AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > JL Audio

JL Audio Ahead of the Curve

Old 08-24-2016, 09:18 PM

Default CR-1 and two f-113 set up

The set up question. I have a cr-1 and two fathom f-113 subs. I am using rca cables. What is the best way to get started on this set up? Do I defete the controls on the sub, do I still use the roa system on the f-113s? Seems to me the master/slave switch should both be set to master and one rca run to each sub. From there I am in need of some suggestions
Old 08-25-2016, 08:23 AM

Good question, master/slave versus straight stereo master/master set up. Is the master/slave configuration primarily related to linking the room correction? What does it say in the CR1 manual?

You will want to max the crossover settings on the subs, the CR1 will now handle that. The phase setting on the sub remains critical as does the room placement. I highly recommend getting Barry the Soundoctor's test disc and carefully read his set up instructions. You may want to give him a call at JL as well, but I suggest you first familiarize yourself with his instructions.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:13 PM

I did order the disc. Seems like master/master and eliminate the controls on the sub and just use the cr-1.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie55 View Post
I did order the disc. Seems like master/master and eliminate the controls on the sub and just use the cr-1.
I have the CR-1 and (2) f112 subs. Mine are set up this way. I read Barry's papers and the manual 3-4 times but when I got it right it was worth the effort.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:30 PM

Perhaps a separate thread, but I have the cr-1s and feel no need for a sub. Appreciate comments on drivers for the sub decision.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:32 PM
Greetings from NC

Barry lives about 40 minutes from my house so he came to my house to integrate my two F113's with my system. It makes for a fun and interesting day. He is one of the best guys and a master at setting up the speakers and subs. If you have the chance I suggest you call and invite him over. There is a small fee charge and will take a good lunch you both will enjoy but well worth the day. Barry is delightful. You will be totally secure when he is finished.
Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack
Old 08-25-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
Perhaps a separate thread, but I have the cr-1s and feel no need for a sub. Appreciate comments on drivers for the sub decision.
weird Cuba we are talking about the JL Audio CR-1 active x-over I'm sure your TADs do not require a sub
Old 08-25-2016, 10:05 PM

Whew. I was thinking - I must be missing something, cause I thought these things sounded great!
Old 08-26-2016, 05:38 PM

Yup, that sounds like the way to go on the JL CR1 settings. Barry is The Man!

Cuba, your TADs are one of the best speakers I have ever heard (and I've heard and owned some great speakers). The bass is amazing for their size. I do wonder what a properly set up JL CR1 and f113 pair would add. That could be a true giant killer. I've had the great pleasure of meeting Andrew Jones a couple of times. I was humbled in the presence of greatness.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:06 PM

The disc came today. Going to try and get a little time in the next few days to work with everything. Also have a dvx 14/10 to use, its helpful to see whats going on in the room