AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Subwoofers

Subwoofers 80hz and Down under!

Old 08-01-2009, 12:08 AM

Default Sub HZ question

Currently my MX136 sets my Sub B&W 855 to 80hz and less. My dealer saleperson stated to change it to 60hz and less and I would hear a better improvement. Any proof with this statement? Im not real intelligent when it comes to setting up sub hz frequencies. I used the default Mcintosh MX-136 settings. Should I change through the on screen menu or the dial on the rear of the sub. Currently set to 80 as well, the top volume button is set to
100 but sometimes adjusted to add or decrease the subs sound.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:51 AM

setting the freq. to 60 hz will give you a less bloated bass
Old 08-01-2009, 11:37 AM

I think it all depends on your room and what frequencies it boosts or cuts.

I would change the set up and listen to familiar music with lots of bass content, then make my decision on which setting is best. Let your ear be the final judge as all rooms are not created equal.

I would change my MX136 settings. Your sub should be set to bypass so the signal is not processed by the MX136 and the sub.
HAROLD... Pioneer Elite 7.1 Rcvr, (2)MC402 Power Amps, MC58 Multi Channel Amp, Vienna Beethovens and Oratorio Center, Boston Surrounds, (3)Outlaw Subs,(2)PS Audio PPP, Panasonic LCD Proj, Oppo Blu-ray, AppleTV, WireWorld Silver Electra Power Cords.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:23 AM

The truth is that there is not an easy answer to your question. You can achieve amazing bass with a variety of crossover points depending on the sub itself, the room, capability of your main speakers, placement of the sub in room, etc. My local dealer sells B&W, he has the top of line 801D or 800D (forget which one) crossed over at 120 or 130 Hz (!!). Why? He is running a pair of JL Audio F113's which are unusually musical and smoke the bass the B&Ws are capable of. Others, run REL subwoofers which are best crossed over lower.

There are no absolutes with subwoofer xover/placement/room interaction. You must spend the time and tune the room by ear. It can be tedious, but very rewarding. Once tuned by ear, you can explore deeper by getting a Radio Shack SPL meter, download a low frequency sweep disc (check out Realtraps.com,, free download) and find out where your peaks and valleys are in your room. ASC bass traps are essential in my mind for great low end. Room perfect EQ on the MX150 will likely prove very useful as well, especially given the large front-to-back offset your main speakers appear to demonstrate in your avatar.

happy listening....

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 03-07-2010, 10:30 PM

Depends on the room and turn your sub x-over all the way up or off.
Use the MX136.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:42 AM

Trust only your ears and a few good friends well intentioned as they may be they're not in your heart, your wallet or your room.

Listen, evaluate, compare, decide.my 2 cents.

G.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:37 PM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

80hz is ok for surround sound but is way too high for 2 channel audio. 28 t0 40hz for high performance 2 channel.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:05 PM

A lot of great in fo here, and yep generally speaking lower = less upper in your chest bass, and a tighter deeper foundation shaking bass.

But as mentioned, equipment, room etc all com into play.

I would adjust 1st from the preamp , this is an active crossover setting and thus limits what gets to the sub, less to filter the better. Then try various settings to get what you like.

Also you may find on movies etc you may alter the settings from stereo , surround sound sacd etc.

good luck
Old 03-31-2011, 11:30 PM
<INSERT TITLE HERE>

We obviously have different rooms and different gear. As others have said you need to trust you ears.

For HT, I have my front three crossed over at 40Hz and my surrounds at 60Hz. I have my LFE in my processor set to 100Hz and my sub is set all the way to 200Hz (or maybe 250). This gives me a very even engulfing experience with bass.

For 2-channel, I only use my fronts and they are set to full range. I guess you can say that I am a purist when it comes to 2.0 music.