AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 11-07-2019, 10:54 AM

Just upgraded from an MC-302 to a pair of MC-501's. Going to get them hooked up in my system this weekend. Excited

Josh
Old 11-07-2019, 01:07 PM

Congratulations, Josh. You just purchased a fine pair of amplifiers.

What speakers will you be pairing them with?

They might need a little time to warm up so don't be afraid of plugging them in and leaving them on for a while before you start the music.

I purchased mine in December and they sounded terrible at first. I was discouraged to say the least. Then I realized they were pretty cold, having been shipped via air freight from Florida to Oregon, then sat in my garage for about a week before I plugged them in.

After giving those MC501s some warm up time, they really opened up and the SQ improved dramatically.

Good luck with your new amplifiers!
Old 11-09-2019, 06:21 AM
Semi-audiophile

Went to the NY Audio Show yesterday. I didn't visit every room because I was on a specific mission, but there were a few stunners (for me), sound-wise: I listened to rooms featuring Mark Levinson, Luxman, Pass, T+A, Absolare and Carver amplification to name a few. Despite the high-dollar reference gear, at no point, despite how good things sounded, did I feel "deprived" because I had MC501s at home. Instead, I had thoughts like, "that turntable will sound good in my system" or "those speakers would be great with my 501s." No feelings of inadequacy AT ALL.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 11-12-2019, 11:47 AM
Between 2 LARGE Speakers

After living with my 501's for well over a decade, I can tell you first hand that the feelings don't diminish with time. If anything I am more amazed and even happier with the drop dead gorgeous sound and reliability, not to mention timeless looks.

Congrats, "you've taken your first step into a larger world"..sorry, I couldn't resist..!
Old 11-13-2019, 12:20 PM

I have had my Mc501's since 2009, my Strads. first came out around 2009 (although I have them 2 years), my C2300 pre amp. is from circa 2009. My music Sourse and DAC keep changing but I am pretty happy with everything else. New does not always mean better when it comes to amps and speakers.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:14 PM
Between 2 LARGE Speakers

I've had my speakers for decades. Rebuilt the crossovers, new edges on the woofer and midrange drives for the second time last year. Some updated changes to the wiring and crossover point for the woofers. Most of the speakers I've bought since the 70's, starting with a pair of ESS AMT 1-C's, Boston Acoustics T-1030's as well as my big Mc XRT22's, I've owned from new and continue to use them. The big XRT's are large efficient line arrays with low distortion drivers, and coupled to Mc501's, capable of moving some serious air, as well as drive a 16'x20' room with a 10' ceiling at insanely loud levels rivaling most live concerts.

Imaging and detail are what these speakers are all about. The 501's sound perfect playing anything from high definition digital files, SACD's tape, vinyl, even 7.1 theater duty with Mc in wall and floor standing speakers. For a LFE channel, I have 2 PS112's. No subs are ever needed, between the 501's and 2 12" sealed woofers in each cab, the bass detail and response, accuracy are the best I've ever heard. 501's are the musical of all my Mc amps, as well as vintage Marantz stuff here.

I've heard the later models that came out after the 501's are even better, however, the synergy I have with the combo I'm using continues to amaze me year after year, with no significant changes in gear since 2007, other than upgrading to VPI's Prime Signature turntable with some added goodies.

Why mess with perfection?
Old 11-13-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman007 View Post
Why mess with perfection?
Indeed!
Old 11-14-2019, 02:17 PM

I think the 501 a benchmark for Mac. It is one of the great amps of all time. That's why people cherish it. Of course there are better amps out there, just not much better. There are speakers for which it will not work because of lack of power or ridiculous impedance. But it is a timeless piece of gear and when working within its parameters produces a marvelous sound. Congrats on your purchase!
Old 11-16-2019, 11:26 AM

But many people are saying the 501 is slow and lack of grip.
Do u find so?
How do u guys counter that?

Last edited by Chericelise; 11-16-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chericelise View Post
But many people are saying the 501 is slow and lack of grip.
Do u find so?
How do u guys counter that?
The 501 is an older Mac amp. It will not deliver the current into low impedance loads the new Macs will. Also, the amp must be operating properly. The 501 will drive most speakers extremely well. I would expect it to do an excellent job in the Wilson line through the Alexia but I would not want it for my Alexx. Impedance is too low.

Are there other amps that will do a better job? Of course. But that's not the point. It will do an excellent job providing it is operating properly. "Slow and lack of grip" are fairly meaningless terms and compared to what?

I have always been a speaker aficionado. I suspect a 501 would make a Wilson Sabrina absolutely sing.

Get a good Mac amp/pre, Mac digital front end, cables, power cords, IC's, and power conditioner. I suggest AQ. Then spend your money on the speaker. If at all possible, begin with a dedicated 20 amp line and hospital grade outlet. But don't ask the 501 to do too much. It is not a super amp.

I have said it many times before but I believe in sound signatures. Good companies have a house sound. Find companies whose sound you like. The high end is all about personal taste. It's what makes it fun. Stay within your sound signatures and and you will be happier because you will be much less prone to be carried away by the "latest and greatest".

Last edited by Charles; 11-19-2019 at 06:04 AM.