AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 01-21-2015, 09:29 AM

Caption: We don't repair these things.....but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 146_4686chuckhintonmcintoshms300.jpg (12.8 KB, 45 views)
Old 01-23-2015, 07:46 AM

But seriously for a moment...........I think it would be interesting to hear if anyone has experienced a mother board of Seagate 750 failure (forget the Maxtors which were not "taxi tested tough") AFTER their power supply was rebuilt with the upgraded caps. Anyone......?
Old 01-23-2015, 06:41 PM

Default SFX form factor power supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogeek View Post
Thanks Cohibaman! I will verify if I have the same caps as mentioned in this thread, and I am going to re-cap mine.
As for the power supplies - Yes, any ATX power supply should work from a power perspective. The voltages are correct, and the plug types match if it has Molex connectors. However, at first glance, that Silverstone Power supply you mentioned appears to have the fan located on the top of the unit, which means that you would probably need to relocated the HD for adequate cooling. It also looks too tall to mount it sideways under the HD bracket. Does it fit between the mainboard and the side-rail? If it fits sideways (Fan towards Mainboard) without relocating the HD then it's a winner in my book! The Antec MT352 was very reliable, fits the spot, and I just happened to have one left in the garage to test with. I am sure there are better options available.
I only took measurements and in theory, the SilverStone ST45SF-G should easily fit under the hard drive with its fan facing up. The power supply is extremely efficient so the fan doesn't come on until it's being taxed, like while supplying a power-hungry PC tower. Because the MS300/750 draws so little power to begin with, I really doubt it would ever come on. If it even does come on, it would actually help cool the hard drive to some extent.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:21 PM

Does anyone think it is worth changing out a working standard issue power supply with something "new" to reduce the risk of a catastrophic failure blowing the BIOS and motherboard?

If so, how hard is this to do?

-michael
Old 01-23-2015, 08:24 PM

Well I guess I'm in good company with my MS300 now just blinking. Took cover off and saw some brown stain by two misshaped caps, I wiggled them just slightly and powered it back up and it ran fine. So I've shut it down now before a disaster. Can I send the power supply to Ft Worth?????

Thank You in advance and for all the leg work!!!

John Prest

ARC REF6, ARC Ref PH 2SE, ARC Ref 150SE, Esot N-05, SF Oylimpia III, Garrard 301 Reed2p, WW Silver Eclipse 8, Kimber Kable Select IC XLR

C22, MC275, MR78, PS Audio Dac, Tannoy Daltons 12" Red's Tannoy ST200 Tweeters, Kimber IC's, Mac Mini, Transparent ULTRA Speaker.

Marantz 7C, Marantz, 9, & 10B Tuner, Tannoy 15" Red's in York Corner Cabinets

ARC Ref1, ARC VT 100II, MR74, Tannoy Red 12 LSU/12/8, Spider Transcription TT, Nordost Spk Cable

Fisher 400C, MR78, Fisher SA 1000, BenchMark Dac, Auditorium 23 Speaker Cables, Tannoy Supper Red 10" LSU/III/Z Monitors

ARC SP3, MC 30's, MR67, Devore Supper 8's, Wadia i171, MicroMega Dac, Transparent Supper Spk

C20, MC75's, MR71, MS300, Tannoy 12" Golds, Auditorium 23,

C11, (2)Harmon Kardon CitationII, Shindo Montille, MC2505, McIntosh 117, Audio Research ST70, Knight KB85, Pilot Sa 232, Marantz 8B

Scott 130 Preamp, Scott 272 Int, HH Scott 250's MR71 tuner, Tube Guru F2a Mono's,
Old 01-23-2015, 08:32 PM

I would just give a call and ask to speak to Otis. He i a really nice guy to deal with
Old 01-24-2015, 04:23 AM

I second that. And your shutdown was the best move to make for sure. Otis does first class work and at $117 (if you send him board only) plus shipping very fair pricing for the board refirb. He may have to order the caps as I think I took his last supply, so maybe 3 weeks down time for you, but that is nothing in the scheme of things.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrest View Post
Well I guess I'm in good company with my MS300 now just blinking. Took cover off and saw some brown stain by two misshaped caps, I wiggled them just slightly and powered it back up and it ran fine. So I've shut it down now before a disaster. Can I send the power supply to Ft Worth????? Thank You in advance and for all the leg work!!! John Prest
John,

Since you graciously helped me out earlier, I'll offer you this...

Buy the components from Mouser that I listed, send them and your power supply to me & I'll rebuild it for free. Just cover the return shipping.

- Mike
Old 01-24-2015, 09:44 PM

Wow how cool is that!! I'll place my order on Monday.

Thanks Again very nice gesture on your part.

Peace,
John

ARC REF6, ARC Ref PH 2SE, ARC Ref 150SE, Esot N-05, SF Oylimpia III, Garrard 301 Reed2p, WW Silver Eclipse 8, Kimber Kable Select IC XLR

C22, MC275, MR78, PS Audio Dac, Tannoy Daltons 12" Red's Tannoy ST200 Tweeters, Kimber IC's, Mac Mini, Transparent ULTRA Speaker.

Marantz 7C, Marantz, 9, & 10B Tuner, Tannoy 15" Red's in York Corner Cabinets

ARC Ref1, ARC VT 100II, MR74, Tannoy Red 12 LSU/12/8, Spider Transcription TT, Nordost Spk Cable

Fisher 400C, MR78, Fisher SA 1000, BenchMark Dac, Auditorium 23 Speaker Cables, Tannoy Supper Red 10" LSU/III/Z Monitors

ARC SP3, MC 30's, MR67, Devore Supper 8's, Wadia i171, MicroMega Dac, Transparent Supper Spk

C20, MC75's, MR71, MS300, Tannoy 12" Golds, Auditorium 23,

C11, (2)Harmon Kardon CitationII, Shindo Montille, MC2505, McIntosh 117, Audio Research ST70, Knight KB85, Pilot Sa 232, Marantz 8B

Scott 130 Preamp, Scott 272 Int, HH Scott 250's MR71 tuner, Tube Guru F2a Mono's,
Old 01-24-2015, 10:34 PM

Default MSXXX Power Supply

Gentlemen:
This has been one of the best threads I have seen!
I have read a lot of threads, both on audio forums and digital photography forums over the past 13 years. This is the best ever.
There has been no "putting down" others for their opinions or efforts.
Rather, there have been several worthwhile and helpful posts.
There was some discussion about finding someone to draft a petition to McIntosh about the problem. I have 45 years experience in the accounting business. I have had pretty good success in writing "cry baby letters" (as one client calls them) to IRS. But, I do not know enough about the technical aspect to attempt to do anything.
I think the MUCH better suggestion is the personal contact mentioned in some posts. It has been my experience that when I knew someone in a regulatory agency and could pick up the phone and just talk through the problem, there was a MUCH better solution - as well as much quicker results.
I believe this is the best way to approach the matter, particularly if there is anyone with a technical background who has a "relationship" with someone at McIntosh. I suggest starting with the highest level person at McIntosh that anyone knows.
I learned a long time ago that if the Bank President took me to a loan officer and said, "pleas help Jim with this problem", it worked a lot better than when a teller said "go talk with that man at that desk".
So, the highest level at which the matter could be started (presuming there is a good relationship with that person) would be the best. Of course, if there were "feelers" out to the "line workers" (with VERY good relationships with people on this forum) to lay the groundwork, it would make matters easier when the higher level person said "can we do this."
I just wish I knew someone at McIntosh. I have "drooled" over their gear since 1963 or 1964 - but I know no one there.
I second the comment in one post that Ivan would be a good choice for the upper level contact.
But, if there are technical people with good relationships with workers at McIntosh, that contact should be pursued simultaneously.
Just my thoughts.
Thanks,
Jim