AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 04-23-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
If so then would it not be the DAC rather the implementation?

I am very happy with the results I have been getting with my MCD-1100 using the ESS DAC's. That does not mean that solutions using other DAC technologies (non-32bit) might not offer very pleasing results. You can only AB so many units in your home.

Jim
There is a range of performance that has to do with the DAC plus the engineering. There are overlaps on performance on many products because of this combination. I think that the 121 DAC is well-engineered but is limited by the DAC itself and I don't ever seeing surpassing overall performance against a well-engineering Sabre component. I have never seen someone say that they are dumping their MCD1100 for the Oppo95 which is probably a good indication that the engineering component of the MCD1100 is superior to the Oppo's since they have the same DACs.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 PM

Now we are starting to get to goal of this thread. Since the Oppo95 and the MCD1100 use the same DAC chips, then any differences in the way they sound will be due to the engineering before and after the chips. So the question becomes, how much better is the MCD1100 than the Oppo95? Is it 10 times better? The degree to which the MCD1100 is better gives us a feeling for the relevance Mac can play in a digital world. Most of us will agree that Mac is the best or near the best with analogue including amps, preamps, etc. But for Mac to grow earnings, which is what the changes we have seen are about, then they must be better in the digital realm as well. Not only must they design their components for over the net firmware updates but they must sound better too. So, do they? I am considering another MCD1100 for my other system. Is it enough better than the Oppo95 to buy both and leave the Oppo to video or is just the Oppo95 enough?
Old 04-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Genuflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwschwartz View Post
Now we are starting to get to goal of this thread. Since the Oppo95 and the MCD1100 use the same DAC chips, then any differences in the way they sound will be due to the engineering before and after the chips. So the question becomes, how much better is the MCD1100 than the Oppo95? Is it 10 times better? The degree to which the MCD1100 is better gives us a feeling for the relevance Mac can play in a digital world. Most of us will agree that Mac is the best or near the best with analogue including amps, preamps, etc. But for Mac to grow earnings, which is what the changes we have seen are about, then they must be better in the digital realm as well. Not only must they design their components for over the net firmware updates but they must sound better too. So, do they? I am considering another MCD1100 for my other system. Is it enough better than the Oppo95 to buy both and leave the Oppo to video or is just the Oppo95 enough?
... and when comparing the relative inve$tment$ of the two options (assuming finite funds) does it not also make sense to consider that technology marches on? What is considered bleeding edge today will trickle into mainstream before long. With that, would you rather spend a lot more now for a component that will likely lose a larger absolute number of dollars upon resale - or - buy the lower cost item that sounds nearly as good in anticipation of eventual replacement by the new quantum computing super-conducting DAC (or whatever it will be) that's on it's way?

Frankly, this is why I've chosen the '95 for analog playback. Doesn't mean I think it sounds better than the mighty 1100, only that it's closer than the >10X price delta suggests (and yes, less feature rich to be sure).

Apologies to the OP for veering slightly further off topi
Old 04-23-2012, 09:24 PM

For LP collectors in this forum, this is no different than the exponential curve that develops between LP condition and price as condition gets better. A difference between a mint and a nm record is exponentially more expensive in classical and jazz records, although one could never say that a mint record sounds 5 times better than the nm one as the price might suggest....
Old 04-23-2012, 09:34 PM

And it also all depends on which table it is spinned, and the arm used, and the cartridge's tracking ability (focus).
Old 04-23-2012, 10:58 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
+1 I agree.

You can find excellent solutions using a variety of DAC's from companies such as McIntosh, Esoteric, Zanden, Wadia, DCS, Playback Design, etc.

Jim
Don't forget Wadia and Schiit.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 04-23-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:00 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjazz View Post
For LP collectors in this forum, this is no different than the exponential curve that develops between LP condition and price as condition gets better. A difference between a mint and a nm record is exponentially more expensive in classical and jazz records, although one could never say that a mint record sounds 5 times better than the nm one as the price might suggest....
Hmmm....I find that interesting because I buy absolutely mint used classical LPs all the time for an average price of $3.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
And Schiit as well.
Holy Schiit! I forgot about that one
Old 04-23-2012, 11:07 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Da*n straight.

I know the name provides an opportunity for many "scatological" jokes, but the higher level of maturity of folks here have kept those to a minimum, at least!

Over at another forum, though, those of us seriously interested in this company's products couldn't have any meaningful discussions about the new upcoming Gungnir design without wading through "the stables" of jokes, so to speak!

This company is a mover and the real deal, though. I sold my Bifrost to a good buddy and he is absolutely thrilled with it.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Da*n straight.

I know the name provides an opportunity for many "scatological" jokes, but the higher level of maturity of folks here have kept those to a minimum, at least!

Over at another forum, though, those of us seriously interested in this company's products couldn't have any meaningful discussions about the new upcoming Gungnir design without wading through "the stables" of jokes, so to speak!

This company is a mover and the real deal, though. I sold my Bifrost to a good buddy and he is absolutely thrilled with it.
Present company excepted. "Lo Siento"