AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Pass Labs

Pass Labs 20 Years and Counting

Old 01-06-2014, 04:36 PM

If I was going to spend as much money as a pair of XA200.5s cost, I'd probably wait until the .8 models came out. maybe an xa160.8 instead for a similar price
Old 01-06-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scb View Post
If I was going to spend as much money as a pair of XA200.5s cost, I'd probably wait until the .8 models came out. maybe an xa160.8 instead for a similar price
Paul already bought the XA200.5s and now wants to build system around them.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scb View Post
SCB,

Thanks for your thoughts. That is exactly why I own the XA200.5. I effectively stole them from my dealer and have an agreed upon window to trade up to either the XS or XA.8's with full credit for the price I paid for the XA200.5.

My sense after lengthy discussions with Pass is that the XS will be the more likely rout if and when I make the move since the XA.8's go half way between the XA.5 sound and the XS. I have a lot of listening to do between now and then. In the mean time I feel I have a pretty good set of amps to build my next system around.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Hi Paul,

Congrats on purchasing a world-class amplifier in the XA-200.5 monoblocks. Since you will be building a reference level set-up, I think it is very important to demo as much gear as possible in your own home to hear what matches best. I realize this might be a major PITA but I think it could save you thousands of dollars in the long run. I know Reno Hi Fi for example will give you a 10-day in home demo of their Pass preamps. Many other dealers will also be willing to loan you components to try at home. I realize in the case of very large and heavy speakers, there will most likely be set-up charge involved but ultimately this will help you to avoid any unhappy surprises once you've purchased. I guess the main idea is to take your time, try many different options and to trust your own ears because others' preference may not be your preference.

Best of luck on your audio journey,
Ken

Ken,

Thanks much for your good insights. Truly the only way to demo the speakers is in your own room, but as you point out it can be a logistically complex and the art of optimization can itself be a long-term, complex process given all the remaining system components.

My goal is to start with the best speaker complement to the XA200.5's I can find from show room trials; pull the trigger; take them home and spend a year or so to determine if I can dial it in to what I consider something I want to live with long term. I the mean time, I am trying to choose my show room path through input on forums. This is how I fell in love with the Pass gear.

Oh.....one more thing, I hope to have a little fun along the way.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
Paul already bought the XA200.5s and now wants to build system around them.
Ahh, I see now. I can read. I swear
Old 01-08-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
+1...my understanding is that folks at Pass are very friendly and helpful. I would however not call this week since they will be in Las Vegas launching their new .8 line.
I guess the one advantage of calling this week is that I got the opportunity to talk with Nelson Pass himself about the new XA-100.8. He spent about 20 minutes explaining the topology of the new amp and the differences in sound between the XA-100.5 and XA-100.8. He's a really nice guy and I appreciated him taking the time to explain it all to me.

Cheers,
Ken
Old 01-08-2014, 10:24 PM

Do tell ken!!!!!
Old 01-09-2014, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio View Post
Do tell ken!!!!!
Paul,

It's difficult to do his explanation justice but I'll give it my best shot. Nelson said the main difference between the .8 series and the .5 series is that they have brought the SET amp topology that has been perfected in the input section of the XS series amps to the .8 series amps in a much more affordable package. They have also beefed up the transformer and made various other parts upgrades in the .8 series. The primary difference in sound is in the presentation. The overall texture is improved through superior layering. Each individual instrument or voice will be able to be discerned with more detail, clarity and holographic imaging than in the .5 series. The actual timbres of instruments and vocals should not change. So expect the same warm, sweet and organic timbres that you've grown accustomed to in the .5 series. Nelson expects that the .8 series will eventually replace the .5 series but they will continue to offer both in the intermediate term.

Best,
Ken

Last edited by PlanarSpeakerFan; 01-09-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Paul, It's difficult to do his explanation justice but I'll give it my best shot. Nelson said the main difference between the .8 series and the .5 series is that they have brought the SET amp topology that has been perfected in the input section of the XS series amps to the .8 series amps in a much more affordable package. They have also beefed up the transformer and made various other parts upgrades in the .8 series. The primary difference in sound is in the presentation. The overall texture is improved through superior layering. Each individual instrument or voice will be able to be discerned with more detail, clarity and holographic imaging than in the .5 series. The actual timbres of instruments and vocals should not change. So expect the same warm, sweet and organic timbres that you've grown accustomed to in the .5 series. Nelson expects that the .8 series will eventually replace the .5 series but they will continue to offer both in the intermediate term. Best, Ken
Excellent description, Ken. Thanks for the update.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:29 PM

Not sure this link will work but here is more specifics on the .8 series of amplifiers....

More on the new Pass Labs Dot-8 Series | Confessions of a Part-Time Audiophile

Chuck