AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Member System Forum

Member System Forum System Pictures and Descriptions

Old 04-15-2015, 04:26 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops-tube View Post
They're actually from one of my brothers. They're an older, discontinued model which were replaced with the still current RTiA9. They're basically identical other than the new curved enclosures. Everything else including the specs are the same.

RTiA9 - Polk Audio

Even if they are considered "cheap" compared to the gear on this forum, these speakers actually sound pretty darn good. They actually outperform the NHT 2.9's which are no slouch either.

Where they excel over the NHT's is in the bass, not necessarily in quantity or extension as they are both very similar, but in the speed and detail of the bass. One of the benefits of having six smaller 7" drivers working in unison verses two 10" drivers working in unison. They're more tactile, provide more texture, and have more extension and "oomph" at low volumes.
If I read the specs correctly, the RTiA9 and your RTi12 go down to 30Hz, deeper than the new flagship LSiM707. Odd that a flagship wouldn't have the bigger specs over the previous model.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 04-15-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
If I read the specs correctly, the RTiA9 and your RTi12 go down to 30Hz, deeper than the new flagship LSiM707. Odd that a flagship wouldn't have the bigger specs over the previous model.
I don't know. I couldn't tell you why the older, lower models go lower. What I can tell you is that these RTi12's (and I'm sure the RTiA9's) reach down well below that in-room. We watched Interstellar the other night and all I can say is that we heard and felt bass coming out of these speakers much stronger and much lower than the NHT 2.9's, and I had measured the 2.9's in this very room down to a usable 18-20 Hz. The Polk's go lower, or at least they have considerably more usable output at those frequencies.

On Polk's site, for the A9's (and my 12's), the specs say "Electrical Lower Limit -3 dB" of 30 Hz, then it says "Electrical Total Frequency Response" of 18 Hz - 27 kHz.

I'm not exactly sure what that means. Maybe it means the Polk's start rolling off at 30 Hz in an anechoic chamber but is capable of extending down to 18 Hz with room gain. I don't know, but I'm certain they're reaching down that low in my room.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:45 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
I don't know. I couldn't tell you why the older, lower models go lower. What I can tell you is that these RTi12's (and I'm sure the RTiA9's) reach down well below that in-room. We watched Interstellar the other night and all I can say is that we heard and felt bass coming out of these speakers much stronger and much lower than the NHT 2.9's, and I had measured the 2.9's in this very room down to a usable 18-20 Hz. The Polk's go lower, or at least they have considerably more usable output at those frequencies.

On Polk's site, for the A9's (and my 12's), the specs say "Electrical Lower Limit -3 dB" of 30 Hz, then it says "Electrical Total Frequency Response" of 18 Hz - 27 kHz.

I'm not exactly sure what that means. Maybe it means the Polk's start rolling off at 30 Hz in an anechoic chamber but is capable of extending down to 18 Hz with room gain. I don't know, but I'm certain they're reaching down that low in my room.
I saw that too, and it was confusing to me also. Crutchfield has the A9s at 30Hz to 26KHz; they're the "the flagship speaker in Polk's newly redesigned RTi Series." Usable bass is always deeper than the stated specs, so I can believe the A12s go as low as you say. My speakers have usable bass (anechoic) at 24HZ with a standard of 30Hz. You don't really need a sub with the kind of bass you're getting. You must be happy!
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 04-17-2015, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
I saw that too, and it was confusing to me also. Crutchfield has the A9s at 30Hz to 26KHz; they're the "the flagship speaker in Polk's newly redesigned RTi Series." Usable bass is always deeper than the stated specs, so I can believe the A12s go as low as you say. My speakers have usable bass (anechoic) at 24HZ with a standard of 30Hz. You don't really need a sub with the kind of bass you're getting. You must be happy!
Definitely a plus that these are fullrange. I've never really been too keen on subs except for a pair of open baffle subs that I built years ago, but they were huge and ugly. With that said, they were (and still are) the best sounding subs I've ever heard. They were just so dynamic and detailed.

But anyway, yes, these Polk's do mighty fine on their own. And that's a good thing because any subs that are out there in my price range seem to be only good for movie use. Since I use my system for 90% music, using speakers that require a sub would suck. Haha
Old 04-19-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks. And who's Charlie?
My apologies as I have only recently learned to read!
Old 05-02-2015, 08:22 PM

I made a few changes to the setup today.

I switched out my amp temporarily with one of my brothers, his Marsh Audio A200s. I reinstalled my Pioneer Elite PD-D6J SACD player, patched into the Bifrost as the Marantz receiver has no more analog inputs. And lastly, I have finally decided to move on from my beloved NHT 2.9's, giving the Polk RTi12's back to my brother, and most likely purchasing these Monitor Audio BX6's.

As usual, some pics to go along with the story.

Last edited by jdandy; 05-02-2015 at 08:33 PM. Reason: No selling allowed outside of the Marketplace.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:56 AM

Hmm...

Anyway, just added something else to the mix. Actually, swapped it out with the Marsh amp, and from what I can tell so far at whisper levels (it is well past 1am), it sounds considerably better than the Marsh amp.

The little SS Audio Research D130. Mint inside and out. After a good couple of hours for it to warm up, I sat down for a listen. Well, you can see I'm still sitting here listening.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:59 PM

A few more pics...

Old 05-07-2015, 10:40 PM

The solid state version of tube dampers.

Last edited by chops-tube; 05-07-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:19 AM

Love yer kitty!