AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Subwoofers

Subwoofers 80hz and Down under!

Old 09-14-2016, 08:05 PM

Default Two subs

I currently have a two channel system with floorstanders running full range and a REL sub for bass reinforcement that I use mainly for music with the occasional movie. I was pretty surprised at what the REL did for soundstaging and tonal balance, and I keep hearing that two subs are better than one and i love symmetry so i am probably going to buy a second REL. I know everything is room and system dependent and I will need to carefully integrate the second sub , but could those of you who have gone the multiple subs route tell me if you generally reduce the volume on both subs versus a single sub (which seems pretty logical) and if so by how much? Just a little? By half since there are two subs now? Just curious what to expect when I start the setup. Thanks as always.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:22 PM
Go Dawgs

Two subs are better than one in just about all situations. It's easier to get a smoother bass response and even out peaks and valleys with stereo subwoofers. The bass response in my room improved tremendously across the board when I added the second REL to the system. As far as volume goes, yes, the volume is lower with dual subs.......obviously the output is increased since there's two instead of one, but the subs also don't have to work as hard since they complement each other. Don't remember to what extent I was able to lower the volume, but it was quite substantial.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 09-15-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Two subs are better than one in just about all situations. It's easier to get a smoother bass response and even out peaks and valleys with stereo subwoofers. The bass response in my room improved tremendously across the board when I added the second REL to the system. As far as volume goes, yes, the volume is lower with dual subs.......obviously the output is increased since there's two instead of one, but the subs also don't have to work as hard since they complement each other. Don't remember to what extent I was able to lower the volume, but it was quite substantial.

- Buck
Agree with all above. Two REL's was better than 1 + 1 REL (meaning, in this case, the whole exceeds the sum of parts).

You may find that the subs do not have be perfectly symmetrical in your space. It may require some experimentation, or modeling/measuring, but a sub crawl and some listening should work well. A good test CD can help (I used the Sound Doctor test CD, about $20 on line)
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:21 PM

Thanks for the replies. Peterson - Do you recall about how much you reduced the volume on each sub compared to just the single sub. Common sense says cut in half but something tells me that might not be true.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:31 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venere View Post
Thanks for the replies. Peterson - Do you recall about how much you reduced the volume on each sub compared to just the single sub. Common sense says cut in half but something tells me that might not be true.
I'm not Peterson .....but I don't believe that it was nearly as much as half, but I'd say about 25 to 30% if I had to put a number on it. Remember everyone's room will be a bit different. Just curious, why is the volume on your subwoofers that important? Is there a bass output volume problem in your room?

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 09-15-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I'm not Peterson .....but I don't believe that it was nearly as much as half, but I'd say about 25 to 30% if I had to put a number on it. Remember everyone's room will be a bit different. Just curious, why is the volume on your subwoofers that important? Is there a bass output volume problem in your room? - Buck
Thanks. Thats about what i expected. I dont think i have a problem per se, and i think i have it inetrgated with the mains pretty well, but if i turn the sub volume up too far then the bass overwhelms the sound from the mains and the tonal balance gets too dark/warm. I currently have the volume at roughly one-third of max setting, so your suggestion sound about right. Lower it to say one-fourth of max or maybe a hair lower and then fine tune by ear. My system is mainly for music and i'd rather have a bit too little bass than too much. Reason for adding the second sub isnt for more volume but for smoother balance and better soundstage. I was amazed at what the first sub did for sounstage "realism" for lack of a better word. The room just came alive. Hoping the second sub just improves on that aspect.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:12 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venere View Post
The room just came alive. Hoping the second sub just improves on that aspect.
It will do that and more. The room becomes "loaded" and really sounds more lifelike with the impactful bass. You probably won't go back to one sub.

- Buck
Old 09-15-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
It will do that and more. The room becomes "loaded" and really sounds more lifelike with the impactful bass. You probably won't go back to one sub. - Buck
Thanks for the advice Buck. I pick it up Saturday. Looking forward to hearing the changes.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:39 PM
Go Dawgs

One thing to keep in mind, especially with stereo subwoofers is placement. Usually, the closer they are to your left and right speakers, the more integrated the bass is with your mains. Your goal is to get a seamless blend between your mains and the subs, you don't want attention being drawn to the 2 boxes on the floor. I have mine placed as close to my mains as possible, both of them are about an inch to the left and right respectively and about 6 inches back from the front baffle of each main tower. Experimentation is necessary of course, but your options are much greater with dual subs since you don't have to worry about output like you may with a single sub.

- Buck
Old 09-15-2016, 07:50 PM

I think Dan's studio rig and many others are as Buck says near the mains for placement yes . However in one of Ivan's rooms and in mine my mains are on the front wall about 28" out and my subs are at my sides, but my room setup and acoustics made my placement better at side locations.

Also note I have my listening chair 12 feet from the mains, they are about 14 feet apart from each other, and I still have a good 15 feet of air/room behind my sitting position. If they were against a wall or the rear wall etc the standing waves would be killer.

Anyway then you have traps,tubes etc. but again I think for most applications Buck is spot on.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado