AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 06-21-2019, 07:25 AM

Thanks Masterlu!

Stahle

I like the PMC, they are really good speakers.
I just think they are not on a HI-END level. I particularly like the bass performance on them. They still seem to go more at low end than 804d3, but the 804d3 bass seems to be faster and fatter.

I'll see if I can record a video of them and upload youtube to you, although I find it hard to get a real idea of the performance of the speakers in that way.

My amp is a Cambridge Edge A, I tested it with my 3500 Denon as well.

But before moving on to Cambridge Edge A I had a Naim Supernait2 and I particularly preferred PMC + EdgeA.

My current system is: Bluesond node2i> Qutest> EdgeA> 804D3

Thanks
Old 06-25-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henriqueoc View Post
Stahle

I like the PMC, they are really good speakers.

I just think they are not on a HI-END level. I particularly like the bass performance on them. They still seem to go more at low end than 804d3, but the 804d3 bass seems to be faster and fatter.

I'll see if I can record a video of them and upload youtube to you, although I find it hard to get a real idea of the performance of the speakers in that way.

My amp is a Cambridge Edge A, I tested it with my 3500 Denon as well.

But before moving on to Cambridge Edge A I had a Naim Supernait2 and I particularly preferred PMC + EdgeA.

My current system is: Bluesond node2i> Qutest> EdgeA> 804D3

Thanks

Well I finally was able to listen to the two speakers and this is what makes our hobby interesting, while you would say the PMC’s are not “HI-END”, I would completely disagree and found them more engaging and better sounding than the B&W’s. I guess to each their own. Now the question is do I buy them and completely change my room aesthetic?
Old 09-01-2019, 03:10 PM

I have been considering 804d3 and not considering the 803d3 due to the significant cost difference and since I have a small room 13x15 either speaker pair will more than fill my room. I plan to position my speakers as close to the front wall as possible and the front firing port on 804 seemed ideal but I cannot tell how the 803 port fires. Please advise.

This becomes relevant as I have located a gently used pair of 803d3 for $12,500 within 3hrs of me. Can a pair of boxed 803d3 fit in the back of my GMC Yukon? Any thoughts on if that’s a fair price? Seller says 10/10 barely 150h on them, smoke and animal free
Old 09-01-2019, 03:21 PM

803 / 802 / 800 D3 all have a down firing port to the base.

This is similar to previous generation 802 / 801 / 800 models.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:57 AM

Gdfein
The 803 D3 is definitely worth the extra because it has most of the upgrades of the D3 generation, like the separate mid range head. I love my 803 D3 sound and looks. Remember that B&W speakers are power hungry so if your amplifier is not powerful then 804 will be a better match unless you upgrade. I fitted mine in a Volvo XC90. If I remember correctly that is usual asking price, I would bargain a little not much, especially if they are mint as described. Good luck.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdfein View Post
I have been considering 804d3 and not considering the 803d3 due to the significant cost difference and since I have a small room 13x15 either speaker pair will more than fill my room. I plan to position my speakers as close to the front wall as possible and the front firing port on 804 seemed ideal but I cannot tell how the 803 port fires. Please advise.

This becomes relevant as I have located a gently used pair of 803d3 for $12,500 within 3hrs of me. Can a pair of boxed 803d3 fit in the back of my GMC Yukon? Any thoughts on if that’s a fair price? Seller says 10/10 barely 150h on them, smoke and animal free
I purchased mine used from a local dealer for slightly more but they set them up for me. Before I purchased I was considering the 804d3 but realized I won’t be satisfied if I didn’t get the 803d3. Looking for a amp now.
Marantz SR7012, Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Thorens TD318, B&W 803D3, LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, Pulse2, (3)Flex, DefTech AW6500, MAC, Sony XBR850e65 ....
Old 09-18-2019, 11:11 AM

I got my pair of 802D3 speakers for just a little more that what you are looking to pay for your 803d3 speakers. There are deals out there....