AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Audio Racks & Furniture

Audio Racks & Furniture Attractive and Functional Display for Gear

Old 10-22-2013, 10:52 PM

Default Advise for Finishing Raw Pine

Hey guys I need some advise...

What is the best way to finish a raw pine table for indoor use with an audio rack. I was going to pick up some strain but really had no idea what type to stain and finish go with.

The had gel stain,stain/polish, water-based, etc and wipe of poly, water based oil modified, polycrylic, etc. Thinking about doing a 400 grit sand before staining...

Do I want to use water or oil based stain, and what type of protection?

What product types would get me closest to something like this? I was thinking a water-based stain called Rosewood, and maybe the rub-on poly?

What do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (89.6 KB, 32 views)
Old 10-22-2013, 10:57 PM

No stain is going to make pine look like rosewood, especially anything like the bookmarked veneers in the speaker cabinet you showed.

The grain pattern just isn't there.

Sand it with the 400 grit, then you need to use a sealer on pine so the stain gets evenly absorbed. Sand it again. Then I would start out with a medium stain or a dark one thinned and well diluted with colorless stain and then apply more if you want it darker. Once you have the degree of intensity you want, use a few layers of clear polyurethane with sanding with 400 grit paper between coats.

Test it on something other than your actual piece. Scraps or waste from cuttings made from your final piece is good.

On a floor I would say use an oil based stain for durability, but on a cabinet you could use oil or water based stain.

Last edited by GaryProtein; 10-23-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:19 AM

I have had the best results by using a sealer first. Then whatever stain you use will be more even in color.

ARC REF6, ARC Ref PH 2SE, ARC Ref 150SE, Esot N-05, SF Oylimpia III, Garrard 301 Reed2p, WW Silver Eclipse 8, Kimber Kable Select IC XLR

C22, MC275, MR78, PS Audio Dac, Tannoy Daltons 12" Red's Tannoy ST200 Tweeters, Kimber IC's, Mac Mini, Transparent ULTRA Speaker.

Marantz 7C, Marantz, 9, & 10B Tuner, Tannoy 15" Red's in York Corner Cabinets

ARC Ref1, ARC VT 100II, MR74, Tannoy Red 12 LSU/12/8, Spider Transcription TT, Nordost Spk Cable

Fisher 400C, MR78, Fisher SA 1000, BenchMark Dac, Auditorium 23 Speaker Cables, Tannoy Supper Red 10" LSU/III/Z Monitors

ARC SP3, MC 30's, MR67, Devore Supper 8's, Wadia i171, MicroMega Dac, Transparent Supper Spk

C20, MC75's, MR71, MS300, Tannoy 12" Golds, Auditorium 23,

C11, (2)Harmon Kardon CitationII, Shindo Montille, MC2505, McIntosh 117, Audio Research ST70, Knight KB85, Pilot Sa 232, Marantz 8B

Scott 130 Preamp, Scott 272 Int, HH Scott 250's MR71 tuner, Tube Guru F2a Mono's,
Old 10-23-2013, 11:02 AM

I just used a minwax polycrylic (water based) to finish a few pieces of walnut. It has a SPF rating that keeps it from yellowing over time. With pine, I think a high SPF rating would be extremely important.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:23 AM

Thanks for the advise guys. I'll do the fine sanding and sealer first.

What do you guys think about the hand poly? What do you use for applying the stain: cloth, sponge, sponge brush, brush?
Old 10-24-2013, 02:28 AM

If you go with a high quality poly, use China Brush and apply very slowly to avoid air bubbles, do not try to touch up an area you have done, it will only make it worse, better let it dry then use steel wool 00 and reapply to area.

Good Luck

Ps Try a small area on the underside to get the hang of it, you can always sand that area

ARC REF6, ARC Ref PH 2SE, ARC Ref 150SE, Esot N-05, SF Oylimpia III, Garrard 301 Reed2p, WW Silver Eclipse 8, Kimber Kable Select IC XLR

C22, MC275, MR78, PS Audio Dac, Tannoy Daltons 12" Red's Tannoy ST200 Tweeters, Kimber IC's, Mac Mini, Transparent ULTRA Speaker.

Marantz 7C, Marantz, 9, & 10B Tuner, Tannoy 15" Red's in York Corner Cabinets

ARC Ref1, ARC VT 100II, MR74, Tannoy Red 12 LSU/12/8, Spider Transcription TT, Nordost Spk Cable

Fisher 400C, MR78, Fisher SA 1000, BenchMark Dac, Auditorium 23 Speaker Cables, Tannoy Supper Red 10" LSU/III/Z Monitors

ARC SP3, MC 30's, MR67, Devore Supper 8's, Wadia i171, MicroMega Dac, Transparent Supper Spk

C20, MC75's, MR71, MS300, Tannoy 12" Golds, Auditorium 23,

C11, (2)Harmon Kardon CitationII, Shindo Montille, MC2505, McIntosh 117, Audio Research ST70, Knight KB85, Pilot Sa 232, Marantz 8B

Scott 130 Preamp, Scott 272 Int, HH Scott 250's MR71 tuner, Tube Guru F2a Mono's,
Old 10-24-2013, 08:30 AM

I like to use an oil based gloss poly, diluted between 30-50% with mineral spirits, applied by hand with a rag. No bubbles, runs or brush marks that way. I usually apply 5-6 coats, letting it dry 4-24 hours between coats. You can sand between coats, but I often only sand before the last coat, using 320 grit. After the last coat dries, I apply furniture wax with 0000 steel wool to remove the plastic glossy look.

Second what JPrest said about starting with a sealer. Without it, the stain will appear somewhat blotchy on pine.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:25 AM

^^^^ I definitely agree with steel wool after the last coat followed by Minwax paste wax if you want a smooth glossy finish.