AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Stillpoints

Stillpoints Lower Your Noise Floor

Old 01-28-2018, 08:47 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Default More Tweaking and Voila a New Sound!

When I installed my D’Agostino Momentum monos I used the HRS Vector isolation feet sitting between my monos and the HRS M3X platforms. Everything was mounted outside the cabinet, then slid into the cabinet like butter, but man, even for me that’s some serious weight - the amps are front HEAVY!

Last year, I had a pair of Focal 1038’s with Stillpoint Ultra SS under them making a great sound, but changed speakers to my Alexias and decided to run the Wilson spikes after much debate.

So there sat the Ultra SS doing nothing, so hitting the easy button I added bases to the Ultra SS, pulled the Ultra Minis from the Aurender N10 and Direct Stream DAC, and used the Ultras under the N10 and DAC.

I moved the Ultra Minis from the N10 and DAC to the Oppo 205 and Memory Transport and repurposed some under my Integra AV making an across the board difference - Mission accomplished, everything fell into place or so I thought...

I have been having the blues lately wanting more from my system but wanted to hold tight as I just put in 6 Nordost Reference Valhalla 2 cables and the year hasn’t even started. I decided today to take the cheap approach and bribe my son that if he would help me pull the amps I would take him for a chocolate shake, he agreed. Plus we are getting winds from the Pineapple Express coming from Hawaii making it 60 degrees here in Seattle today, with no rain so he was all about that.

So in 45 minutes we moved the Ultra SS with bases to now sit under my Momentum monos, placed the Vectors under the Oppo 205 and Memory Player Transport and moved the Ultra Minis back to the Aurender N10 and Direct Stream DAC.

Did some dusting, cable unplug, replug and powered up.

It so worked! It gave me more detail, resolution, depth and then some. Why I didn’t do this at the onset don’t know, other then being lazy but kinda glad I didn’t as I now am truly blown away months later and it now just bought me some time just to sit back, listen and enjoy what I have playing in front of me.

Long story yes, but this is a forum for reading. The message in this posting is to play around with what you have you may get more without having to spend, this assumes power, wall and isolation have been addressed.

Hope this helps someone, best listening to all!