AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Pass Labs

Pass Labs 20 Years and Counting

Old 11-08-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Hi Carlos,

Would you consider the upgrade to the XA-100.8 monoblocks? I know Reno Hifi will give you full value on the trade in from six months of purchase. Not sure where you purchased yours though.

Ken

Hi Carlos,

Correction -- The trade up period at Reno Hi Fi is 100% value for up to four months from purchase. You can still trade up after four months but 100% value is not guaranteed. I apologize for my error.

Ken
Old 11-09-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Hi Carlos, Correction -- The trade up period at Reno Hi Fi is 100% value for up to four months from purchase. You can still trade up after four months but 100% value is not guaranteed. I apologize for my error. Ken
Thanks, Ken. That's right. Four months for full credit.

Actually, I'm very happy with my system now, so why mess it up? I think I'm just going to sit tight and wait on things to play out regarding the roll out of this new Pass Labs series.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
Thanks, Ken. That's right. Four months for full credit.

Actually, I'm very happy with my system now, so why mess it up? I think I'm just going to sit tight and wait on things to play out regarding the roll out of this new Pass Labs series.
Hi Carlos,

I totally understand where you're coming from. My XA-100.5s absolutely sing and I couldn't be happier with them. I've always felt that Pass caught some lightning in a bottle with the design of the XA-100.5s. In my opinion, they are the sweet spot of the line. The amps have such a lush midrange (beautiful for jazz vocals) and are the most tube-like in presentation of the XA series. It makes me wonder if the XA-100.8s will have that same unique magic to them.

I'll definitely audition the XA-100.8s when they come out and read the reviews but I'm in no hurry to trade up. Since my amps are older than 4 months and I didn't buy from Mark, there's no advantage for me to do a quick trade in. In fact, it probably would cost me well over 20% to move up, although these amps really retain their value in the secondary market.

Best,
Ken

Last edited by PlanarSpeakerFan; 11-09-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:11 PM

Hi Everyone,

I got an update from Pass Labs today on the .8 series amplifiers. They expect to begin shipping in February. In addition, the entire .8 series will have vertical heatsinks.

I also learned some interesting information on the XA-100.8 monoblocks. The amps are approximately the same size as the XA-100.5; vertical heatsinks instead of horizontal; and they will draw slightly more power and produce slightly more heat than the XA-100.5.

As far as sound is concerned, expect more holographic imaging from the XA-100.8; deeper reaching, more even and more controlled bass; and better layering of instruments and vocals. Due to the use of the XS topology in the front end, expect overall sound to be closer to the XS series than the XA.5 series. They feel the improvement is substantial but they will leave it up to the customers to decide for themselves which they prefer, as they will continue to offer both. Lastly, the retail price of the XA-100.8 will be 17% higher than the retail price of the XA-100.5.

Cheers,
Ken

Last edited by PlanarSpeakerFan; 12-12-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:28 AM

Hallo Ken,

sorry you will really change the xa100.5 for the new .8?

I dont know how much are the price def. for a copy of xa100.8 (sure more vs the great 100.5) but price in second place, you think that the new .8 will be really so a improvement from the .5?

now with the xa100.5 i'm happy and if you go sell a copy of 100.5 (no more in production with the new 100.8?) you go have very little money...-> pay other 10k. $ to have the 100.8 ?!??!?!? uhmm, no thank!

change electronics? yes maybe in the next years but sure not with other Pass.
I have Pass, are amazing and i'm happy: if i change the ampli i will try a dartzeel/vitus/accuphase integrated (of course before listen than decide...)

what is your opinion?
thanks Omar
Old 12-13-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidho View Post
Hallo Ken,

sorry you will really change the xa100.5 for the new .8?

I dont know how much are the price def. for a copy of xa100.8 (sure more vs the great 100.5) but price in second place, you think that the new .8 will be really so a improvement from the .5?

now with the xa100.5 i'm happy and if you go sell a copy of 100.5 (no more in production with the new 100.8?) you go have very little money...-> pay other 10k. $ to have the 100.8 ?!??!?!? uhmm, no thank!

change electronics? yes maybe in the next years but sure not with other Pass.
I have Pass, are amazing and i'm happy: if i change the ampli i will try a dartzeel/vitus/accuphase integrated (of course before listen than decide...)

what is your opinion?
thanks Omar
Hi Omar,

I am just reporting what Pass Labs told me yesterday about the .8 series. I have not heard them myself, although I think they will be showing them at the CES in January.

For me to upgrade to the XA-100.8, I would have to hear a significant improvement in sound quality over my XA-100.5, with which I am extremely happy. I'll most certainly give the XA-100.8 an audition as I am pretty curious about how it sounds. But I honestly think adding a quality preamp like the XP-30 would give me a greater improvement in sound than the new model amp. The cost of the upgrade is 17% plus whatever you lose on the sale or trade-in of the XA-100.5.

Best,
Ken
Old 12-13-2013, 01:27 PM

I do prefer the styling of the older X and XA versus the XE and I am guessing that is what the .8 will look like. I too wonder how much of of difference there will be. It is nice to have options.

Last edited by Still-One; 12-13-2013 at 03:12 PM. Reason: OOPs. fixed
Old 12-13-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Hi Omar,

I am just reporting what Pass Labs told me yesterday about the .8 series. I have not heard them myself, although I think they will be showing them at the CES in January.

For me to upgrade to the XA-100.8, I would have to hear a significant improvement in sound quality over my XA-100.5, with which I am extremely happy. I'll most certainly give the XA-100.8 an audition as I am pretty curious about how it sounds. But I honestly think adding a quality preamp like the XP-30 would give me a greater improvement in sound than the new model amp. The cost of the upgrade is 17% plus whatever you lose on the sale or trade-in of the XA-100.5.

Best,
Ken
I'm with you here, Ken.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I do prefer the styling of the older X and XA versus the XE and I am guessing that is what the .8 will look like. I too wonder how much of of difference there will be. It is nice to have options.
Jim,

I totally agree with you, the styling on the .5 series is much nicer. The .8 series' faceplate is not as attractive and looks cheaper in my opinion. However, I do prefer the vertical heatsinks to the horizontal ones in both form and function. Apparently, they do a better job dissipating heat and are quieter as they heat up and cool down.

Best,
Ken
Old 12-13-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
I'm with you here, Ken.
Hi Carlos,

How is your system doing? Have you been enjoying it over the holidays? It's very nice when it all comes together.

Best,
Ken