AM

You might consider a $20 investment in "21st Century Vinyl: Michael Fremer's Practical Guide to Turntable Set-Up"

https://www.amazon.com/21st-Century-...ael+fremer+dvd

I assume you do not wish to use the alignment jig that came with the VPI?
Old 07-05-2017, 06:20 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Ok. It does not look like they make the Uni Tractor anymore. Have you used the newer Smartractor? Also, do you just simply eyeball it to level get the tonearm level? Or is there a trick to employ?

I initially paid to have the TT set up, but give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Show him to fish, feed him for life. I need to do this stuff on my own. I have purchased a Fozgometer and the AP test record. I am thinking of acquiring the Smartractor as well. I have an Ortofon DS3 scale, I just purchased the Clearaudio bubble level. Any other accessories you may recommend? I have read numerous posts by you in various vinyl threads, and I do appreciate your input.
Thanks again.
Hi Tim - I agree 100% about learning how to align a cartridge and adjust your tone arm yourself. Like any skill, it takes practice and will pay big dividends in personal satisfaction. You might consider getting an inexpensive cartridgle like a DL103R to learn, practice and become comfortable enough to gain the confidence to work with more expensive carts.

The UNI-Protractor is now part of acoustic-systems PAS - Professional Alignment Set. You can see it at that link.

Based on my use of the UNI-Protractor I believe the SmartTractor is probably the next best alignment tool available. I say 'probably' only because I have not used one but it uses the same technique and design as the UNI. There are other protractors out there, I've tried many and easily settled on acoustic-systems.

The DS3 scale is the same one I use. I've tried at least five other scales and I like it the best.

See if the AA link still works. Some of this info is repeated there.

I also will suggest one or two strong lights and one or two magnifying loupes of different powers.

I use the Wally VTA device to get a tonearm-cartridge combination level. I'm not sure if the tool is available but its the best one I've found for this purpose, doesn't require eyeballing and is simple to use. Il suggest calling Wally himself in Minnesota to inquire - he responds best with voice contact.
Try here: http://veteranhifi.se/WVC/index_wally.html for the tool and a contact link.

That's kinda off the top of my head. Let me know if you have other questions. I think you're off to a fine start!
Old 07-05-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplexico View Post
You might consider a $20 investment in "21st Century Vinyl: Michael Fremer's Practical Guide to Turntable Set-Up"

I assume you do not wish to use the alignment jig that came with the VPI?
I just purchased the DVD. Thanks. I have the sense that the jig that comes with the table is not terribly precise. I think it will allow one to get in the ballpark, but even watching the videos, there is room for all sorts of parallax errors. I was hoping to minimize these sorts of errors.

Quote:
Hi Tim - I agree 100% about learning how to align a cartridge and adjust your tone arm yourself. Like any skill, it takes practice and will pay big dividends in personal satisfaction. You might consider getting an inexpensive cartridgle like a DL103R to learn, practice and become comfortable enough to gain the confidence to work with more expensive carts.

The UNI-Protractor is now part of acoustic-systems PAS - Professional Alignment Set. You can see it at that link.

Based on my use of the UNI-Protractor I believe the SmartTractor is probably the next best alignment tool available. I say 'probably' only because I have not used one but it uses the same technique and design as the UNI. There are other protractors out there, I've tried many and easily settled on acoustic-systems.
I wonder what the P.A.S. costs? I cannot find a price but I will contact Rutherford audio today and inquire.

Quote:
The DS3 scale is the same one I use. I've tried at least five other scales and I like it the best.

See if the AA link still works. Some of this info is repeated there.

I also will suggest one or two strong lights and one or two magnifying loupes of different powers.
I have a table top mounted light that should work. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote:
I use the Wally VTA device to get a tonearm-cartridge combination level. I'm not sure if the tool is available but its the best one I've found for this purpose, doesn't require eyeballing and is simple to use. Il suggest calling Wally himself in Minnesota to inquire - he responds best with voice contact.
Try here: http://veteranhifi.se/WVC/index_wally.html for the tool and a contact link.
I will try to track him down today

Quote:
That's kinda off the top of my head. Let me know if you have other questions. I think you're off to a fine start!
Your thoughts on aftermarket headshells?
Old 07-05-2017, 04:33 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
I just purchased the DVD. Thanks. I have the sense that the jig that comes with the table is not terribly precise. I think it will allow one to get in the ballpark, but even watching the videos, there is room for all sorts of parallax errors. I was hoping to minimize these sorts of errors

I wonder what the P.A.S. costs? I cannot find a price but I will contact Rutherford audio today and inquire.

I have a table top mounted light that should work. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will try to track him down today

Your thoughts on aftermarket headshells?
The UNI-Pro was ~$795 several years ago when it first came out. Let us know the PAS price if you learn it.

Let me know about your interactions with Wally and Rutherford (off-line is okay if you prefer.). Dietrich B used to sell direct and that's how I've dealt with him; have not used Rutherford.

I have no informative thoughts on aftermarket head shells. I'm aware of the Archon, again from acoustic systems, but have not used it, nor could I as my arms are one- piece. For what arm is the head shell?

Last edited by tima; 07-06-2017 at 01:57 AM. Reason: correct UNI-Pro price circa 2011
Old 07-05-2017, 05:08 PM

I called Rutherford today and had sent an email yesterday. When I spoke with the owner, he was very upfront and willing to explain things. The PAS is around $2000. They do not stock them, but they are in the $2k ballpark. He could not have been any nicer. The email was answered by another person at Rutherford in a very prompt fashion.

I have a single piece tonearm (JMW 12 3D R) so the headshell is a no go.

I have not yet spoken to Wally. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:08 PM

Yes, you are correct in that the VPI alignment jig may not have the level of precision you seek.

An alternative might be to try Conrad Hoffman's alignment template generator.

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntabl...ic.php?t=16849
Old 07-05-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplexico View Post
Yes, you are correct in that the VPI alignment jig may not have the level of precision you seek.

An alternative might be to try Conrad Hoffman's alignment template generator.

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntabl...ic.php?t=16849
Thanks for the link. Interesting read so far.