AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 08-10-2017, 07:24 PM

Thanks, Greg. I am very used to the metal remote. It also happens to be able to control my Arcam SSP and, of course, the C-5 player. So it works for me ergonomically and functionally. I'll try the QX-5 remote eventually but don't feel compelled to unwrap it.

One thing I'm confused about is page 12 of the KX-5 manual. It references a "1/0" remote button that puts the preamp in sleep mode. There's no such button on the metal remote. I'm assuming the button is there on the QX-5 remote. Then on page 15 is a drawing of the metal remote.

I'm a writer by profession and have written instruction manuals before, so my reaction is what gives? They need to update their manual.

I'll give my thoughts on the sound as I move along, Greg.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:24 PM

Alex, who's gone now, wrote the manuals. He's not a tech guy, but has done a good job overall. the nice thing is that most of their dealers have the answers and if not, Ayre themselves will be more than helpful and will listen.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
Thanks, Greg. I am very used to the metal remote. It also happens to be able to control my Arcam SSP and, of course, the C-5 player. So it works for me ergonomically and functionally. I'll try the QX-5 remote eventually but don't feel compelled to unwrap it.

One thing I'm confused about is page 12 of the KX-5 manual. It references a "1/0" remote button that puts the preamp in sleep mode. There's no such button on the metal remote. I'm assuming the button is there on the QX-5 remote. Then on page 15 is a drawing of the metal remote.

I'm a writer by profession and have written instruction manuals before, so my reaction is what gives? They need to update their manual.

I'll give my thoughts on the sound as I move along, Greg.
There is an on off button on the QX-5 remote that puts the preamp into the sleep mode. Packaged in with my new KX-5 there was a separate instruction insert for the new QX-5 remote.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGale View Post
There is an on off button on the QX-5 remote that puts the preamp into the sleep mode. Packaged in with my new KX-5 there was a separate instruction insert for the new QX-5 remote.
Interesting. The lower power button on the metal remote can control the sleep/un-sleep on the KX-5. It was a "duh" moment after trying to find the "1/0" button the manual referenced.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsooner View Post
Alex, who's gone now, wrote the manuals. He's not a tech guy, but has done a good job overall. the nice thing is that most of their dealers have the answers and if not, Ayre themselves will be more than helpful and will listen.
Yeah, I went to Michael directly about the status of my preamp a couple of weeks ago when the ETA surpassed three months. I asked my dealer for status a couple of times and resisted bugging Michael, but he has been always helpful whenever I reached out to him.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:32 PM

Wonder how db made out with his KX-5.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:10 PM

db is not a happy camper. I've yet to hear anything through the KX-5/20. The manual is the worst I've experienced, and the remote is not the one they show. I can't even assign inputs. I started by trying custom names. After a lot fiddling I finally got one set up, but couldn't get to the next one. I unplugged and switched power off and waited, with the idea of using names in the list. After putting a couple of names in I pressed left button to close setup -- nothing but a red ring, not the display the instructions led me to expect. Charles Hanson should look at a Cary, Oppo, or Parasound manual, and be ashamed. I did get some nice wooden blocks, though a lot of good they will do with no sound. I'll try again tomorrow. I've reached my frustration point.

db
Old 08-16-2017, 09:52 AM

Sorry to hear, man. Yes, the remote is not the one they supplied. I ranted about that in posts here. The UI does take some getting used to, but something seems amiss. Here to help if you need it.

Last edited by will; 08-16-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:52 PM

I had planned to try setting up the preamp this morning, but have been on the phone all morning and into afternoon dealing first with a scammer who claimed my iMac had been hacked and wanted $700 in iTune cards then with Apple tech who undid the stuff the scammer had installed.

The most annoying part of the preamp setup is an instruction to rotate the knob until you come up with the name or letter you want then select it, with no information about how to select it. Then there's the photo of a remote like the one I use with my C-5xeMP and a notation that the bottom area controls the integrated in a manual supposedly devoted to the KX-5/20.

When I finish with the computer scam, I'll retry the preamp which, after a night without power, is sitting in standby. I'm on hold waiting to learn if I can cancel the iTune cards or need to spend them.

db
Old 08-16-2017, 08:06 PM

The KX-5/20 is up and running. Even without break-in it sounds superb, much greater detail and sense of transparency than the K-5xeMP provided, and with even better control of the bass. The boat anchor that came with my C-5xeMP also controls the KX-5/20, so I'm now a happy camper. Thanks for the encouragement.

db